Re: Airwolf AXIOM - A.. not so great printer

Kronikabuse wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:
CrashedIt wrote:

Just out of curiosity, What are the reasons you would never use a Smoothie? I have had great success with the X5 Mini and the speed and print quality are insane. It is easy to tune and does everything I could ask it to.

Same here, he is cheap and the X5 is too rich for his blood. Any controller that cost more than $50 he runs from.

its not a knockoff so its a no go

.....  smile

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:
yizhou.he wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

Azteeg is a Smoothie board based on Smoothieware. Settings for it are easier but different as all settings reside in a config.txt file that on an SDcard installed in the board. Not the same SDcard that prints are done from.

Never use Smoothie board for obvious reasons, but the config.txt file suggest thing that you can control are very limited.

Why would you never use a Smoothie? It is a 32 bit processor first of all meaning it runs circles around any RAMPS or other 16 bit board. Virtually every setting is available through the config.txt file, even current control for the steppers. If they made one that supported dual extruders for a reasonable price I would put one on my CT'c instead of the X3 pro I am using now. I used the X5 on a delta build and it was the best and most robust board I had ever used. I suggest you try before knocking.

the X5 GT will support dual extruders and with 5 drivers is about $150. They also have an expansion board that will allow you to run a Quad setup as well. The X5 mini will only support a single extruder.

53 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-08-28 21:08:35)

CrashedIt wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:
yizhou.he wrote:

Never use Smoothie board for obvious reasons, but the config.txt file suggest thing that you can control are very limited.

Why would you never use a Smoothie? It is a 32 bit processor first of all meaning it runs circles around any RAMPS or other 16 bit board. Virtually every setting is available through the config.txt file, even current control for the steppers. If they made one that supported dual extruders for a reasonable price I would put one on my CT'c instead of the X3 pro I am using now. I used the X5 on a delta build and it was the best and most robust board I had ever used. I suggest you try before knocking.

the X5 GT will support dual extruders and with 5 drivers is about $150. They also have an expansion board that will allow you to run a Quad setup as well. The X5 mini will only support a single extruder.

The X5 mini is the one I had that I sold with the Delta. Still might swap it out one day. The 32 bit seems to make curves better but it might be my imagination.

carl_m1968 wrote:

Sorry for bad English, I meant to say I have never used a Smoothie board, I'm big fan of MonoPrice printer and I have lots of Da Vinci printer, they don't use smoothie board, two of my delta printer don't use smoothie board. The only printer that came with Smoothie board is SD Press and it came with dead main board.

Unlike you guys, my hobbies is not 3d printing, but machine repairing. So I'm not big fan of buying the best of the best of the best, all I need is good enough. I have 20+ 3D printer right now and the number is still growing, If I put Authentic E3D hotend and fancy main board on all of them, that will be $6000+ and lots of labor.

32 bit processor indeed sound attractive, but I don't see any lagging with current ATMEGA2560, unless I figured out how to make automatic bed leveling work consistently, the extra computing power is all wasted.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

I just pulled the trigger on the X5 GT. I will let you know how it turns out.

CrashedIt wrote:

I just pulled the trigger on the X5 GT. I will let you know how it turns out.

I am looking at getting one myself. I will need to add the dual thermocouple board as my printer uses them instead of thermistors.

Hey Everyone,

I just made an account in hopes of helping some of you out.

I too share your frustration towards airwolf printers. We dont need to get into that since most of those issues were posted and shared across this thread.

I currently am awaiting an email from our sales rep, he has promised to send source code over for the printers firmware so that I can configure Marlin 1.1.9 (latest stable release) for the Axiom Dual Direct Drive.

Stay Tuned, I will post as soon as I am able to install the new firmware and verify it is working. Please feel free to reach out to any other issues you may be having.

I will start by sharing this link, as I have seen several people complaining about their overpriced nozzles and how quickly they can wear. Below is a link to purchase Hardened Steel Nozzles for their printers, I print carbon nylon so I found it necessary to purchase, and at the same price as their aluminum nozzles (just about, airwolf standard nozzles come in at 25 bucks while the heavy duties come in at 35) it clearly is an ideal replacement. Airwolf's "standard" nozzles are made from the most common aluminum out there, but their "heavy duty" nozzles are made from a higher grade of aluminum... I found this frustrating since aluminum is still susceptible to wear. Check out these hardened steel nozzles and that will lift a small fraction of trouble these machines cause.

https://www.3dxtech.com/airwolf-axiom-h … el-nozzle/

I guess nobody wants the source code? I have the marlin source code for the Axiom Dual Direct drive machine, it would still help people with other printers in the axiom line. Let me know, not going to post it unless there is a demand

Someone may want it. But you will find most of the folks here are into the Sub $500  up to the $1000 range of printer . Not too many here going top spend nearly 4 grand on an axiom .

Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Tin Falcon wrote:

Someone may want it. But you will find most of the folks here are into the Sub $500  up to the $1000 range of printer . Not too many here going top spend nearly 4 grand on an axiom .

Tin

I get that, but this is a thread based on the axiom, many many people were wanting that source code now that I went through the trouble of getting it everybody on the thread is quiet. I don't understand.

tony.d wrote:
Tin Falcon wrote:

Tin

I get that, but this is a thread based on the axiom, many many people were wanting that source code now that I went through the trouble of getting it everybody on the thread is quiet. I don't understand.

The many many people that you refer to are not users here. That was Tim's point. That would be why they are so quite. Most here are budget shoppers and don't spend that kind of cash especially on a first time printer which as you can see many many here are.

62 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-10-16 17:36:52)

I do like the design of the axiom, looks beautiful and have taste of si-fi. The price is insane even for sale by parts in ebay. The print quality is scored at 7.8

https://www.3dhubs.com/3d-printers/airwolf-axiom

In comparism, MonoPrice maker select V2/Wanhao duplicator i3 v2 is priced 1/10 of the axiom, the print quality is scored at 8.5

https://www.3dhubs.com/3d-printers/wanh … ator-i3-v2

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Hi, Is there any chance that you could release guide step by step how to mod Axiom your way with release all the models and firmware ?

dannerd3h wrote:

Okei, I am not completely sure how much have been done since my last post but just wanted to update you guys on what is going on!

Because.. The printer is now actually fairly stable! And looks like this:
http://soliforum.com/i/?wZ45htM.jpg
http://soliforum.com/i/?nz4AALp.jpg
http://soliforum.com/i/?N6lCsmz.jpg

This is what i have done to the printer for now:
*New printer head with a significantly improved belt tension compared to the original
*New hotend - Currently using a E3D with a overkill cooling fan (helps prevent PLA and XT jamming) and silicone sock (which is genious! Full blast on cooling without affecting nozzle temp)
*Inductive proximity sensor - If i started over i would use something like Bltouch to be able to probe the glass directly
*Bondtech extruder - unstoppable beast!
*New firmware - Clean version of newest Marlin
*Removed standoffs under heatbed as they bended the bed upwards!
*Using a filament oiler for PLA - to fight Jamming

This is what the printer produces now:
http://soliforum.com/i/?QdZ2x8R.jpg
Black and white PLA parts
http://soliforum.com/i/?rotGJi8.jpg
Black XT parts

This is what could be improved further:
*Improved print speed, if i print faster than what is shown above i get random over and under extrusion - signs of jamming, which is then bruteforced to print again by the Bondtech.
*Using a Bltouch or similar to probe the glass bed directly. The bed is hard to insert equally every time. Since the inductive sensor is not triggered by the bed itself but the metal brace holding it this can mean failed prints due to the way the glass plate is mounted. The braces securing the glass has a rather big radius in the bend which can force the glass further down if not perfectly centered.
*Not sure if 1,75 or 3 mm filament is best.. Currently using 1,75 but haven’t tried flexible filaments
*Shorter Bowden tube is always a good thing!
*Slightly tweaked acceleration settings to get rid of the last ringing artifacts.

I'd like the firmware if anyone has it?

Thank you.