Topic: Da Vinci Jr z-offset/x-axis counterbalance mod

I just wanted to share a mod that i've had awesome results with on the Davinci Jr.
I added a counter balance system to the right side of the x-axis assembly to prevent the arm from sagging down due to the weight of the extruder.

I got the printer about a week ago and spent about an hour looking at the design and decided to mod it for better z-offset precision and this is what i ended up doing.

This is a fun little printer that is capable of amazing prints once the small kinks are ironed out.
(hopefully the video link works)

Re: Da Vinci Jr z-offset/x-axis counterbalance mod

Nice thinking.
How heavy is your counterweight?

I had the same problem few weeks back, was considering redesigning right hand side rod mount mechanism, even considering wiring in additional stepper motor but at the I've solved it by simple hack - by cutting out little paper pieces and putting them under the left side print bed standoffs. (that idea came to me when I was looking at how to level the bed and seen some transparent plastic cut outs already there on one side, presume this is the step of final calibration at XYZ factories)

Thanks, admittedly we design these types of setups on tissue printers at work so I figured why not lol.
The weight is 340 grams (approximately .75 lbs), it was kinda hard to come to that since it's tricky measuring the big carriage assemblies weight but that weight seems to work well.

My bed was perfectly level, verified it with a bubble leveler so I didn't want to mess too much with that but it definitely seems like a quicker fix to use spacers there.
If you come up with any other good ideas deff let me know.

Heres an idea I've been toying with. Is it not feasible to reverse the 4 corner clips on the bed so that they hold the glass from underneath rather than clamp down? Then fit some form of adjuster under each corner utilising the four screw holes somehow to give us some sort of manual bed-levelling or would that not work? Kind of a fine adjuster setup. The corner clips would have to be adhered to the glass. Ideally removable. The fine adjusters would then be able to raise and lower the bed just enough to fine tune it. What do you guys think? Is it doable?

5 (edited by Anthem 2016-09-02 01:45:34)

gravy wrote:

Heres an idea I've been toying with. Is it not feasible to reverse the 4 corner clips on the bed so that they hold the glass from underneath rather than clamp down? Then fit some form of adjuster under each corner utilising the four screw holes somehow to give us some sort of manual bed-levelling or would that not work? Kind of a fine adjuster setup. The corner clips would have to be adhered to the glass. Ideally removable. The fine adjusters would then be able to raise and lower the bed just enough to fine tune it. What do you guys think? Is it doable?

Sounds totally doable. I've had similar thoughts (though your idea for re-using the stock clips is a new one) that involve printing little nut trap inserts to fit under the bed. There are some parts similar to this all over Thingiverse but it can be hard to find just the right one to fit a given situation.

That said, I'm currently planning a total overhaul of my Y axis anyway, which will involve putting together a new bed support. I'm going to use printed V-slot and rail clamps to support two 8x600mm rails, then more V-slot and printed bearing holders for the carriage. I haven't yet figured out how I'll mount the bed itself, but I'm thinking I'll insert some kind of adjustable platform like you're talking about, maybe using something similar to these (though I'd like to find a design or adjust this one to eliminate the springs): http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1320658

For mounting the clips upside down on the bed, I'd probably go for mounting tape. It's a flexible (foamy kind of) double-sided tape that should be easy to find at big-box hardware stores. Very sticky stuff.