Topic: Upgrading Firmware Help

I followed all of the instructions and upgraded the firmware using Arduino, but the instructions say i should have a file named "Marlin.cpp.hex" or "Marlin.ino.hex" and i have neither of those. However, i do have a file called "Marlin.pde.hex". Is that the same thing?

2 (edited by AZERATE 2016-04-17 20:32:47)

Re: Upgrading Firmware Help

That is not the same, no.

22.    There has been a .hex file created. Marlin.cpp.hex, in my case (windows 7) it is under C:/users/whateverYourProfileNameIs/AppData/Local/Temp….it will be in the folder
named build-xxxxxxxxx.tmp (the x’s are a string of numbers) created today. You must have view hidden or system files enabled in folder options (control panel. Have view folders by icon instead of category enabled, folder options,view, check Show hidden files and folders)

Is it possible you missed the end of this step?

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

AZERATE wrote:

That is not the same, no.

22.    There has been a .hex file created. Marlin.cpp.hex, in my case (windows 7) it is under C:/users/whateverYourProfileNameIs/AppData/Local/Temp….it will be in the folder
named build-xxxxxxxxx.tmp (the x’s are a string of numbers) created today. You must have view hidden or system files enabled in folder options (control panel. Have view folders by icon instead of category enabled, folder options,view, check Show hidden files and folders)

Is it possible you missed the end of this step?

Nope i had those checked.

Sorry AZERATE,
Depending on the version of Arduino, that file (if the created date is current) then that is the file you need.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Okay well i found Marlin.ino.hex file. I guess it was never created (oops). I put it in the bootloaderHID folder and typed the command but it says "this is not an internal or external command". However, i downloaded the folder from a different website because the website the link gave me wasnt working. Perhaps that's the problem?

What link or website wasn't working?
That error typically means the file hasn't been moved to the proper location or you have a typo.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

The link for BootloaderHID on the website for updating the firmware

I'm looking into that link now.

I haven't used these instructions but see no reason they wouldn't work.
http://blog.lincomatic.com/?p=502
Scroll down to the very bottom update

wardjr wrote:

I'm looking into that link now.

This is the website for the link:

http://www.soliwiki.com/Updating_Solido … structions

This is the link:

http://blog.lincomatic.com/wp-content/u

Nothing loads for me. I've tried my phone and two computers, yet nothing loads.

Try the link I just posted above

https://github.com/lincomatic/arduino-1 … t90usb1286

use that link - click on "Download Zip", then extract the contents.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Okay i downloaded the zip. Now where do i place the .ino file? Do i put it in C:\Users\JC\Desktop\arduino-1.0.5-r2-at90usb1286-master and then run the command?

The ino file needs to stay where it is when unpacked, that is what tells Arduino what to load for the sketch. You need to run the command line but alter it to point to the ino file.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:

The ino file needs to stay where it is when unpacked, that is what tells Arduino what to load for the sketch. You need to run the command line but alter it to point to the ino file.

huh...so then why are the instructions telling me to place the ino file into BootloaderHID folder...im so confused

jrcyscon wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

huh...so then why are the instructions telling me to place the ino file into BootloaderHID folder...im so confused

Follow the instructions then, maybe your flash softwate is different. There are a few vesrsions depending on the original bootloader installed on the boatd.

I am following the instructions as carefully as i can. The part that confuses me is this part:

28. Within the CMD window, navigate to the folder you unzipped the BootleaderHID to in step 23
29. Type “hid_bootloader_cli -mmcu=at90usb1286 -w -v Marlin.cpp.hex” (no quotations)

I dont even have a BootloaderHID zip because that URL doesnt work (http://blog.lincomatic.com/wp-content/) and the ones the other users gave me dont have a BootloaderHID zip anywhere.

Do you know what version bootloader is in your board? It should be listed on the label on the chip as well as the original firmware version. There are if I recall three different bootloaders for that board and the flash process is different for each.

carl_m1968 wrote:

Do you know what version bootloader is in your board? It should be listed on the label on the chip as well as the original firmware version. There are if I recall three different bootloaders for that board and the flash process is different for each.

Is it somewhere on here? Or the back?

Post's attachments

20160418_223803.jpg 3.56 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

I have flashed many  Printrboard's using those instructions, it's never easy.  You need to find bootloaderHID folder for the instructions in the WIKI.  But the link that heartless posted https://github.com/lincomatic/arduino-1 … t90usb1286
Looks as though you can simply use arduino to upload the firmware using the upload button in Arduino.  If that's the case I will be more than happy to update the WIKI with a much simpler process.  Having not used that process I can't verify if that's how it works.  I will assume it does and give the quick and dirty way to flash a board. 
Once that is downloaded simply open the Marlin.ino and click on the configuration.h tab then make your thermistor and MAX TEMP  changes along with entering the proper board number.  You then select the proper board and Com port along with Tools->Board->[BootloaderCDC]Printrboard. 
Then click verify
Then Save
Then Upload
You may need to jump the boot pins just before clicking upload but there is no reason to keep the jumper in place. 
Again I don't know if this actually works.
If you can't get it, reach out on chat and I can step you through the process.

I decided to use Heartless method and i got my cpp.hex file. Whats the next step?