Topic: Panelolu 1 Upgrade Possibility for i2c

I just built a i2c panel for my CNC converted to a 3d Printer.  It could also provide an upgrade path for owners of the Panelolu so that you can finally run a fan via gcode and use the panel.  It works off the Adafruit i2c backpack which plugs right into the Panelolu LCD.  The mod will require a new connector for the sanguinololu so you can get at the newly freed pins.  Also requires a few mods to the Think3dPrint3d firmware for Marlin.  The Adafruit i2c uses the MCP23008 chip and T3P3 uses the MCP23017 so they have buzzers and lights where my mod does not.

If you are interested in my mod, check it out at http://hobbies.boguerat.com/?page_id=33.

If you'd like me to post a Panelolu specific conversion with the Adafruit i2c, just let me know.  I'd have to create a new case specific to that design.

Re: Panelolu 1 Upgrade Possibility for i2c

This is a great write-up, Wavesurf!! I was looking into this possibility as well, glad to know it works!

Grand Rapids, Michigan
SD2 with Sanguinololu board, glass bed mod, E3d_v5 bowden version hotend (currently direct drive), Lawsy Mk5 jigsaw replacement, octopi printserver, drv8825(tiny troubles)

Seems like the in thing at the moment as I'm working on the same thing as I had already bought a panelulo kit and haven't quite got round to fit it I just bought a I2C / LCD interface off of ebay for a few pounds. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5V-IIC-I2C-Se … 5aed3f0be4

So far I have it working from my arduino with surprising ease. Now comes the tricky part of slotting it in to the firmware. I will then need me to modify each version after that but once I have sorted where everything goes I can't see that taking more than a few minutes each time.

I just plan to keep it simple and not have any of the LEDs or buzzers, but I might add a digital I2C pot for fan control.

4 (edited by Wavesurf 2013-03-02 13:15:03)

Zarni, the marlin firmware has been updated for i2c by Think3dPrint3d and can be found at: https://github.com/T3P3/Marlin.  If your i2c chip is the MCP23017 it should be a straight forward implementation.  If it has the MCP23008 then check out my site in the first post to see where I changed the firmware.  Any other i2c chip you'll have to tinker.  I don't know when the T3P3 changes will make it into the main Marlin distro.  If you are not using the buzzer/leds then there is some overhead in the code but I haven't seen any problems so far.

I will get the T3P3 firmware but my chip is the PCF8574 which doesn't get mentioned in their log. I just chose the cheapest one I could find on ebay as it was only going to be a trial so I could you the fan at the same time.

It should be fairly simple to swap over the LCD library and tweak a few lines as most of it looks the same.

Once I have it working I might try and get it merged in to their distro. I can see on the reprap forum that very similar things are afoot. The problem is just going to be the address, there is some mention of the address in the firmware needs to be twice what the normal address is. Not sure what that is about yet.

I'm glad someone decided to tackle this project,  its been in my to do list and I've had a lcd backpack sitting here for awhile.  Haven't had much printer time lately though.  Kinda upset as, I just got the email my vikilcd shipped. Guess I will save that for a second printer