26 (edited by dannerd3h 2017-06-02 07:44:51)

Re: Airwolf AXIOM - A.. not so great printer

Okei, I am not completely sure how much have been done since my last post but just wanted to update you guys on what is going on!

Because.. The printer is now actually fairly stable! And looks like this:
http://soliforum.com/i/?wZ45htM.jpg
http://soliforum.com/i/?nz4AALp.jpg
http://soliforum.com/i/?N6lCsmz.jpg

This is what i have done to the printer for now:
*New printer head with a significantly improved belt tension compared to the original
*New hotend - Currently using a E3D with a overkill cooling fan (helps prevent PLA and XT jamming) and silicone sock (which is genious! Full blast on cooling without affecting nozzle temp)
*Inductive proximity sensor - If i started over i would use something like Bltouch to be able to probe the glass directly
*Bondtech extruder - unstoppable beast!
*New firmware - Clean version of newest Marlin
*Removed standoffs under heatbed as they bended the bed upwards!
*Using a filament oiler for PLA - to fight Jamming

This is what the printer produces now:
http://soliforum.com/i/?QdZ2x8R.jpg
Black and white PLA parts
http://soliforum.com/i/?rotGJi8.jpg
Black XT parts

This is what could be improved further:
*Improved print speed, if i print faster than what is shown above i get random over and under extrusion - signs of jamming, which is then bruteforced to print again by the Bondtech.
*Using a Bltouch or similar to probe the glass bed directly. The bed is hard to insert equally every time. Since the inductive sensor is not triggered by the bed itself but the metal brace holding it this can mean failed prints due to the way the glass plate is mounted. The braces securing the glass has a rather big radius in the bend which can force the glass further down if not perfectly centered.
*Not sure if 1,75 or 3 mm filament is best.. Currently using 1,75 but haven’t tried flexible filaments
*Shorter Bowden tube is always a good thing!
*Slightly tweaked acceleration settings to get rid of the last ringing artifacts.

I know black is hard to see on images...

I have an AXIOM Dual and it is by far the worst of my 4 printers.  It has been down as often as up in the year I have owned it.  Too many issues to even start.  The ERC (print head cassette) has been back to the factory 3 times, each time taking 3 weeks to 5 weeks to get it back.  The people at Airwolf are nice, and the hardware looks great, but my printer has been a disaster.  I'm afraid to sell it to someone since it is such a lemon.  But if anyone wants it I will sell it for 1/3 of what I paid for it.

Hello!
I have the axiom direct drive
It sucks
I have problems with it like every 3 months something new happens to it.
I have had two times this year the same problem with the hot end, that the screw hole doesn't hold the screw, I don't even change the nozzle that much!

I'm really desapointed.
The year I bought it was rated "the best"
I regret buying it.

I'm the senior service technician here at Airwolf 3D. I know this thread is a little old, but I wanted to jump in. I'm really sorry to hear about the problems that you guys have experienced with our machines. We stand behind our products and supporting the success of our customers is our top priority. I invite anyone experiencing issues with their machines, to please give us a call or message me at [email protected] and we'll take care of you.

I also welcome any specific questions anyone has about our machines!

bpgoss1 wrote:

I'm the senior service technician here at Airwolf 3D. I know this thread is a little old, but I wanted to jump in. I'm really sorry to hear about the problems that you guys have experienced with our machines. We stand behind our products and supporting the success of our customers is our top priority. I invite anyone experiencing issues with their machines, to please give us a call or message me at [email protected] and we'll take care of you.

Maybe its a lemon component(s) that is the problem.

Bob's your uncle (and likely your father too...)
I laughed that hard, I burst my colostomy bag.... (When I got my GeeeTech Pi3 ProB)
Prusa i3 MK2 clone by GeeeTech aka Pi3 ProB with a GT2560 board on MX17 Linux.

Ok, I have submit 2 trouble tickets regarding this issue and have been treated like I am expecting something from my machine that it is not designed to do. All I ever get is an email telling me that the I can tune the feed rate while printing but that it is not recommended. I have requested to speak to someone in person but have been told that they are to busy to pick up the phone.

I own 3 printers to date, (HDx2, axiom, and a Prusa i3 clone) and have experience with about 6 other Airwolf printers both HDx and Axiom models. This one particular Axiom takes between 2 and 3 times longer to print a part with identical setting as any other printer I run the part on. If I load my HDx and my Axiom with the same part file, same filament and same slicer setting, and get an estimated print time of 6:18 it will print on the HDx somewhere between 6:20 and 6:40. The Axiom on the other hand will take anywhere from 14:00 to 21:00 hours to complete. I have updated the firmware twice and the problem seemed to get worse not better. I am printing from an SD card and have tried several different cards to rule that out. I am at the point that I am ready to pull  the Rambo board an install and Azteeg x5 GT but would rather not put another $160 into this printer if I don't have to. Can anyone help sense Airwolf obviously has no intent on helping me with this despite the claim from bpgoss1 that they are there to help.

bpgoss1 wrote:

CrashedIt wrote:

Ok, I have submit 2 trouble tickets regarding this issue and have been treated like I am expecting something from my machine that it is not designed to do. All I ever get is an email telling me that the I can tune the feed rate while printing but that it is not recommended. I have requested to speak to someone in person but have been told that they are to busy to pick up the phone.

I own 3 printers to date, (HDx2, axiom, and a Prusa i3 clone) and have experience with about 6 other Airwolf printers both HDx and Axiom models. This one particular Axiom takes between 2 and 3 times longer to print a part with identical setting as any other printer I run the part on. If I load my HDx and my Axiom with the same part file, same filament and same slicer setting, and get an estimated print time of 6:18 it will print on the HDx somewhere between 6:20 and 6:40. The Axiom on the other hand will take anywhere from 14:00 to 21:00 hours to complete. I have updated the firmware twice and the problem seemed to get worse not better. I am printing from an SD card and have tried several different cards to rule that out. I am at the point that I am ready to pull  the Rambo board an install and Azteeg x5 GT but would rather not put another $160 into this printer if I don't have to. Can anyone help sense Airwolf obviously has no intent on helping me with this despite the claim from bpgoss1 that they are there to help.

bpgoss1 wrote:

Just playing both sides of the coin here. But instead of submitting trouble tickets did you actually try to contact the tech at his email address he provided?

If the printer prints slower than the other with the same slicer and host settings then the issue is in the firmware and it is set to slower for some reason. If you can access the firmware, then compare the config.h settings between the bad one and one of the good ones.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

CrashedIt wrote:

OK, again, I have no experience with Airwolf printers for obvious reasons. But since you are struggling, maybe you are willing to try anything that may help without lose warranty.
When you connect your printer to computer though USB in Repetitor host or something similar, in manual control, send gcode command M501 to printer and check the response log, it should list all eeprom settings. Looking for lines start with M201 and M202 and up to M206. This commands are limitation of printer speed, acceleration and Jerk (how fast acceleration increase) stored in printer memory that changes printing speed regardless how fast your slicer want it to print. It will be something like this

M201 X1000 Y1000 Z100 E2000

You can find explaination of these commands here:
https://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#M201:_Se … celeration

Do M501 command on both printer that print fast and slow and compare the difference in these numbers. If they are different, that will explain the different in speed and can be changed without affect your warranty I think.

Again, I have no experience with Airwolf printer, these command may or may not work on Airwolf printer. If you run out things to try, it doesn't hurt to try, and let me know if you have further question. If you have better idea to try, ignore my post.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

if your Axiom runs on Marlin firmware, you can also change the setting in control-motion-volocity/acceleration/jerk/feed rate etc, you need to save the setting so that change will not lost after reboot.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Thank you all for the replies. I have been communicating with [email protected]. I am not sure which tech exactly is replying as I am sure they have more then one. I have also tried calling and was told to submit a ticket as they were to busy to talk on the phone. I will try the M501 and see what is returned. I suspect that the firmware is the issue and the tech support at Matterhackers told me that he suspected the same thing but he did not get into how to resolve it and I didn't expect him to as it is a competitor machine. I think the biggest issue is going to be how to update the firmware after I find the problem.

thanks

So I ran the M501 and it returned the following. Nothing seems to be a limiting factor as far as I can see. If anyone sees something I'm missing please let me know.

thanks

M501
< echo:Hardcoded Default Settings Loaded
< echo:Steps per unit:
< echo:  M92 X100.00 Y100.00 Z400.00 E332.00
< echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
< echo:  M203 X400.00 Y400.00 Z20.00 E60.00
< echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
< echo:  M201 X3500 Y3500 Z400 E10000
< echo:Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration
< echo:  M204 S3500.00 T3500.00
< echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s),  Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s),  E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
< echo:  M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X20.00 Z1.60 E5.00
< echo:Home offset (mm):
< echo:  M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00
< echo:PID settings:
< echo:   M301 P30.00 I1.50 D125.00

38 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-08-27 03:25:38)

this is not the setting stored in your printer eeprom, this is hardcoded setting in your firmware, as suggested by the first line of the response. This happens because setting stored in eeprom is in old/wrong format and current firmware can not understand data in eeprom and therefore loaded the failsafe setting, however, this setting is not currently used by your printer.

The cause of this problem usually start with upgrade firmware to newer version without load failsafe setting and save. the easy solution is go to lcd menu, select initialize eeprom or load failsafe setting in control-motion menu, and make sure you save setting in the end, power off printer and restart, you may need to do this twice.

again, i have no experience with axiom printer, the menu on lcd menu may spelled differently or in different localtion. as long as you get the idea, you should be able to find the right place. these should not void your warrenty, but after load the default setting, the printing speed may be too fast and may generate more noise as i see on the default settings you posted, you might want to lower the acceleration and jerk etc. to more confertable but faster than current settings.

39 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-08-27 11:55:05)

Yizhou. Keep in mind his controller could have the EEPROM disabled. There is a setting in firmware to do this. His controller is a Rambo so it should have an EEPROM. It still could be disabled. He should run the same command on a good machine and see if he gets the same results.

//#define EEPROM_CHITCHAT

This line as it is disables the EEPROM from being used. Some disable it to save on program space in the boards limited memory.

#define EEPROM_CHITCHAT

This line will enable it of course, but will consume more memory on the board.

Agree, that's exactly what I was asked.

I have never run M501 on printer with eeprom disabled, I expected different response saying eeprom is disabled etc. but that may be lines before "< echo:Hardcoded Default Settings Loaded" which he did not include.

Thank you both for the replies. What I pasted into my last post was all that was returned by the M501. When I get home tonight I will try resetting the fail safes and run the M501 again. Unfortunately I do not have an editable firmware file to look at and change. Short of getting base Rambo firmware and starting from scratch I am stuck with what Airwolf releases. I current use Cura to slice and they now have the ability to define your acceleration and jerk. I have tried setting them in Cura, which put the M201 lines in the code and it didn't seem to matter. Hopefully resetting the fail safes works.

So I performed a failsafe reset several times and got no response on the Viki at all. I did it again with the computer connected and got the response < echo:Hardcoded Default Settings Loaded. every time. When I ran the M501 again I got the exact same Responses I got before. I then ran the M501 on my HDx2 machine that works great and got back numbers that would indicate to me a much slower machine. Both are posted below.  It seems to me if I am understanding your comments correctly that my EEPROM is most likely disabled and that there are some limits set that I cannot easily change due to Airwolf locking it. Unless someone can offer some additional work arounds I guess I will be ordering my Azteeg X5 GT soon.

thanks

Axiom after failsafe reset (No Changes from before)
> M501
< echo:  M92 X100.00 Y100.00 Z400.00 E332.00
< echo:  M203 X400.00 Y400.00 Z20.00 E60.00
< echo:  M201 X3500 Y3500 Z400 E10000
< echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s),  Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s),  E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
< echo:  M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X20.00 Z1.60 E5.00
< echo:   M301 P30.00 I1.50 D125.00

Hdx2 NO ISSUES with this Machine
> M501
< echo:  M92 X80.00 Y80.00 Z1600.00 E332.00
< echo:  M203 X250.00 Y250.00 Z5.00 E50.00
< echo:  M201 X3500 Y3500 Z100 E10000
< echo:  M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X20.00 Z0.40 E5.00

43 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-08-28 13:55:49)

Two things to try, 1. check how fast the axiom heat up. If it takes longer to heat up the printer bed and nozzle, that can be another reason it takes long to print. I noticed your axiom have pid setting in default eeprom but not with hdx2. Since you have stock firmware to flash it back, try download Marlin 1.1.9 and make changes according to your machines with eeprom enabled and see if that will fix the problem. You can always revert to stock firmware if things don't work out. And you will most likely have to learn how to do this if you order Azteeg X5 GT anyway.

yizhou.he wrote:

Two things to try, 1. check how fast the axiom heat up. If it takes longer to heat up the printer bed and nozzle, that can be another reason it takes long to print. I noticed your axiom have pid setting in default eeprom but not with hdx2. Since you have stock firmware to flash it back, try download Marlin 1.1.9 and make changes according to your machines with eeprom enabled and see if that will fix the problem. You can always revert to stock firmware if things don't work out. And you will most likely have to learn how to do this if you order Azteeg X5 GT anyway.

Azteeg is a Smoothie board based on Smoothieware. Settings for it are easier but different as all settings reside in a config.txt file that on an SDcard installed in the board. Not the same SDcard that prints are done from.

carl_m1968 wrote:

Azteeg is a Smoothie board based on Smoothieware. Settings for it are easier but different as all settings reside in a config.txt file that on an SDcard installed in the board. Not the same SDcard that prints are done from.

Never use Smoothie board for obvious reasons, but the config.txt file suggest thing that you can control are very limited.

I am familiar with the Smoothieboard as that is what I am running in my Prusa Frankin printer. The issue I have at this point with the Marlin firmware is I do not have a file for the current firmware to look at or modify as Airwolf will not release it. You can only get it through there Apex slicer software as a direct install to the machine. I am not proficient with marlin firmware which is why I am looking at Smoothie that I know well enough to start from scratch. The Axiom heats up quick. Less then 10 minutes and I typically preheat anyhow so that is not really a factor in the print time.

Thank you Carl_m1968 and Yizhou.he for all of your knowledge and assistance on this.

yizhou.he wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

Never use Smoothie board for obvious reasons, but the config.txt file suggest thing that you can control are very limited.

Just out of curiosity, What are the reasons you would never use a Smoothie? I have had great success with the X5 Mini and the speed and print quality are insane. It is easy to tune and does everything I could ask it to.

yizhou.he wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

Why would you never use a Smoothie? It is a 32 bit processor first of all meaning it runs circles around any RAMPS or other 16 bit board. Virtually every setting is available through the config.txt file, even current control for the steppers. If they made one that supported dual extruders for a reasonable price I would put one on my CT'c instead of the X3 pro I am using now. I used the X5 on a delta build and it was the best and most robust board I had ever used. I suggest you try before knocking.

CrashedIt wrote:
yizhou.he wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

Just out of curiosity, What are the reasons you would never use a Smoothie? I have had great success with the X5 Mini and the speed and print quality are insane. It is easy to tune and does everything I could ask it to.

Same here, he is cheap and the X5 is too rich for his blood. Any controller that cost more than $50 he runs from.

carl_m1968 wrote:
CrashedIt wrote:
yizhou.he wrote:

Same here, he is cheap and the X5 is too rich for his blood. Any controller that cost more than $50 he runs from.

its not a knockoff so its a no go

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm