Topic: titan add to my solidoodle 3

I've got the new titan with new stepper motor all installed.

I know that the steps are off now due to the geared system.  I'm unsure of where to change that setting.  I looked and did not find it on this site

But when I heated up the tip I just wanted to see it extrude some PLA to verify operation.  The motor just clicks going forward and backward a step.   weird.  so I took the titan apart and left the gear only to see if there was some inding or something.  yet still the motor clicks back and forth.

What is that?

BTW Ward Jr.  I wanted to let you know that I live in Louisville and we have a place called First Build firstbuild.com.  A kind of maker space jointly owned by the University of the Louisville and Haier (formally GE appliances).  They have 8 makerbots and that is where I fell in love with 3d printing. 
So the reason for all this is I wanted to let you know they just purchased a Voxel8 and a 3DP X1000; http://3dplatform.com/

Soon to be available for use by the general public (me)  build volume of 1000mm (x) by 1000mm (y) by 500mm (z).  It so looks like something that can be built by anyone that is good with solidoodles and ~$10,000 sitting around.

SD3 added E3DV6 and the Titan
still a rookie newbie, but learning.
Dreaming on building a large format from scratch

Re: titan add to my solidoodle 3

It sounds like it could be a combination of VREF and the steps set in your EEPROM Config in repetier(Alt+E) or goto Config-> Firmware EEPRom Config and change it there.   I'm not entirely sure what your steps should be though. I know when I got the E3D I had to turn the VREF on the extruder stepper extremely low to avoid moire.

I've got the new titan with new stepper motor all installed.
I know that the steps are off now due to the geared system.  I'm unsure of where to change that setting.  I looked and did not find it on this site

Assuming you are using standard marlin and RH firmware  the easiest way is to Go to the config tab then select  the firmware EEPROM configuration tab this will open a window  that ill alow you to change  your steps per mm and a few other things.
You can also enter M codes from the RH command line  IIRC you need to need to enter a save command

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:21546

And last but not least steps can be directly edited in the configure.h  in marlin.

But when I heated up the tip I just wanted to see it extrude some PLA to verify operation.  The motor just clicks going forward and backward a step.   weird.  so I took the titan apart and left the gear only to see if there was some inding or something.  yet still the motor clicks back and forth.
What is that?

Sounds like a loose connection to the stepper motor only one phase is getting power.

I wanted to let you know that I live i … rinting. 

Sound nice The local maker space here has a U-Print SE.

So the reason for all this is I wanted to let you know they just purchased a Voxel8 and a 3DP X1000; http://3dplatform.com/

Looks like a fantastic machine.

I love it when a guy packs 4 posts into one LOL

Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

I'm such a newbe....where and what is VREF?

Ah , the reference voltage.

how and where to measure that and what should I shoot for?

okay, I turned the little screw that I think adjust the VREF

This appeared to make the extruder motor jump back and forth louder...more current.  but no joy on moving in any direction.

I'm prepared to try to verify that I have continuity on my wiring....but how should I go about that?

Still very strange, VERY STRANGE.  When I wired up my original stepper motor, it too is acting the same.  I didn't change anything except the E steps in the EEprom marlin firmware which I have since changed back again to no avail.

ARG!!

I'm running new wire from the E stepper back to the board, but I'm certain that that is NOT the solution, just something to do to seem like I'm making progress.

Something  appears to have changed that in Repetier or my Marlin board that I do not recall changing

Please give me ideas, I'm stuck!

I'm close to uninstalling repetier and reinstalling fresh, but that too does not feel right.

This really sounds like one pair on your motor is not functioning.  Try plugging in one of the other motors X,Y or Z directly to the E axis pins on the board.  Then try extruding say 20mm and see if that axis move smoothly.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

WardJr....I giant DUH!

you are right, I'm embarrassed that I didn't see that obvious test.

Thank you Joe

Holy shit, it's not the motor.  the Z axis motor behaves in the same 'bad" way when hooked to the E output.

I have a bad board or bad program input!?!

Are you checking the wiring as Well??

I have a bad board or bad program input!?!

if the problem ! is coming from the board you may have a broken trace  a cold loose solder joint or a bad driver.      Can you swap drives between axiz.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

What type of board do you have? You may be able to swap stepper drivers depending, and drivers of poor quality can behave in a very peculiar fashion(s). Tin does have a good theory on traces, but unlikely if everything was working fine before the change. When I upgraded to the Titan, I also had motor problems, but they were for completely other reasons and acting different than your issue. This doesn't help, but I just wanted you to know you aren't completely alone in this.

Also, what are your current EEPROM settings for E and your extrusion speeds? When I retract more than 25mm, I get clicking, but this is due to speed settings. Did you change the firmware recently? Also, what motors are you using? Do you have a link?

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

http://soliforum.com/i/?T7jspzO.jpg

Looks like the drivers are removable.

I switched the E driver with the Z driver.  the problem moved to the z motor, but the problem did not go away from the E motor.

I'm ruining this thing as I touch it!!!!

I feel like I need to get a new board, but that may be overkill.

what are your ideas now that I've F'ed this up more?
http://soliforum.com/i/?V2E0GYz.jpg

here are my eeprom settings

107.xx is way too low for E stepps per mm
I use a DRV8825 1/32 driver and my numbers are as shown below
http://i.imgur.com/OuxrsWL.jpg

If you have stock A4988 1/16 drivers, then instead of 855.80, try 427.90 for E.
If this doesn't fix it, try a new motor here
If you buy a new motor for testing, I do not recommend the Nema 14 or the Nema 17.9 degree. If you have any questions or confusion, please contact [email protected]

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Hold up,,,, when you say you changed the driver are you saying you changed the motor that was plugged into the E stepper driver (little removable board) or are you saying you swapped the little boards location on the main board?

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

I'm ruining this thing as I touch it!!!

Make sure power is  off when swapping motor connections or driver boards

great ideas and info thanks

Ward:  both, I switched motors and the little drivers
Tin: yes, I'm being careful when touching the board.  it's humid enough now that I'm unlikely to transmit static.  But I'm being careful and I don't believe that I've shocked my system

Static can be of some concern but i am more worried about driver damage plugging and unplugging motors on a powered up board  can kill the driver chip . Also I would not attempt to plug  in or unplug a driver to a board with power for the same reason.
drivers can ba had for about $ 2.00 each if you buy at the right places but why risk damaging things.
Tin

Thank you, yes!  I'm making sure to turn off the board completely before moving drivers.

Azerate: thank you for your eeprom settings, this seemed to settle down one of my problems.

I'm still having difficulty with one of my drivers.  as i move it between the E and Z axis this problem follows.  I've tried to adjust the pot, but I'm not getting improvement.  I think I need to purchase a replacement or at least try that low cost option.

how do I look up that item for purchase?
what sites do ya'll recommend to buy from?

So clarify for me, you've narrowed the problem down to the stepper motor or the stepper driver?
Both can be found at http://www.printitindustries.com/

wardjr:  when I move the stepper driver, the problem moves with it from between the E and Z axis.  the motors appear to be behaving normally

Since i'm replacing one, I'm considering getting four and keep the others for spares

any reasons for me to avoid the higher priced but 1/32 operation....that's my inclination right now is to get the Stepper drivers - DRV8825.

I prefer DRV8825's but still run X,Y&Z at 1/16 Only E at 1/32.

The new DVR8825's have come in.  what is the procedure.

1. Can I install just one for the E axis?
2. Do I have to make any software changes?

Just remove the old one for E (yes you can do just one). Then plug the new one in its place, the pins are labeled on both boards so just match them up.  Then open EEPROM in RH and double the steps/mm for E:  that's all there is to it other than adjusting VREF on the new driver.