Topic: Slow JR feeder stepper motor

I lost my temper with my JR and yanked the filament through my mk8 feeder. Thus forcing the stepper motor to run backwards. (I had replaced the stock feeder with Mk8 2 weeks ago but kept the stock stepper motor and it ran fine.) The printer was on but the stepper motor was not in use at the time. Now when I go to load filament the stepper motor starts as normal. Back then forwards briefly then proceeds to feed the filament along the Bowden tube towards the hot end very slowly. Much slower than it would normally. Have I damaged the stepper motor by forcing it backwards. My guess would be yes but would welcome some input from you guys.

2 (edited by carl_m1968 2016-09-25 16:29:52)

Re: Slow JR feeder stepper motor

gravy wrote:

I lost my temper with my JR and yanked the filament through my mk8 feeder. Thus forcing the stepper motor to run backwards. (I had replaced the stock feeder with Mk8 2 weeks ago but kept the stock stepper motor and it ran fine.) The printer was on but the stepper motor was not in use at the time. Now when I go to load filament the stepper motor starts as normal. Back then forwards briefly then proceeds to feed the filament along the Bowden tube towards the hot end very slowly. Much slower than it would normally. Have I damaged the stepper motor by forcing it backwards. My guess would be yes but would welcome some input from you guys.

It's more likely you damaged then motor than it is you damaged the stepper driver on the mainboard. It will not hurt a stepper to be turned either way. But when they are turned by hand or by manual movement they act like generators and create a back feed of current into the driver.

Some drivers have protection from this and some don't. Da Vinci drivers don't so the back EMF as it is called can damage some or all of the driver. Sounds like the driver is bad and is not fully driving the motor now. The main problem with this is that the drivers on a Jr. to my knowledge are soldered to the board and not in sockets so unless you have some highend PCB repair equipment and certified soldering skills the only to repair it is to replace the board. Or swap to a different board like the RAMPS conversion that several have done. 

Regardless you have blown your warranty as well. So you might as well just do the conversion. It will cost less than a new board.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Cheers for that. I've had Anthems Ramps conversion on my mind for a while now. Looks like that's the only way forward. Normally I would have walked away and chilled. Its what I would usually do. My bad. :-(

Sorry for the tough break . I have to concur with  Carl on this one .
good luck as you move forward.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura