Topic: Wolfbite users, a few questions for you about glass damage

So I've been using airwolf3d's wolfbite (abs) for quite some time now and I've had nothing but success from it until recently. It seems they changed the formula from a water base to a vinegar base, and since I've started using this new formula, it is chewing up my glass. I would typically see the glass flake on prints after about 50-60 prints, but this new stuff is taking chunks out of brand new glass from the same manufacturer as the old glass. Anyone else noticed this?

Re: Wolfbite users, a few questions for you about glass damage

What glass are you using is it plain window glass or borosilicate.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Borosilicate.

4 (edited by SophiaL 2021-08-26 04:51:20)

Taking chunks out of glass??? wow thats nasty stuff. I havent used airwolf3d wolfbite, apart from once at my makers space to do a review, and I think it worked really well.

contact airwolf and tell them what you've noticed, and include photos. they will want to know and might have to reformulate
Phone Ringtones

I am glad I found this forum.  I also have the flaking glass problem with the borosilicate glass when using the WolfBite from AirWolf3D.  I just assumed it was caused by the high temperature fluctuations that the glass goes through during heating and cooling.  I have asked through email and on the AirWolf FB page about buying the ceramic (black) glass they used to include with the Axiom, but my requests have seemingly fallen upon deaf ears. I honestly think that their ceramic glass may have just lasted too long.  Just my opinion, but they have a great warranty and support team but the upper management seems to make poor decisions sometimes.

Post's attachments

Ceramic-Glass-Plate2-1024x608.jpg
Ceramic-Glass-Plate2-1024x608.jpg 73.32 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

The same thing happens to our school axiom all the time. Overall I have been very unimpressed by the price to performance ratio of the airwolf. The print quality is far below that of an Ulitmaker 2, but the price is about $1500 more. The part the really gets me is that they are using printed parts for the frame on a $4000 printer, and that it doesnt even have 32 bit electronics which makes menu naivagtion on the viki soooo slow. Not a fan at all.

Ulitmaker 2, a few repraps, Custom Big FFF 3D printer with heated chamber.

My Blog http://ggalisky.weebly.com/
My Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXShYo … aDUpebDAOw

I agree, the Viki is ridiculous for a $5,200. printer (Axiom Dual, Direct Drive).  What I really get annoyed about is their locked firmware.  I can't even make minor adjust like E-step settings or PID tuning.  Marlin is supposed to be open-source, yet they lock it up tight like it's some sort of big, special secret.  LOL

We have a group on FaceBook, not affiliated with the company:   https://www.facebook.com/groups/AirwolfOwners/

I was having a serious issue the last couple of months. I didn't know that they changed their formula but I went from using the same piece of glass for probably close to 100 prints to my glass chipping two prints in. I think I was using too much wolf bite, and it was causing the part to shear the glass as it cooled, just from cooling forces pulling on the part.

i fixed this by putting PET tape on top of the glass. Sort of a work around, and I lost some build space because of it, but I've been on the same piece of glass around 20-30 prints later. The nice thing about the tape is I can run it with or without wolfbite, depending on how perfect I want the bottom layer to be.

If you use both together, apply Wolfbite SPARINGLY. It sticks really really well and I've torn the tape quite a few times removing parts.

Aquanet hairspray is the ultimate adhesion tool. Like glue when hot, once cool the part removes it's self literally you will hear it pop loose.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

@Mikelangelo, they just sent me 2 replacement glass plates and a bottle of WolfBite under warranty.  It seems they may had a "bad batch" of the chemicals.