Topic: Large Print Problems

I did a search but couldn't see anything addressing this, though I assume it must be a somewhat common problem.

Essentially, the extruder stops extruding when doing a large surface area print on the print bed.

I'm trying to print this:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:689467

I printed the bottom part before I completely destroyed my stock extruder.  I got a E3Dv6 replacement up and running (thanks to WardJr and Azerate).

I tried to print the top, and I'm seeing similiar issues as before.  In this case, the skirt wasn't even finished yet, and the plastic stopped extruding.  I killed the print, and warmed the hot end back up (~ 230C), and tested a 1cm extrusion, and nothing appears clogged.  I even printed a different smaller piece with no problems after that.

I'm not sure if having the nozzle that close to the heated print bed for so long is causing issues or what.  Anyone had any problems with this?

I've printed several prints with the new hot end before, and one after and the nozzle seems good still.  So I don't think it is a clog or anything.  I'm on a Solidoodle 2 with heated bed, and a new E3Dv6 extruder.  If I can only print small parts from now on, so be it, it seems to function for that, but thought I'd ask around if this was a common problem.

Re: Large Print Problems

If your problem is during the first layer then your nozzle is too close to the bed.  It could also be not enough tension on the filament tension arm or even VREF for that drive being slightly low.  Of course if the filament is stripping on the drive gear a Hobb Goblin will help fix that.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Post some photos so we can see what's going on.

-Kevin

I don't believe the filament is stripping.  I saw that in the old extruder.  The nozzle might be to close to the bed, but it seems fine for most prints.  I'm not sure about the VREF.  Never adjusted those settings.

I'll get pictures sometime this weekend.

Are you printing with ABS or PLA?

Solidoodle 4-Mostly stock running off headless Raspberry Pi with Octoprint

Did you update the firmware to the new temp limits and thermistor type?
Also, do you have a fan blowing on your board? And what type PSU are you using?

I've had this happen before, but pics, video, or a little more info would go a long way.

+1 to the VREF. You can either order a ceramic flathead screwdriver, or you can fold some Kapton over a tiny flathead found in eyeglass repair kits. But before you start adjusting, try giving some pics as it may or may not be as relevant as other underlying issues.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

AZERATE wrote:

Also, do you have a fan blowing on your board?

+1

Fat kids are harder to kidnap!

8 (edited by SpaceCowboy850 2016-07-10 03:42:33)

Yes, I updated my firmware with the proper thermosister type.  Ward helped me dial in my settings, though we never did get the VREF calibrated.  I got the ceramic screwdrivers for the job, but when I looked before, I didn't see any post on how to calibrate VREF, so I haven't done anything with that yet.

I'm printing in ABS plastic.

No fan is blowing on the bed, if that's what you mean.

I'll start a print and get pictures tomorrow.

9 (edited by SpaceCowboy850 2016-07-10 22:39:58)

http://soliforum.com/i/?yBhKcF6.png

Well, I am trying to do a test print, but was having trouble with the bed sticking in one corner.  I'd love a bed that heated more evenly.  Anyways, I've updated to the latest Repetier-Host, and found my temperature graphs to be a bit chaotic on the extruder.  Not good, I think...

Note - it was trying to hit a temperature of 230.

Did you do a PID tuning for the E3D and heatbed? This is not normal

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Just tried to do a PID, and it failed, with "Autotune failed!  Temperature too high"

I've blurred out the point before the autotune started.

http://soliforum.com/i/?ntIysnB.png

Start the auto tune once the heater is up to temp.  This looks more like a loose/bad connection.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

That's what I was just thinking.  I'll do a PID, but right now, I moved the thermosisters a little and I'm getting more consistent results...

Okay - I think the thermosistor might have a short, I moved that around and have had stable temperatures for about 3 hours.  I'm now just fighting standard uneven cooling causing lifting on the corners and I know some of the solutions to that (make an enclosure), I just haven't done it.

If the thermosistor continues to give me problems, what should I do?  Right now it seems fine, but it's unclear when it might act up again.

SpaceCowboy850 wrote:

Okay - I think the thermosistor might have a short, I moved that around and have had stable temperatures for about 3 hours.  I'm now just fighting standard uneven cooling causing lifting on the corners and I know some of the solutions to that (make an enclosure), I just haven't done it.

If the thermosistor continues to give me problems, what should I do?  Right now it seems fine, but it's unclear when it might act up again.

Make sure it's wires still have the teflon sleeves in place all the way to it's body. If the wires or exposed and can touch each other or touch the sides of the hotends mount hole then it could be causing a short and causing your erratic readings. Also check all connections between the thermistor body all the way back to the board for a bad or loose connection. You can always replace it as well as they are very inexpensive. I am sure printit can hook you up..

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Post a picture of your thermistor wires right at the heat block along with any connections.  Maybe we can spot something. 
You can always use Saran Wrap to build a quick temporary enclosure and some triangle pieces of cardboard for a lid.