Topic: increase z axis?

i really want to get a solidoodle,have heard nothing but great reviews.
however,one of the reasons i want one is to print aluminum extrustion replacements,u-chanels,etc.
i cant seem to find many pictures of the mechanics and mounts on the solidoodle.increasing the axis shouldnt be a problem,but can someone post some pictures or maybe email me sme so i can get an idea of what i would need to do?
or maybe someone who has already done it?
THANKS!

Re: increase z axis?

Also,has anyone tried to add a conveyor belt?

In terms of your first question, the Solidoodle has a solid frame. Other printers can simply have the metal rods extended and the firmware updated to match, but doing this would involve either ditching, or cutting and welding the Solidoodle frame.

As for the conveyor belt, once again the solid frame would limit space available.

The Makerbot conveyor belt beds I have seen do look very handy.

The rods are mounted in the steel frame, rather than vertices of some kind.  The only way to expand an axis is to expand the frame.  Also the bed moves in Z rather than the extruder, so Z can't go any higher than the extruder.  If you want something expandable, you could look at the printrbot, but the higher you go the more trouble you will have with wobble.

TheFutureIs3D.com sells printers that go to 12" and 16", but they are $2000+

at least its pretty solid.have you had any problems with the printer rocking or backlashing,or does the fact its got that mass to it really prevent it?
thanks