Topic: da Vinci Jr - Max Speed

Ladies and gents,

I'm using Cura 2.1.2 + ThreeDub CLI version made by our forum member Anthem.

(@anthem you should really consider to set up some kind of a web page with your project and donate button, or patreon.com link. I'm just worried that so many open source projects these days goes unmaintained after a year or so... Just a thought.)

Overall it's working great but whole point I moved to Cura is because I can fine tweak settings to squeeze even more from the Jr.
So my topic of the week is how fast can Jr be.

So my question is - how to confirm if it's really moving as fast as I've defined it in config?!
Using stock hardware print speed is quite easy, it's not about what XY motors are capable of but what extruder is capable of (push filament through)
But what about travel speed?! I've tried to set it to 120mm/s it ran like a crazy (in compare sent to XYZware Fast), tried to set it to 150mm/s felt fast as well but was it any faster than 120?! Or even 120, was it really doing 120?!
How effectively to measure that?!

Also if you swap your extruder with something with the better filament grip, effectively you could increase speed even more.
In theory you could swap hotend as well to something like E3D's Volcano but that's not the easiest task by any stretch. Just a theory.

I know people will say "quality will be rubbish" etc, but just to clarify, I'm not after the quality and balance between the quality and speed, I'm only after speed now.
And then if you have the max speed you can start taper it down to achieve your desired quality.
(also 50% of my prints are structural and don't require fine detail, just some post processing with file or so)

Regards,
Kris M

2 (edited by carl_m1968 2016-06-23 12:09:39)

Re: da Vinci Jr - Max Speed

Travel speeds or only executed during non print movements such as from home to first print position or after print completes and back to home and between parts if you are printing multiple parts. They will not speed up your print time any. As for max print speed the best the larger Da Vinci models can do is around 60mm/s and still lay layers that adhere and feed properly. On the smaller unit I would expect about the same performance since it is basically the same unit just shrunk. I would not expect more than 70mm/s per second print speeds and still get reliable parts.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

@carl_m1968 - About the travel speed I get that but that's the easiest way to test stepper capabilities speed wise.
I've drawn a file which contains 4x small objects on every corner so I can see travel speed between them.
But my question is how to test if it's really going 120mm/s or so?!

Also Jr can squeeze 60mm/s print speed with ease (on 70mm/s extruder starts skipping the steps, 80mm/s on 0.4 layer height but 80mm/s can be achieved on 0.2 layer height if I increase filament temperature from 205 to 215 to make it slightly more runnier, any higher for particular filament makes it to "burn" (discolouration shows up))

All this is just testing to see what Jr is actually capable of in compare sent to XYZware Fast which is 30mm/s.

kr15_uk wrote:

@carl_m1968 - About the travel speed I get that but that's the easiest way to test stepper capabilities speed wise.
I've drawn a file which contains 4x small objects on every corner so I can see travel speed between them.
But my question is how to test if it's really going 120mm/s or so?!

Also Jr can squeeze 60mm/s print speed with ease (on 70mm/s extruder starts skipping the steps, 80mm/s on 0.4 layer height but 80mm/s can be achieved on 0.2 layer height if I increase filament temperature from 205 to 215 to make it slightly more runnier, any higher for particular filament makes it to "burn" (discolouration shows up))

All this is just testing to see what Jr is actually capable of in compare sent to XYZware Fast which is 30mm/s.

If you know the distance between the two points on the bed even from home to print start then just time it then use simple math to solve it.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.