Re: Folgertech FT-5

so I did a Z axis accuracy check today on "The Beast" - a simple cylinder, 50mm in diameter x 100mm tall...

dont think I can get it any better than this...

http://soliforum.com/i/?zrifErT.jpg

measuring with calipers, it comes in at 100.03mm tall - pretty spot on for a basically fresh machine with almost no calibration done. smile
diameter comes in a little small at 49.43mm, but still not terrible.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

looks good from My house LOL
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Nice,
Still waiting on mine to show. Suppose to be tomorrow, but we will see.

54 (edited by heartless 2016-08-02 11:48:30)

I tried to hook up a part cooling fan over the weekend. Got the wires run through the cable chain, all nice and neat. printed up the mount & shroud on #1 got it all installed on the printer. Looks pretty good.

Make the connection on the controller board to D9 - the spot the reprap wiki says to hook the fan to - which should make it automatic g-code enabled... except it doesn't work. At all... sad

The firmware for this thing is a "custom" revision of Marlin. And I knew there were some strange things done with it because right rear is not only home, it is also 0,0 (instead of left front being 0,0 as most host software dictates). This is not a huge deal, it simply means that everything is rotated 180 degrees from what is seen on the computer screen.

But after I started poking around a bit more and comparing it to the version of Marlin I have on both of my SD4s, I have discovered that entire sections have been completely removed!

this is the file list for the SD4 version of Marlin:

http://soliforum.com/i/?07JXOvZ.jpg

and here is the file list for the FT-5 version...

http://soliforum.com/i/?tnYNEOP.jpg

Now I can understand removing stuff for your own personal use, but not when this is supposed to be a public release for a kit printer. The makers of the kit have no idea what the end user is going to want to do with a kit - such as upgrading various components like hotends, beds, adding things, etc...

One of the things I noticed missing were several thermistor table references - WHY? That makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever!
The firmware for this printer is so butchered I don't even know where to begin.... I do not understand the thinking behind what was done to this.

My thinking at this point is to make a copy of my SD4 firmware and set it up for the FT-5 - seems to me this is going to be the easier route for me to take to get things the way they "should" be...

Rant over...

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

heartless wrote:

I tried to hook up a part cooling fan over the weekend. Got the wires run through the cable chain, all nice and neat. printed up the mount & shroud on #1 got it all installed on the printer. Looks pretty good.

Make the connection on the controller board to D9 - the spot the reprap wiki says to hook the fan to - which should make it automatic g-code enabled... except it doesn't work. At all... sad

The firmware for this thing is a "custom" revision of Marlin. And I knew there were some strange things done with it because right rear is not only home, it is also 0,0 (instead of left front being 0,0 as most host software dictates). This is not a huge deal, it simply means that everything is rotated 180 degrees from what is seen on the computer screen.

But after I started poking around a bit more and comparing it to the version of Marlin I have on both of my SD4s, I have discovered that entire sections have been completely removed!

this is the file list for the SD4 version of Marlin:

http://soliforum.com/i/?07JXOvZ.jpg

and here is the file list for the FT-5 version...

http://soliforum.com/i/?tnYNEOP.jpg

Now I can understand removing stuff for your own personal use, but not when this is supposed to be a public release for a kit printer. The makers of the kit have no idea what the end user is going to want to do with a kit - such as upgrading various components like hotends, beds, adding things, etc...

One of the things I noticed missing were several thermistor table references - WHY? That makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever!
The firmware for this printer is so butchered I don't even know where to begin.... I do not understand the thinking behind what was done to this.

My thinking at this point is to make a copy of my SD4 firmware and set it up for the FT-5 - seems to me this is going to be the easier route for me to take to get things the way they "should" be...

Rant over...

Well........ I have to agree with that. Mine was just delivered today. I will have to take a peek at it tonight, but probably wont get it set up until this weekend.

before you do anything - unpack and do a complete inventory of all parts - including the hardware. Sort the hardware into either a plastic parts box - the kind with dividers - or even egg cartons work. You will save yourself a lot of headaches during assembly if the hardware is sorted and labeled before you start.

If you find anything missing or damaged, email Folgertech right away - pictures of damaged items are very useful to them and will speed up the process.

How much time would you say you have into this build so far? You responded in my thread for advice about the Rigidbot so you may remember that I and a partner are looking at buying an FT-5 for our own use and some freelance prototyping. We're both capable of doing all the things you're doing but I'm wondering what our time commitment will need to be in order to make it both accurate and reliable. I have set up a Printrbot Simple once a couple years ago but, to my knowledge, my partner has never set up a printer.

belgarion115 wrote:

How much time would you say you have into this build so far? You responded in my thread for advice about the Rigidbot so you may remember that I and a partner are looking at buying an FT-5 for our own use and some freelance prototyping. We're both capable of doing all the things you're doing but I'm wondering what our time commitment will need to be in order to make it both accurate and reliable. I have set up a Printrbot Simple once a couple years ago but, to my knowledge, my partner has never set up a printer.

Barring any missing or damaged parts, the kit can easily be put together over a weekend if you are fairly handy, and actually be printing before the weekend is out if you dont have anything else to do...

as for actual hours spent? I honestly have no idea. it was a little here, a little there - run into an issue, ask questions about said issue, wait for responses... and so on...

The biggest issue with this kit is the so called "build guide" - it is very rough, and there are some confusing pictures (things oriented one way in one picture, and the opposite way in the next one). Things are being corrected, but not very quickly...

there is a spreadsheet on Google docs that was set up for users to comment on things that they found either confusing, or just plain wrong and at this point, it is a rather useful additional tool when building.

The wiring section of the build guide is the worst part, and I took some time (a couple of days actually) to put together a wiring schematic to try to help others with that aspect of things. I have been told by those that have used it that it is "invaluable", lol. Even the owner of FT has asked if he can use it in future revisions of the build guide.

If you do decide to get one, make sure you have a stable, solid, space to put it - it is HUGE! approximately 2 feet wide x 2 feet deep x 2.5 feet tall (not taking into account space for a filament spool holder somewhere... side... top... where ever) and weighs in somewhere in the 40-45 pound range. I can pick it up and move it, but it is an armful and I don't go far with it!

So the physical building of it isn't so bad and the wiring will take a little thinking but should be manageable. What about setting up and calibrating? It sounded like you were rather annoyed with the way the software was set up.

In stock form, it works fine, but yeah, the stock firmware has really been hacked to bits and is pretty useless if one wants to add things to the printer - like a layer fan - this should be simple, but isnt.

the good news is they are working on a better version - in fact, I tested it this morning and am much happier with the new version, altho it is not exactly to my liking either, LOL... nothing terrible, mind you, just not what I am used to.

and I actually have done very little calibrating of this printer.

First thing is to get vref set close to where it needs to be so all axis move smoothly (can be fine tuned later) and then make sure the extruder steps/mm are right - ask it to feed 100mm, you get 100mm.

then get the bed leveled properly (that can be interesting with a bed of this size). I actually bought a 3/16" plate of aluminum to stabilize the PCB bed heater (kind of flimsy on its own - but I think they have changed to a different bed heater now than what I got)

since I have multiple printers, for filament it was a simple matter of selecting the spool of filament I wanted to use from my existing profile list (i have lots to choose from that have already been calibrated) and the darn thing prints great - right out of the starting gate - at 80mms a sec print speed. (just about double what I run my SD4s at) and that is just my chosen starting point. It is supposedly capable of a lot more speed

Now that I have better firmware installed that will allow me to make changes without producing errors, I will be proceeding with the E3D volcano and titan upgrades to make better use of the speed capabilities smile

I have kind of been putting off getting the Volcano installed - wiring is probably one of my least favorite things to do, and I tend to be a bit OCD about it as well (making it that much harder on myself) I hate messy wiring. hmm

the biggest dilemma I am facing at the moment is how to go about making the connections..
there is a LOT of wiring between the extruder carriage and the controller board (probably close to 5.5 - 6 ft worth) and it is all housed in cable chains to keep things nice and tidy... so I debated about pulling it all out and redoing everything, or using connectors and the existing wiring to hook up the new hotend, thermistor and fan... I finally decided to use connectors at the carriage for everything - now to just get them installed neatly.

and then there is the matter of a spacer for the Titan extruder. I found on on thingiverse that also has a part fan mount incorporated (not that I use a fan a lot, but it would be nice to have one when I want it) but it isn't quite thick enough, so I need to make it thicker and reprint..
I need the Titan mounted so I know how long the wires need to be before putting in the connectors for everything.

so, one thing leads to another... and the printer is down with no hotend or extruder installed at the moment.... hmm

Wiring is not my favorite task either. I hope you get it all sorted and working again. I have looked at getting one of those machines but it is just too much to get it shipped up here to Canada. Oh well, I haven't totally sorted the one I have at this point.

I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!
Wanhao Duplicator I3 Plus with glass bed, MK10 All Metal Hot End

63 (edited by heartless 2016-08-12 11:46:37)

wagnmkr wrote:

Wiring is not my favorite task either. I hope you get it all sorted and working again. I have looked at getting one of those machines but it is just too much to get it shipped up here to Canada. Oh well, I haven't totally sorted the one I have at this point.

There is a guy in the FolgerTech Facebook group that is trying to get set up as a Canadian "supplier" for that very reason - if you really are interested in one I would suggest reaching out to him for more information. I can probably get you an email address if you want.

Well, my partner and I pulled the trigger and ordered one last night along with 6k of ABS. We're going to get another extruder, build an enclosure, heat the enclosure, and probably put a borosilicate glass bed on it. Exciting! I'll probably start a thread for it when we get started in order to document our troubles, solutions, and modifications. Heartless, I'm hoping you'll be around when we get stumped and cry out for help. smile

heartless wrote:
wagnmkr wrote:

There is a guy in the FolgerTech Facebook group that is trying to get set up as a Canadian "supplier" for that very reason - if you really are interested in one I would suggest reaching out to him for more information. I can probably get you an email address if you want.

I don't do Facebook, so if you could let me know how to contact this gentleman, it would be great. I don't think it will be long before I have a second machine and I am looking for better quality.

i will see what I can do. smile

Can you tell me the distance between the two horizontal bars at the top? See attached image.

Post's attachments

FT-5 Upper Bars Distance.JPG
FT-5 Upper Bars Distance.JPG 35.46 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

it is supposed to be 160mm (16cm)

Setting mine at 160mm did not allow the Z-rods and leadscrew to completely fit in mounts /bearings
I adjusted to 165 mm and much better rod / leadscrew fit,
entirely in clamps.

belgarion115 wrote:

Can you tell me the distance between the two horizontal bars at the top? See attached image.

Extruders have subjected me to the most frustration in all 3D printing.
FT-5 no different.
Very erratic extrusion from the FT-5.
Can't really calibrate the extrusion.
Tried different filament, and disassembled extruder many times
lots of grinding going on in there!
Very free feed from spool above.
Any suggestions before I mount a E3D Titan on it.
May try a wire feed gear I have around here?
Should work out of the box?

cozmicray wrote:

Extruders have subjected me to the most frustration in all 3D printing.
FT-5 no different.
Very erratic extrusion from the FT-5.
Can't really calibrate the extrusion.
Tried different filament, and disassembled extruder many times
lots of grinding going on in there!
Very free feed from spool above.
Any suggestions before I mount a E3D Titan on it.
May try a wire feed gear I have around here?
Should work out of the box?

1. Make sure the set screw on the drive gear is on the flat part of the shaft and good & tight.
2. Make sure the hole in the nozzle mount is lined up properly with the output of the feed mechanism (it isn't causing binding of the filament - You should be able to push filament through by hand fairly easily when at temp and tension released)
3. Have you adjusted the voltage on the stepper driver for that motor? the stepper drivers do not come with voltage preset - you need to do it.

For testing purposes, you can remove the fan & heatsink and re-mount the nozzle block (use shorter screws so it is tight) so you can see what is going on. Do not leave it this way long term, however.

I am not a big fan of the MK series extruders due to not being able to see what is going on with the drive system, but they should work fine if things are set up correctly.

Also - correct temperature for the filament being used is necessary - for standard PLA in the range of 190-200C should be sufficient - ABS should work in the 230-235C range...

finally got the E3D Titan and Volcano installed on the FT-5 (aka The Beast) today... running its first calibration cube right now...
it is going to take some getting used to working with the larger nozzle sizes. tongue

Also running it from a new to us laptop that was given to us -  a quad core HP Pavilion running Win7 Home Premium. seems to be working pretty well after a few days of cleanup and clean out (OMG - the garbage that was installed on this thing!)

So, how is the beast working? I am still considering one of these to build. I have an ESDv6 coming from Filistruder that I will use on whatever machine I build.

Tom

wagnmkr wrote:

So, how is the beast working? I am still considering one of these to build. I have an ESDv6 coming from Filistruder that I will use on whatever machine I build.

Tom

To be honest, I have not really had time to mess with it much after getting the Volcano & Titan installed - way too many other things going on.

Hoping to get back to it soon, tho. tongue

heartless wrote:
wagnmkr wrote:

Tom

To be honest, I have not really had time to mess with it much after getting the Volcano & Titan installed - way too many other things going on.

Hoping to get back to it soon, tho. tongue

I know the feeling all too well. It amazes me when some of my friends say they are bored 'cause they have nothing to do!

Tom