Topic: Davinci1 powering off, E3D+12fan and 5vfan and 140 watt bed hackedpsu.

I am having a issue maybe someone can help me with?.

I have a Davinci 1 3D printer with 140 watt heated bed replacement and E3D V6 + 12volt fan, old 5volt Fan wired up.

I got a replacement Heated bed its 140 watt, old was xyz was warped and 130watt, so then I had psu go pop, and I got a pc replacement 320 watt, did the wired or hacked so it working, Then I installed a new E3D v6 as my old XYZ one broke. 

So now I have the printer powering off when I try and heat the bed or heat up the E3D, so the 140 watt is issue drawing too much power as the old 130 watt works tested ok with just power on and heat them both, so  no power off.

So is there a way to use the 140 watt bed with E3D, I do not really want to buy another 130 watt bed if I don't have to $50+ cdn and shipping, bare with me I am newbie here when it comes hacking this psu and wiring it up this xyz davinic 1.  so I am not really sure if I can add a wire from the psu to get the 10 watts I need or  do I need to change the wire for the E3D or fans , not really sure how the power can be modified to what I need.     

so that's my issue?  anyone.

Re: Davinci1 powering off, E3D+12fan and 5vfan and 140 watt bed hackedpsu.

Old PSU popped after installing new heated bed?!
And now it's cutting off with beefier PSU?!
I would suspect heated bed or wiring.

To be honest I would grab a multimeter and measure the bed draw to see if it's within the spec.
If it's cutting off straight away try to wire it to external 12v PSU (to meet the bed spec you'll need at least 12V 12A PSU) and test it then.

And I didn't get that fan story... Mind to rephrase it?!

3 (edited by techjunkie 2016-05-31 17:45:49)

Old PSU popped after installing new heated bed?!

> ya I think so

And now it's cutting off with beefier PSU?!

> yes but can only test with the E3D old XyZ print head broke and is trash.
but not right away, only shuts off when I heat up the E3D  or the 140 watt heat bed.

To be honest I would grab a multimeter and measure the bed draw to see if it's within the spec.
If it's cutting off straight away try to wire it to external 12v PSU (to meet the bed spec you'll need at least 12V 12A PSU) and test it then.

> Ya I will try hooking up a meter and also see if I  can move the fans to a external 12 volt 12 amp power,since they don't need to regulated and can stay on the heat bed does.

And I didn't get that fan story... Mind to rephrase it?!

> sorry about that! brain goes on autopilot and  encodes my communication with the outside world,  it's a early in the morning things for me smile gets worse when I am doing computer programming or code or trying to explain something technical to others, brain wants edit what I type and say and skips any parts of the English language it thinks is not required.

>The fans I have the E3D 12 volt fan blue one and Orig XyZ 5 volt fan wired directly to the psu harness, maybe I can loose the 12 volt and try and use just the 5volt with fan shroud for both bed and E3D.

Ok thanks again for your feedback I think I have few options.

update:

I going to just use my old heater 130watt bed, since I have it all wired up now and it works with it so far, I tried testing it with the 140 watt bed again it shuts off as soon as  apply +power(heat with control panel settings) to it, so its a over voltage from the 140 watt heater bed and its shutting off to protect it self I am guessing as does not do it with 130 watt so don't think I need to do anything else, so I am going to just put another glass plate over the old one with a few chips and then I test  more, hopefully that's it with this money pit 3d printer lol.

Sounds to me like your 140 bed is shorted. Thats only a .8 amp fifference and a new power supply that has nearly three times the capacity of the stock one. A 140 watt bed shouldn't be a problem for the new supply unless the new bed is shorted. Measure the resistance across the old bed versus the new bed when it is not connected to the board.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

5 (edited by techjunkie 2016-05-31 20:00:09)

Ok thanks I will try that , I see parts of the sheet are lifted off the glass. So if  the heat element sheet it is shorted is it a write off  and I will  need a new heat sheet or is there a possible known fix or patch a break?. 

carl_m1968 wrote:

Sounds to me like your 140 bed is shorted. Thats only a .8 amp fifference and a new power supply that has nearly three times the capacity of the stock one. A 140 watt bed shouldn't be a problem for the new supply unless the new bed is shorted. Measure the resistance across the old bed versus the new bed when it is not connected to the board.

Can you post up the make/model of your new PSU? You have to keep in mind that the 320W number is the total wattage across all the rails, and no single rail can actually deliver that or anything near it. If you look into the detailed specifications, you should see a wattage for the 12V rail, which is the number you actually want.

7 (edited by techjunkie 2016-05-31 21:29:04)

Its a soild Gear Flex/mini-ITX- SDGR-FLEX320,  same as talked about on this post - http://www.soliforum.com/topic/10604/re … /?login=1. so same basic wiring chopped  wires from the 20/24 pin and wired up 12v, 5v, 3.3v, and ground + 12volt fan wired in and also I have the old 5volt fan wired in as well I planned on using it for cooling the layers.

ok oya I should have looked at the box  overlooked that thanks.

says 204W and 17A,

Okay, so it should nominally be enough for a 140W heater, but clearly something is wrong and it's probably one of these:
- The total 17A is split across a few 12V rails, and your wiring is putting all the load on one of them
- The heater has a short and is drawing more than the 140W / 12V = 11.67A it's supposed to be drawing
- The PSU is not meeting its nominal specs
- There's another load somewhere that's bringing the total over the PSU's specs

For the first one, you just have to be careful and double check your wiring.
For the second one, grab a multimeter and measure your heater's resistance. It should be very close to 12V / 11.67A = 1.03 ohms.
For the third one, you would have to measure the load on the PSU just before it turns off, which is hard.
For the last one, you mentioned that the PSU cuts out if you turn on the bed OR the E3D heater? You never get far enough to turn on both?

9 (edited by techjunkie 2016-06-03 02:31:17)

wiley wrote:

Okay, so it should nominally be enough for a 140W heater, but clearly something is wrong and it's probably one of these:
- The total 17A is split across a few 12V rails, and your wiring is putting all the load on one of them
- The heater has a short and is drawing more than the 140W / 12V = 11.67A it's supposed to be drawing
- The PSU is not meeting its nominal specs > ya that could be I guess.

- There's another load somewhere that's bringing the total over the PSU's specs > it looks like it, I do have some older pc psu that might still I might try and test them with it, might just have remove this psu if its the source.

For the first one, you just have to be careful and double check your wiring. > ya I have redone it few times last week, I got it to work few time few days ago, I though I had it fixed. I tested it a few times it worked, so I started to put it back together and then back to the same thing again.

For the second one, grab a multi meter and measure your heater's resistance. It should be very close to 12V / 11.67A = 1.03 ohms.  > 

I hooked up the 140, and 130 watt wires and I got 0.2.5, 0. 2.6 ohms with no power unconnected, so no were near 1.03.
so does that look like there both shorted or not yet?
I also tested the E3D wires , I got 6.3 ohms for the E3D heater, then enabled to heat it up on and when, I could see 11.8 volts on meter before power failed.

For the third one, you would have to measure the load on the PSU just before it turns off, which is hard.
> ya I will try, also going to hook up a pc psu and test that.

For the last one, you mentioned that the PSU cuts out if you turn on the bed OR the E3D heater? You never get far enough to turn on both?

> yes correct only one or the other accept for E3D the bed need to be not hooked up.

Current Issue:
>So now if I disconnect the bed I can heat up the E3D, if I have the bed and E3D hooked up I can heat the bed, but when I try to heat the E3D up, I loose all power. 

So I just tested a 2nd power supplie 2 I mean  one per plug and it works both E3D and heat bed are working at the same time, so might just goe that way the 2nd psu is 200 watt same xyz one, not really what I wanted, so for some reason that soild gear psu it not running at full power or its defective or I broke it.

So ok thanks for all your help, I will keep at it until this dam hunk of jumk is working or burning in the back yard in a heap!!!.  smile

10 (edited by techjunkie 2016-06-04 09:24:48)

ok last update for now.
So I found out my replacement Soild Gear 350  12volt  the unmodified plug side on the power supply was not putting out enough power to handle that E3D+ 12 volt fan side  and the other side plug  was ok with powering + 130/140 watt  heated bed .  So for now I added/replaced the weak SG 320 12volt plug side with a 2nd 250 pc cube pc power 12volt  supply and stuck it in the XYZ spool holder in the back and cut a hole for power cord and removed the small board for the old xyz cart drm and then plugged into the mb.  so now the soild gear 350 powers the E3D+12voltFan+, and the 250 psu for the Heatbed, so now it all working, and I should have power to spare for a layer fan and fume blower fan.

I will revist the psu issue in near future and and convert it back to one psu maybe.
thank you to all who helped me with this issue.  I am up and running!!

Cheers techjunkie