Topic: Hello from Long Beach, CA. got SD3 yesterday, help connecting to mac!

I just received my sd3 yesterday. I ordered it on 12/26/12 (christmas present to myself). I'm setting it up and am following instructions provided online and having problems. I have a mac book pro, and installed repetier host 0.53 for mac then I set all the printer setting as they should be for the sd3. I then plugged in the power printer to then the usb to my computer, and the port connection will not recognize the printer. It only gives me choices for "virtual printer", "bluetooth pda sync" and "bluetooth modem" . My printer does not show up. I am a noob here, so any help will be much appreciated. Am I missing any more software or drivers?

Re: Hello from Long Beach, CA. got SD3 yesterday, help connecting to mac!

Not sure about a mac, but make sure your usb/serial drivers are installed.  Had a simular problem with my pc when I plugged in the printer cable to usb, and booted machine, could not find the drivers for that com cause its wireless to internet, and was slow connecting.  Checked device manager and loaded new drivers from internet. Then had to choose the com port that appeared after loading drivers ( in repetier).  Only had com 3 before, then after re-boot, com 4 appeared.  I selected com 4 and works fine.

3 (edited by nickythegreek 2013-02-26 19:32:10)

I had the same issue on my mac.

Follow step 2 of this guide:
http://www.solidoodle.com/mac-instructions/

Thank you for the responses! I followed the steps to that link and SUCCESS!!!! I added the FTDI drivers and my mac book now recognizes the SD3. I have control on the printer now. I just installed my filament and I'm going to attempt to do my first test print. well see how this goes. thanks again you all are very helpful. This is a cool printer community.

Hey Matt,

When you get a chance can you go to the 'Printer' menu on your top bar and click on 'EEPROM Settings'.  A new window will pop up.  Does that window have any text in the white box or is it just empty?  On mine is empty and I don't think I have found another mac user who have options in there like the windows users.

Nick- I just checked, and it is also just an empty box.  Just a mac thing i guess. I did just finish my first  test print and it came out good. So far I'm impressed with this machine, looks like it was worth the wait.

Matt,  there is a 3D printing meetup the first Sun of each month (this Sun) at Deezmaker in Pasadena - http://deezmaker.com/.   You should consider going, it's always fun to meet people who know what the heck you're talking about, and see other printers.  I'll be there with my Filastruder.

IanJohnson wrote:

I'll be there with my Filastruder.

awww yeah...

thanks Ian! I've actually been there once and checked out the bukobot when I was researching different 3d printers to purchase. Its a cool hacker space. The owner was really nice and shared a lot information with me. I have a day job every sunday that i have to be at. I would like to go sometime tho. There is also a community here in long beach that i just found out about called "long beach maker society". gotta check that out as well, it's so close to me lol.

Hey guys! I've been playing with the sd3 for most of the day today and printed out a couple of things off thingiverse. I notice that my prints are coming out stringy and not up to par. I did a bed calibration and also checked my extruder calibration. The amount the extruder puts out is off. I extrude 100mm and the actual amount that comes out is 125mm.  I came across your videos Ian and they are very help full, good job and thanks!. So Im having a problem figuring out how to change the setting in the extruder. I understand that I need to make the change in the firmwear, and can change it in the eeprom settings. I don't know how to reach those setting to make the change. I am on the mac book and using repetier. what firmwear do i have (ima noob)?  Ive been doing hours of research today to fix it. learning a lot and having fun with this printer. Any help would be much appreciated

Do a quick forum search for M500, and you should find a post that explains what you need to do.   You can use M92 E(#of steps) to change the steps/mm for the extruder, then enter M500 to write it to EEPROM.