Topic: Extruding a LOGO - best tool

Hey - new to 3D Printing here - got a Cube from Cubify as a first starting point - having fun and stumbled onto this forum - pretty cool!

I am working on a new project - need to get a logo of my company into a 3D modeling program so I can create an extruded part and also a need the logo to cut away in a recieving part (want logo different color and it to sit inside another part). I am using Cubify invent right now and cant figure it out - any suggestions on the tools to do this? Open to using other tools, but not ready to learn solid works yet!

Thanks!

Re: Extruding a LOGO - best tool

jgalinov wrote:

Hey - new to 3D Printing here - got a Cube from Cubify as a first starting point - having fun and stumbled onto this forum - pretty cool!

I am working on a new project - need to get a logo of my company into a 3D modeling program so I can create an extruded part and also a need the logo to cut away in a recieving part (want logo different color and it to sit inside another part). I am using Cubify invent right now and cant figure it out - any suggestions on the tools to do this? Open to using other tools, but not ready to learn solid works yet!

Thanks!

If you post a picture of it I can give it a try.

tinkercad.com is a great tool to do this easily.  Get the logo in black & white svg file, import into tinkercad and extrude the new shape to the desired height.  Download the new stl and load it into your Cubify software package for printing.

If the logo is a vector file the easiest way might be to open it in Inkscape and use the "Inkscape to OpenSCAD converter". From OpenSCAD you can easily export as STL.

Inkscape (free): http://inkscape.org/
Inkscape to OpenSCAD converter: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:25036

Thanks guys - partially helpful. I was able to convery my logo to an SVG file and I brought it into Tinkercad...great for doing an STL of the positive. What I also need to know is how do I convert that logo to a 2D Sketch that I can use in Cubify Invent or some other 3D Tool to create my other part. The other part is not a simple thing - I have it drown in Cubify Invent, but I want to put the logo as a slight hole in this part so I can take the positive of the logo and press it in there...make sense?

Not married to Cubify invent here, but also don't want to spend $3k - so what tool can do this?

Thanks!!

Haha - ok so after some tinkering around a bit - I figured it out with Tinekercad...I bit the bullet and paid the 19.99 for a subscription - can import STL files now...took my base from Cubify Invent and imported it - used my logo to make the logo cutout! Worked great...at least in CAD - now to test out the print.

Thanks for the push in the right direction...I am still looking for a good tool that can do all this natively instead of having to use a couple different tools...so any suggestions would be great.

Thanks again!

7 (edited by nickythegreek 2013-02-26 22:53:58)

you can import STL files into tinkercad without a subscription btw.  The subscription just gives you the license to use your designs in a commercial way, access to shapescripts, import other people's tinkercad designs and store more than the 1 creation at a time.

There really isn't a single application that will do everything you will need for many projects.  But there are a couple full featured ones that can take place of 2-3 smaller apps.

For instance, look how many apps are used for this scanning cleanup. 
http://vimeo.com/38764290