51 (edited by Yakantosh 2016-06-03 18:32:07)

Re: First 3d printer

I finally fixed the axis homing, it ended up being a combination of firmware not matching the locations of the endstops.  Problem number two: The hot end does not want to heat up.  I can get the bed heated, its just the hot end that is giving me problems.  Initially, when I attempted heat the hot end there was a small amount of smoke from the board.  I was hoping that it was nothing, but maybe I shorted it?  Funny thing is that I have triple checked the connections and everything is spot on.

-Yak

That is an endstop issue.  Basically it thinks they are already home.
Typically those switches are wired in a N.C. arrangement and when triggered become a N.O. circuit.  You can either change the wiring on the switch or switch it in the firmware.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

wardjr wrote:

That is an endstop issue.  Basically it thinks they are already home.
Typically those switches are wired in a N.C. arrangement and when triggered become a N.O. circuit.  You can either change the wiring on the switch or switch it in the firmware.

That explanation helped out.  I went into the configuration and was able to edit the firmware code to get all of the axis to work.  I also figured out that a pathway in the circuit had burnt out prohibiting the hot end from receiving a current.  I just used a piece of 22 gauge wire to fix it.

-Yak

54 (edited by Tin Falcon 2016-06-03 22:31:42)

sounds like you are having fun Yak

would not be the first time I have seen a wire soldered in to patch a trace.
So you should be printing soon???

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Tin Falcon wrote:

sounds like you are having fun Yak

would not be the first time I have seen a wire soldered in to patch a trace.
So you should be printing soon???

Haha, yeah.  This is some uncharted territory for me... And as frustrating as it can be it is really fun to figure out!  And when I need to fix issues down the road, I already have the hard part out of the way.

I just finished my first print!  It was a 20mm test cube, and the only hitch was that the sample PLA was not enough to get through the whole cube.  That's what I get for having a five layer wall thickness. 

Thanks to everyone for helping me get the printer up and running!

http://soliforum.com/i/?ZHThlQu.jpg

-Yak

56 (edited by Tin Falcon 2016-06-03 23:41:32)

Haha, yeah.  This is some uncharted territory for me... And as frustrating as it can be it is really fun to figure out!  And when I need to fix issues down the road, I already have the hard part out of the way.

Down the road when something breaks you will need to pull out the manual and realearn .

But the beauty of the kit build is you have a very good understanding of how things go together. A kit build is not for everyone nor is 3d printing. For the hearty of soul who chooses to build a 3d printer the rewards are immense. It is a great asset to able to repair a printer as well as use it.

Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

Just when I thought things were smooth sailing... When I upload the g code to the sd card while it is in the 2004 lcd board, it gets until it says "Done saving file."  Afterwards, I am not able to run the print job from the computer, and the saved file does not show up in the menu on the lcd.  I can see the file when I insert the sd card into my computer, but it is a read only file and will not allow me to delete it.  Another firmware issue, or a repetier glitch?

-Yak

May or not be a glitch. I have done a fair  amount of printing from the SD card. As well as from rh on the computer.
For whatever reason I save for SD print in the slicer drop down . have not done much in the sd card dropdown. try saving a file to the sd with the sd in the computer then move the sd card to the lcd  and then see if it shows up.

Tin

If you need filament  I Have found the Inland brand from Microcenter to be very useful it is about as cheap as you can get and produces decent prints. There is one in the Riverfront Shopping center on Elston ave. Chicago.
And yes 5 perimeters is a bit excessive I like 3 and that is sometimes overkill.
Tin

I also like the Inland brand filaments from Microcenter (i have to order online, but they ship pretty quickly). Their silver PLA is really nice - looks kind of like pewter when printed.
I have several colors of their PLA, and quite a few of their ABS - both print pretty well for the cost.

I typically use 3 perimeters also... but it kind of depends on what is being printed... most items will print fine with 3, but some do better with more (things with steep top curves like more, or you could end up with gaps)

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

I will actually be heading to that exact Microcenter location today, myself! smile

Inland PLA is great when in a pinch. The Microcenter on Elston has been a big help at times, though the staff there are far from the most knowledgeable when it comes to 3D printers. Their house PLA is the best low shelf PLA I have come across.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

62 (edited by Tin Falcon 2016-06-04 16:35:34)

The microcenter I use is too far for a trip to the store . But I usually find myself driving very close a few times a year or make a short detour. They also carry the arduino 2560 boards usually on sale for $10 and ramps board for $20  they also usually have the drivers but way over priced IMHO.
The guy in the 3d printing area seemed knowledgeable. we talked a little about my kit build and he seemed to understand . 
tin

Is very funny you said that. I just bought the Mega 2560 and SS Ramps lol
Plus, a new printer. It's a boring 2D printer, so not much excitement there sad

Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on

64 (edited by Tin Falcon 2016-06-04 20:00:06)

Probably a good thing the"local" store is so far away seems like I cant walk in the place without spending at least $ 50 about the same for Printed Solid. went for the open house and ended up buying a 3d pen. 

Last trip to MC  2   2560s and 2 SS ramps and a roll of filament. . hobby or addiction Hmm.

On a more serious note and thread hijacking aside I tried to print from the sd card via RH . no problem . and I tried to delete a file it reported file deleted but did not remove the file name from the list. I then attempted again to delete the file it gave a firmware configuration error then the file disappeared and seems to have been deleted so yes I expect another tweak to be made in the firmware.

Tin

I got out of there at around $70, so not too bad.
The cost of going to Microcenter is pretty reasonable, but it's the fact that I pass my favorite restaurant on the way back that really hammers down the nails haha. Lots of good food in Chiraq

Anyway, OP- Do you have the printer plugged in via USB to the computer while saving to the card? This can cause some irregular behavior if not cause damage

There are actualy two ways to "save" to the card save to the card through the print preview icon .
or Upload to the sd through the SD dropdown.

I also figured out that a pathway in the circuit had burnt out prohibiting the hot end from receiving a current.  I just used a piece of 22 gauge wire to fix it.

I have been thinking about this and that you had dropped the board.  I am thinking probably a factory defect. A scratch on the trace that made it weak.   But kudos for fixing it. Any more most folks would just replace the board..

Soo you feeling successful ?? After IRC a couple dozen at least good prints I had to fiddle with the Z end stop things do loosen up on these so keep up on the screws seems like just the nature of mechanical things so after a few weeks go back and check your screws and electrical connections with screws. The good news is after adjusting this thing it is printing better than before. Tin

I've been busy the last couple days and haven't been able to work on the printer.  I have tried saving it with the printer connected.  And yeah, it sent a power surge through my laptop.  Luckily nothing got damaged.  Unfortunately the only computer I have to work with right now is a mac, so maybe that has something to do with files not saving correctly? 

Also, I will have to check out that micro center.  Maybe pick up a roll of abs to mess around with...

-Yak