Topic: Solidoodle 4 - Problem feeding filament

Hello Everyone,

I have a stock Solidoodle 4 that appears to be having issues feeding filament. I took the pressure arm off of the extruder and cleaned all of the filament particles that were accumulated and placed the arm back in position and tried printing the gear whose picture I have attached. It was printed at 90% infill. I am also attaching a picture of the extruder after making the test print. When the test started, there was no sign of filament shavings. Obviously the extruder feed mechanism is chewing up the filament without pushing it through. The temperature was 220 and I was feeding ABS.

Can anyone tell me what I would need to do to fix this? Should I move to a new extruder altogether, and if so, what is a good one that will readily install on the Solidoodle 4?

Thank You!
http://soliforum.com/i/?tmcfOCE.jpg
http://soliforum.com/i/?CYgvmwq.jpg

Re: Solidoodle 4 - Problem feeding filament

Probably dealing with a partial clog.  Time to upgrade to an E3d V6 or Lite 6.
You can try cleaning it out with a guitar string.  Experience tells me that even if you get it working properly, it won't last.
Everything you'd need for the upgrade can be found here.  Let me know if you've got any questions.
http://www.printitindustries.com/produc … -assembled

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Thanks for the help Ward.

Is there any kind of installation guide for installing that on the Solidoodle 4? I would like to see what I am getting myself into before committing lol

You may want to reach out to user heartless.  She does great write ups of everything and has a couple SD4's with this mod done to them.  In my opinion, there is no one more qualified to guide you through every step.
But basically it's a flash of the firmware and some minor changes to the X carriage assembly to properly hold the new E3d along with some simple wiring.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

IMHO if you are going to the trouble and expense of Upgrading the hot end to an ED3
the easiest way to mount it is buy a titan.
Also understand the difference between the Lite and the full ED3 the lite is only good for ABS pla and other relatively low temp  materials the full ED3 while more money will do higher temps and a full range of materials.

A titan should pretty much bolt right onto the front of your motor you just need to remove the old extruder and gear and install the new. you may have to make or print a shim plate.  I installed a titan and ED3 on my prusa and I have a SD4 .

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

I've printed the following on a Lite6:
ABS
PLA (even exotics like high temp and stainless steel)
Bridge Nylon
TPU
TGlase

If you never plan on doing something like PC or PEEK, the Lite6 is a great and affordable choice. I also you the Titan which is my personal favorite at the moment. If you chose this route and cannot reliably print a mount, we offer the following:
Fully assembled E3D Lite6 http://www.printitindustries.com/collec … -assembled
E3D Titan http://www.printitindustries.com/collec … n-extruder
Titan mount for Solidoodle http://www.printitindustries.com/collec … solidoodle

We also offer free US shipping on orders over $75 FYI

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Yeah - time for an upgrade. Holy cow that is a lot of ground up filament!

there are basically 2 ways to go about a mount for an E3D upgrade...

1st way is get a 3d printed mount for it - obviously you would have a hard time printing one yourself at this point....

2nd way would involve having, or knowing someone with, milling/lathe experience.

For now, lets just assume a 3d printed mount...What you will end up with is something like this...

http://soliforum.com/i/?ONN97Sp.jpg

If you need the mounting parts printed, I can help with that - shoot me a PM and we can talk about it.

as for the E3D itself, you can buy the kit from Filastruder, and assemble it yourself, or you can buy a pre-assembled one, ready to install, from PrintIt Industries.

Which one to get?
the full E3D v6 is capable of higher temperatures, so if you want to venture into the world of exotic filaments like nylon or something, this would be the one to get...
the E3D Lite6 is just fine for PLA & ABS if you are less adventurous, or on a tight budget...
I have both versions and both are great so whichever way you go is good...

making the firmware changes and flashing the board will be determined by the controller board you have - being as how we are talking about an SD4, I am going to guess it is the Printrboard.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

I did some research IIRC  the  https://printrbot.com/shop/printrbot-alu-extruder-v2/  will work the plaus of this one it is solid aluminum  .
the negative side is it is a little more expensive than the titan  the pbs extruder is direct drive no gearing. The extuder itself is the same price but you need drive gear IIRC + $9.00
the titan is plastic  but it is a ED3 product so well engineered and it is geared so 3x the torqu and a little better control of plastic flow.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

Thanks for all of the input. I am thinking my issue may be the extruder tension rather than the hot end. I cleaned the hot end as well as I could and ran filament back in. When I noticed the filament not feeding I pushed up on the pressure lever to tighten the grip on the filament and it ran fine like that. I suppose I can drill a hole in the end of the lever where the spring is and use a bolt and a couple of nut to put a constant tension on the filament. I may do that to print out the gears that I need for a project this weekend and then replace both the extruder and the hot end.

Heartless, thank you for the write up!  Are you using a different extruder than the stock one? The spring in mine no longer appears to be applying enough pressure to have the filament feed.

Tin Falcon, does the Titan offer a considerable improvement over the various printable extruders? I read on the page that the gearing helped the resolution and helps remove :waviness." Has that been the case in your experience? That aluminum extruder definitely looks nice.

There are various reviews and comments about the Titan on this forum. I will say i do not know of anyone who has been disapointed who has installed one.
I personally like the idea  of an aluminum extruder  as they will never get heat damage either from motor or hot end . That said the ed3 stays cool to the touch on the finns.

The PBS extruder is actualy for a different hot end and the file is on thingiverse if you want to print a plastic version. To the best of my knowledge  it will work with the ed3 . I have not tried any of the printed extruders .
The stock extruder on the prusa was injection molded abs and metal to hold the hot end similar to the SD4 and of course the SD 4 like you have. I have not printed my own extruder.
One of the huge appeals of Open source printers is the ability to make your own replacement and upgrade parts with you 3d printer.

DarrellS wrote:

Heartless, thank you for the write up!  Are you using a different extruder than the stock one? The spring in mine no longer appears to be applying enough pressure to have the filament feed.

No, mine are stock extruders, but appear to be a later revision than yours as they are aluminum, not plastic.

being a plastic piece it is possible yours is beginning to "stretch" out of shape a little - it will happen over time. you could try slipping a washer between the spring and either the mount or lever end (if the spring is inset) to get a little more tension.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

It looks like one thing that will be an issue after changing to the e3d hot end is the z-homing. I see that there is a part on Thingiverse that will allow the M3 screw to be taken out of the knob it is currently in and position lower. The issue is printing that part.

Does anyone know if there is a gcode command I can replace "G28 Z0" instruction for homing the Z axis that will allow me to perform a manual z axis homing?

A longer bolt or any kind of extension on the existing bolt will work as a temporary solution.  If not, let us know and someone will print and send you what you need.  Hopefully heartless will jump in with her preferred solution.

believe it or not - my preferred solution is super simple - an old computer motherboard standoff threaded onto the end of the existing screw.

http://soliforum.com/i/?2eqBxqs.jpg

longer screw is also an option...

Does anyone know of a way to get the hobbed pulley off of the extruder motor? I can't get the set screw to budge. All that is happening is hex keys getting stripped.

16 (edited by heartless 2016-08-13 21:09:50)

yeah - they used some sort of lock-tight on that and it is a bugger to get off
Pull everything off of the motor that you can and get it out of the way, then try heating the pulley a bit

and once you get the set screw loose, you will still have a fight on your hands getting it off the shaft. It will come off, but not easily

mine was so stuck i ended up having to drill it out

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

Kronikabuse wrote:

mine was so stuck i ended up having to drill it out

that is stuck. hmm

mine were stuck pretty good, but not that badly

Kronikabuse,

My set screw is pretty well stripped out now. I guess I will have to drill it out. How did you go about it?

Has anyone replaced the extruder motor before? I am contemplating just doing that. I am also contemplating just buying a new printer lol.

I held it in a vise and took a drill the size of the set screw to the set screw. Then you can then re-tap it a bigger size to salvage it if you want.

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

Has anyone replaced the extruder motor before?

Mechanically, it looks like it is just held on with a cable tie. What I am more concerned with is the wiring. Most of the NEMA17 motors I am seeing don't look like their wires will extend all the way to the control box.

Just splice them if needed but might as well do some upgrades at the same time.  A .9 motor would be a simple upgrade at this point.  The ones we sell have leads long enough to reach.
http://www.printitindustries.com/collec … hm15-0904s

Darrells- you would not want to use the .9 along with the E3D Titan...it sounds like fantastic resolution, but the math doesn't check out. You would want to actually look at this motor http://www.printitindustries.com/collec … hs13-0404s

The zip tie on the E motor isn't mandatory. Several users, myself included haven't had a zip tie on the motor for years. Swapping out motors is an easy mechanical change, but you will still need to recalibrate in EEPROM.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

^Yep, my bad. I forgot you were using a Titan.

the zip tie is mainly for wire strain relief - it doesnt actually hold anything to the carriage.