Topic: Temperature Issues on the Solidoodle 3 Motherboard.

Recently the connector for the bed heating wire has melted. I have absolutely no idea why it has as I've been running this printer for about a year with no hiccups (on the motherboard side, that is). I rigged up a modified 3-Pin connector (one of the wires was snipped as  it's a two pin connector) then tied the wires together with some heat-shrink sleeving on the exposed wires. I attempted to heat the bed again and the female connector (on the 3 pin side) had reached 180 degrees F. I know forsure that this isn't supposed to be happening. Any ideas?

Re: Temperature Issues on the Solidoodle 3 Motherboard.

Sounds like a short.  and the wires have become heater coils.
Pull out the ohm meter and start checking things out. you should have at least a couple ohms resistance in your heatbed circuit. and less you will have problems.
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Tin Falcon wrote:

Sounds like a short.  and the wires have become heater coils.
Pull out the ohm meter and start checking things out. you should have at least a couple ohms resistance in your heatbed circuit. and less you will have problems.
Tin

Yep, coming up as 0 ohms. What should i attempt to do now?
If anything...

Buy one of these.
http://www.printitindustries.com/collec … -8-heatbed

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Wont my motherboard on my SD3 just melt those connectors? Or is this powered by something separate?

First of all wardJ  is a founding member of this forum. He is an expert on the solidoodle printers. The product he is offering is designed to be a replacement. Solidoodle is not longer in business so no joy there.

The problem you are having is the short is drawing too much current.  A properly working heat bed will draw only so much.

I agree you need a new heat bed and you may as well get a good one. And keep n mind the one offered above is prewired and has the thermistor installed.

Another option is get a USA made PCB heat bed from e-bay seller "3dheadbeds"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MK1-Heatbed-8-0 … 1704865059
but you will need the additional thermistor and you need to wire it or order the prewire option at the same time you order the heat bed.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Your board can handle the rated wattage of that heater.  It was designed as a drop in replacement.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

These are awesome heatbeds, too. I love mine. smile

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1