1 (edited by BrianCo 2016-07-18 04:01:41)

Topic: Calibrated but Still Under Extrusion SD3

I have a Solidoodle 3 with stock hotend and extruder (acrylic jigsaw).  I calibrated the EEPROM E-Steps for the extruder motor, and have leveled the bed, set the z-height to have a gap to allow a paper to slide under when cooled, and did PID tuning. I am using Slic3r 1.2.9.

I am having a problem of under extrusion where even the second solid layer does not fill out to connect the plastic to be solid instead there are gaps. To fix it, I have tried setting the flow rate by this method (https://solidoodletips.wordpress.com/20 … flow-rate/). It tells me the extrusion multiplier should be 0.7 (even though the E-steps are correct). Doing .7 causes the under extrusion problem with gaps while the walls/perimeters look right, but at 1 the walls/perimeters are uneven and ugly. I have tried all sorts of in betweens but can't get the solid infill layers to be solid with no gaps without having the very uneven perimeters/walls.

Any suggestions as to what the problem could be? and why does the thin wall test say the extrusion multiplier should be .7 even though everywhere else online says if the extruder EEPROM steps are right, the extrusion multiplier should be 1?

Thanks,
Brian

Re: Calibrated but Still Under Extrusion SD3

first of all recheck your calibration.
then open the advanced window.
check your extrusion width setting make sure nothing is crazy
I have default extrusion set for 0.48   first layer %110  top lsolid infill %110 everthing else is zero.
If the perimeters and the infill are not touching make sure belts are not loose but also set your Overlap to something like   %15 if it is already 15 try increasing by %5.
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

E-steps are only a part of the equation and are only important for the amount of filament going IN to the hotend.

For what is coming OUT of the hotend it is a whole different set if calibrations - beginning with filament diameter. You need to actually measure the filament in multiple places along a couple of yards and average the readings to get a proper filament size - it is very rare for 1.75mm filament to be exactly 1.75mm in diameter. Most will end up around 1.72-1.73.

Extrusion width (advanced section of Slic3r) should be 120% of your nozzle diameter - a 0.4mm nozzle should be set to 0.48, a 0.35 nozzle should be set to 0.42 and so on...

I have a complete, 2 part write up on the calibration steps I use on my blog (i go into a little more detail than the old solidoodle blog does). If you are interested...

Part 1: http://northwoods3d.weebly.com/blog/fi … ion-part-1
Part 2: http://northwoods3d.weebly.com/blog/-fl … coming-out

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

IIRC rule of thumb extrusion multiplier should be somewhere between  .9 and 1.1, 1 is the ideal and set to 1 before you  calibrate.
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

heartless wrote:

Extrusion width (advanced section of Slic3r) should be 120% of your nozzle diameter - a 0.4mm nozzle should be set to 0.48, a 0.35 nozzle should be set to 0.42 and so on...

I am following your writeup (although I believe I've already done those steps) just to make sure everything is right. I am currently printing a new test cube for flow rate because I had my extrusion width for most prints set to auto. I have a 0.4mm nozzle, do I need to set it to 0.48 for every Slic3r profile? Does slic3r's auto setting not do 120% automatically?

no, it does not do it automatically.

the first line - Default Extrusion Width - in the advanced tab is the primary setting - that is the one should be set to 120% of nozzle size - the others you can leave at zero as they are based off the first one.

the other settings in there are useful for tweaking extrusion widths for better looking prints - things like letters especially - but for calibration purposes, either set them to 0, or set them to match the default value.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

Thanks @heartless. That was the solution I was looking for! Working like a charm now. Followed your guide and set up the flow rate with the new extrusion width set. Wish needing to change the extrusion width was in the setup wiki.

heartless wrote:

E-steps are only a part of the equation and are only important for the amount of filament going IN to the hotend.

For what is coming OUT of the hotend it is a whole different set if calibrations - beginning with filament diameter. You need to actually measure the filament in multiple places along a couple of yards and average the readings to get a proper filament size - it is very rare for 1.75mm filament to be exactly 1.75mm in diameter. Most will end up around 1.72-1.73.

I have a complete, 2 part write up on the calibration steps I use on my blog (i go into a little more detail than the old solidoodle blog does). If you are interested...

Part 1: http://northwoods3d.weebly.com/blog/fi … ion-part-1
Part 2: http://northwoods3d.weebly.com/blog/-fl … coming-out

It looks like it’s been a couple of years, but I would like to thank everyone in this post especially @heartless. You all were quite helpful to read and a great example of the best of what I’ll refer to as the larger ‘Maker’ community.

Extrusion width (advanced section of Slic3r) should be 120% of your nozzle diameter - a 0.4mm nozzle should be set to 0.48, a 0.35 nozzle

filament diameter is very important I often get 1,67 -1.70

Tin Falcon wrote:

filament diameter is very important I often get 1,67 -1.70

indeed - many spools after the initial response was written, I have gotten anywhere from 1.65 all the way up to 1.76 as an average.