Topic: Random Runaway Print Head on a Workbench

So I've had this happen three times now. In the middle of a long print the print head will run off to the front of the printer and not stop. Push it back and it keeps going forever. Killing the print doesn't stop this only turning off the machine. One print all I had to do was turn it 90 degrees and it didn't fail. I've also tried model repair software to find problems in the STL file. Nothing in the G-code looks unusual at the time of failure. Could it be something overheating? Maybe slicer just doesn't like the file? Any ideas?

thanks

Re: Random Runaway Print Head on a Workbench

Stepper drivers are over heating most likely. The stock board setup probably doesn't have adequate airflow or the motors are running at too high a voltage. adjust VREF, search the forum or wiki

Re: Random Runaway Print Head on a Workbench

Well it's puzzling, if it's overheating then is should happen relatively at the same time of a given print. So a quadcopter I was printing I tried it twice, same file but turning it around and changing some settings. One died 3 hours in and the other 5 hours in. Then I rebuilt the file, sent it to microsoft repair service and turned it 90 degrees. This time it went 23 hours before dying, literally 5 layers before it finished. So I don't think it is over heating, I think it's model related. I've done long prints before that never had an issue. Here is a screen shot during one of the failures.http://soliforum.com/i/?cZcg8rg.jpg