Topic: Very messy beginning layers (pics)

Greetings,
So I have been having this problem for as long as I can remember but recently its been extra bad, so I was wondering if there's a way to fix it.

Im printing with Hatchbox white ABS at 240 and bed is at 100

The first 20 layers or so looks like this

http://i.imgur.com/CqOPR5V.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cj9uO1X.jpg

Because of of this ABS builds up around the end of the nozzle.

My bed is a level as I can feel (paper under nozzle method) I also set my Z stop a few times. I also did extrusion test to make sure its not over extruding.

What else should I try?

Re: Very messy beginning layers (pics)

How did you calibrate your extrusion. This still looks like over extrusion. What kind of printer are we talking about and does it have any mods?

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Looks like it may be time to give the bed a good cleaning then retreat with hair spray or glu whatever you use . and yes looks like over extrusion as well. I have had similar  problems  . I have used the same piece of glass for almost a a year and have never cleaned it . Time to change or clean the glass me thinks.

Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

carl_m1968 wrote:

How did you calibrate your extrusion. This still looks like over extrusion. What kind of printer are we talking about and does it have any mods?

I did the 100mm straw method. And it's measuring pretty much 100mm. Sorry forgot to mention it's a S4 with e3d lite6 with glass bed

Tin Falcon wrote:

Looks like it may be time to give the bed a good cleaning then retreat with hair spray or glu whatever you use . and yes looks like over extrusion as well. I have had similar  problems  . I have used the same piece of glass for almost a a year and have never cleaned it . Time to change or clean the glass me thinks.

Tin

My bed was fresh with fresh glue stick. I normally clean it after every two or three prints so glue doesn't build up.
Ahhh maybe I should try change the glass. I had it for a while now maybe almost a year

looks like too much plastic and your nozzle is dragging and looks like the layers are lifting in spots.
clean the bed plate and check the extrusion multiplier in slic3r. may need to lower it a  bit.
Also what is your first layer speed set for.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

Can you post some of your settings? Your extrusion multiplier may be in the ballpark, but it could also be your extrusion width, filament diameter, Z height just a hair too close, or a VREF issue...I've seen all of the above.

In your second picture I can see pulsing as the extruded lays down the first lines which indicates E, Z, or settings issues. If I am right, it should be a fairly quick fix. Depending on the material you are printing, you may experience different outcomes for you first layer. Have you printed a calibration cube?

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

sounds like you did the steps/mm calibration, but did you calibrate the filament itself?

measure the diameter of the filament in multiple places over several feet (couple of meters) to get an average diameter - enter that average into your software in the filament settings for "filament diameter".

then print a single wall calibration cube with the extrusion multiplier set at 1 - let it cool, then measure the wall thickness on all 4 walls and average those... the number you are shooting for will correlate with your nozzle size - a 0.4 nozzle should have a wall thickness of 0.48 - my guess is that your wall thickness is going to be larger initially - probably around 0.52-0.55...

once you have your average wall thickness, you need to calculate a new extrusion multiplier - the formula for that is:
desired measurement / actual measurement = extrusion multiplier
example: 0.48 / 0.52 = 0.923xxxxx  (you should not need more than 3 decimal places for this, 2 is usually sufficient however)

enter the new extrusion multiplier in the software and make sure you save!

print the single wall calibration cube again, let cool, and measure the walls again - you should be at your target dimension.

All of that said - I have spool of Hatchbox red ABS that likes to "over-extrude" on the first layer - even after careful calibration. I have found that if I turn the flow rate down a little for just that first layer, I get better results.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

ward is right could be one of sever settings or a combination.
+1 for checking slicer settings.
a combination of uneven extrusion and first layer issues.

Tin Falcon wrote:

ward is right could be one of sever settings or a combination.

Who is right? wink

Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on

Az is right!! Man I am off to a good start 4 guys with the prinit logo . I need to pay better attention!!.
Heartless has good point as well !!

smile I'll take credit where I can get it, sorry AZERATE.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

does not the forum rules say somewhere that WardJ is always right . Yea that is what I meant LOL.

Tin Falcon wrote:

looks like too much plastic and your nozzle is dragging and looks like the layers are lifting in spots.
clean the bed plate and check the extrusion multiplier in slic3r. may need to lower it a  bit.
Also what is your first layer speed set for.

My first layer speed it currently at 30mm/s

Can you post some of your settings? Your extrusion multiplier may be in the ballpark, but it could also be your extrusion width, filament diameter, Z height just a hair too close, or a VREF issue...I've seen all of the above.

In your second picture I can see pulsing as the extruded lays down the first lines which indicates E, Z, or settings issues. If I am right, it should be a fairly quick fix. Depending on the material you are printing, you may experience different outcomes for you first layer. Have you printed a calibration cube?

Here are some of my settings sorry if its small

http://i.imgur.com/mx8gGd5.jpg

I have but not with this new hatchbox filament, I will do that and post results

heartless wrote:

sounds like you did the steps/mm calibration, but did you calibrate the filament itself?

measure the diameter of the filament in multiple places over several feet (couple of meters) to get an average diameter - enter that average into your software in the filament settings for "filament diameter".

then print a single wall calibration cube with the extrusion multiplier set at 1 - let it cool, then measure the wall thickness on all 4 walls and average those... the number you are shooting for will correlate with your nozzle size - a 0.4 nozzle should have a wall thickness of 0.48 - my guess is that your wall thickness is going to be larger initially - probably around 0.52-0.55...

once you have your average wall thickness, you need to calculate a new extrusion multiplier - the formula for that is:
desired measurement / actual measurement = extrusion multiplier
example: 0.48 / 0.52 = 0.923xxxxx  (you should not need more than 3 decimal places for this, 2 is usually sufficient however)

enter the new extrusion multiplier in the software and make sure you save!

print the single wall calibration cube again, let cool, and measure the walls again - you should be at your target dimension.

All of that said - I have spool of Hatchbox red ABS that likes to "over-extrude" on the first layer - even after careful calibration. I have found that if I turn the flow rate down a little for just that first layer, I get better results.

Yes i have measured my new spool of filament and got 1.7 instead of 1.78 and already entered that into the program. But I will run the cube test and try what you said and post back. Ill also try turn down the first layer flow rate a bit and see

leave the flow rate alone while doing the calibrations.. only use that if absolutely necessary.

Every spool will need to be calibrated as every spool will be different. Even 2 spools of the same material, brand & color will be different from each other.
Once you get used to doing the calibration routine, it can be accomplished in under 10-15 minutes.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

heartless wrote:

leave the flow rate alone while doing the calibrations.. only use that if absolutely necessary.

Every spool will need to be calibrated as every spool will be different. Even 2 spools of the same material, brand & color will be different from each other.
Once you get used to doing the calibration routine, it can be accomplished in under 10-15 minutes.

So I ran the box print and sure enough came up at .54. So I changed my multiplier to .884 and getting .48
I calibrated my extrusion and its set and I also releveled my bed. But my first two layers (only set it to 2) arent flat.
I noticed that only the object layers are messy, my brim layers are nice and flat, but as soon as it starts printing the object, it gets messy.

I tried printing in different parts or my bed incase for some reason only the direct center of my bed somehow bows outwards and makes the nozzle too close to the bed, but thats not it.

Should I change my first layer settings?

Try setting your first layer extrusion within advanced settings to about 150% mine is set to 140% default is 200%. yours is set for 100% or same as your top line.

I tried 200 % yesterday and air space between the lines .  and 50% would not even print.
I am with you on this one my first layers are a little funky and I would like to get them tuned better  as well, mine not as extreme as yours.

Tin Falcon wrote:

Try setting your first layer extrusion within advanced settings to about 150% mine is set to 140% default is 200%. yours is set for 100% or same as your top line.

I tried 200 % yesterday and air space between the lines .  and 50% would not even print.
I am with you on this one my first layers are a little funky and I would like to get them tuned better  as well, mine not as extreme as yours.

Ok so I tried to change my first layer width to 150% but no noticeable difference, then tried 200% and looks the same. I made sure to save and reslice of course haha

My brim looks better with 200% but still the object isnt right

http://i.imgur.com/fsR5KaH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qAIQjGQ.jpg

Humor me and increase the distance from your nozzle and bed. For a .4 nozzle (which should be .48 in settings) it certainly looks like it is too hard to keep up. Your Z endstop needs to be triggered just right and different materials may require a different distance. If it is just a hair too close, the first layer may appear to be over extruding.

You can also try decreasing your temp from 240 to something like 233c. The latter is just throwing darts at the moment.

Just noticed the Layer height seems to be set for 0.1063mm  seems to be a crazy number and too tight.
Try setting that for something like 0.2 or 0.3 mm
And what are you using to set nozzle height  leveling /tramming bed . I  have been using a 0.004 in 0.1016mm stell feeler gage, which is pretty close. About the thickness of a piece of paper.
it looks like the nozzle in plowing right through the plastic or it is oozing up around the nozzle.
I agree with Azerate lift that nozzle.

Tin Falcon wrote:

I agree with Azerate lift that nozzle.

Do you mean me or wardjr?? tongue

AZERATE wrote:

Humor me and increase the distance from your nozzle and bed. For a .4 nozzle (which should be .48 in settings) it certainly looks like it is too hard to keep up. Your Z endstop needs to be triggered just right and different materials may require a different distance. If it is just a hair too close, the first layer may appear to be over extruding.

You can also try decreasing your temp from 240 to something like 233c. The latter is just throwing darts at the moment.

You nailed it. Which is my mistake, I was positive I already set my Z stop for this new spool of filament. I guess my coffee that day wasnt strong enough.
But ran a few times adjusting my Z stop and got better and better

http://i.imgur.com/3FtUtoY.jpg?1

Thank you everyone for all the help. It was certainly a mix of solutions that fixed this.

takadakeyo wrote:

Thank you everyone for all the help. It was certainly a mix of solutions that fixed this.

We are all here to help. Even more important, you bought from Printit Industries, so you a customer for life.....to a reasonable extent wink

still some ripples on the right that is about how y firt layers look I would like to get mine tunned a little better as well. Takes time and patience.