Topic: max temp/ firmware issues on workbench

I have been using my solidoodle workbench with improving success for the last six months although in the last week it has been refusing to heat higher than 180 degrees C. I use repitier host and the temperature curve shows that the output to the extruder is maxed out but yet it will not get above 180. It heats up to 210 before i start printing but as soon as the print starts it drops twenty to thirty degrees. My best guess is that it is a firmware issue, but everything I find online for updating firmware is only for the solidoodle 2 or 3. Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to fix this problem or have somewhere that I can download firmware for the workbench?

Re: max temp/ firmware issues on workbench

Highly unlikely that this is a firmware related issue.  My first guess would be a poor connection within the heat cartridge connector at the board.  The wires are simply pushed into little v slots inside that connector.  This arrangement promotes low amperage capacity and therefore that power doesn't get to the heater itself.  This also means that heat can be created right inside that connector and you may even see some burning of the connector itself.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

That's what I had thought as well. I checked that connection but it wasn't the issue.

On the manual control screen of RH, is the temp actually getting lowered on the temp slider as the print starts?

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

No all the settings show that it should be at 210.

Then the issue is that the power isn't making it to the hot end.  Could be a bad wire or even a poor connection of the PSU to the board at the barrel connector.  It's simple, if you were to put 12v on the wires to the heater wires and it gets to temp.  Then somewhere there has to be something Limiting the amount of current.  I have seen wires break inside the insulation and cause issues similar.  It could even be a PSU issue and to test this, try without running the bed heater just to see if the hot end will maintain temp.

What I am currently doing is running the extruder at 210 with the bed off. The extruder gets to temp easy enough but as soon as I start printing it simply drops down to 180.

So as soon as things start to move your seeing the temp drop but the output graph shows 100% output?  Sounds like a bad wire or bad connection to me.

is there a reason that the bad connection would have just popped up now after working for months?

All those wires move around a lot and SD isn't exactly known for using the best quality wires and on the Workbench they have at least one solder joint to extend the length.  Have you changed anything else in regards to software updates lately?

Which begs the question, does the other hotend do the same thing?

the other hot end broke off... it just snapped in half because a bit of filament got jammed in it and pushed the bottom half of it off. I have not made any other software changes so i am looking for connection issues now

And what did you do with the thermistor for the other hot end?  The firmware is busy trying to read that.  You don't need the other extruder but you do at least want that thermistor connected to the board.

That thermistor is just reading the ambient temperature of the room. It had issues when I disconnected it so i left it connected to the board and just routed it so that it is out of the way

Perfect, can you try using the wires from the broken hotend for the good hot end?

I just tried that with no luck. when it cools I will take off the insulating tape off and check if it is a connection to the hot end. If it isnt that then it has to be a connection before it leaves the board.

Good luck, I'm headed to bed.  I'll check in tomorrow to see what you've found.

It was a connection problem. I switched out the hot end from the broken extruder with the working one and it printed just fine. Thank you for all the help. No chance you know where to buy replacement hot ends so that I can get both up and running again?

you would be better off upgrading to different hotends such as the E3D's - much more reliable.

I do not have any experience with the Workbench itself, but I do have 2 Solidoodle 4's with E3D v6 hotends on them, and they are fantastic.
I also have an E3D lite6 on my Folgertech Kossel that works very well.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

http://www.printitindustries.com/I have an E3d on my workbench and wouldn't use anything but.  I have designed a single extruder carriage for the workbench/v6 combo if you'd like the files just let me know.
You can buy the E3d here http://www.printitindustries.com/
Switching to this will require a firmware upgrade which I can also help you with.

So after more testing this morning I noticed that it holds temperature longer than before but it is still dropping after about two layers. Since I have changed out the components for everything from the board up it has to be an issue before it leaves the board. Now I am truly lost.

Or an issue before it enters the board.

if that is the case, which it probably is, how do i find/ fix it? I don't have a lot of experience with electrical systems

I would start right at the barrel connection as it enters the board.  The case of the printer interferes with it some and may be creating a weak connection.  Think of it as a garden hose and the volume is equal to current.  If you pinch the hose you don't get the volume (current) needed.  Any connection that reduces the effective size of the wire can do the same thing.  That barrel connector can have very limited points of contact.  You could also be dealing with a failing PSU and if that's the case you can grab a new one.   http://www.printitindustries.com/collec … wer-supply

is there any way that i can test if it is the power supply without buying a new one? i do not think that it is any of the wires because they are all in good shape