1 (edited by pirvan 2016-04-13 03:05:44)

Topic: Atlas 3D mods for multi-angle scans

For the longest time I've been thinking of doing a mod where I can scan an object from multiple angles easier and more accurately than I'm currently doing.

The first idea I had was to put the turntable on some kind of gimbals that would allow me to tilt the model at any angle toward the camera, while still maintain the center focus.  The problem was the logistics being the model clamping method while still providing a way to rotate the entire contraption on its axis.  While it can be done, I  realized that there's actually a simpler solution...

...move the camera.  Moving the camera on a vertical arc who's radius doesn't change, would allow it to always point to the center of the table.  So the only requirement is that I make the camera and lasers modular from the rest of the scanner.

Here is a quick view of what I have in mind.  The rail radius is wrong  at the moment (half of what it should be), but you get the idea of what I'm trying to do.  The plan is to allow 45° of vertical movement.

At the same time I wanted to mod the laser holders to allow for easier and finer adjustments, and the rack and pinion gimmick will allow me to change the spread between the lasers.

The only thing I haven't thought through yet, is the connection between the camera and the Pi.  I will obviously need a longer Flex PCB, so I'll have to source that, or alternately come up with a wiring harness.  Perhaps Uriah can suggest a source for a longer PCB.

I'll post more photos as the project moves along.  At the moment it's all in the design phase.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9813

Post's attachments

Atlas Mod 001.jpg 123.18 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

Re: Atlas 3D mods for multi-angle scans

Here is a more accurate version.  The dimensions are now correct, and the laser and camera housings have been accurately sized for the correct laser and the RaspiCam.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9816

Post's attachments

Atlas Mod 002.jpg 289.15 kb, 2 downloads since 2016-04-13 

seems like lots of work that way. I remember on Jay Lenos garage web site  long ago when I 1st saw 3D printing and scanning. he had a mount on his scanner that held object being scanned between 2 adjustable points fixed to a gimble so object was suspended mid air at an angle as it rotated giving full spherical view in 1 scan and such a setup could be sat on turntable without all the mods to other components of scanner. it was part of the high cost scanner he used wish I had a picture but maybe a youtube search for lenos garage 3d printer episode would find it. a 2nd scan with object repositioned may be needed to get 100% of details where mount blocked view a tiny bit.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Interesting idea.

n2ri wrote:

seems like lots of work that way.

Let's just say I'm a big Rube Goldberg fan.

Perhaps Uriah can suggest a source for a longer [camera cable].

Adafruit has a selection of exended length CSI cables for the Raspberry Pi camera board.

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1731
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1648

thank you.   smile

8 (edited by pirvan 2016-04-14 04:11:02)

Here's another view, this time, with an outline of the rest of the Atlas body.  It makes it easier to visualize the design.

The camera/laser assembly shown at -15°, 0° & 30°.  The maximum upper (positive) travel is 45°.

Next up, I have to work out how to mount the rails to the scanner body.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9820

Post's attachments

Atlas Mod 003.jpg
Atlas Mod 003.jpg 98.6 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

you would still have to flip model and scan again to get bottom unless just leave bottom flat/hollow

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

10 (edited by n2ri 2016-04-14 06:13:10)

found a pic of Lenos scanner https://www.google.com/search?q=3d+lase … d8sEhNM%3A

it was a Next Engine 3D Scanner HD. have seen others with similar way of holding model

11 (edited by hairu526 2016-04-14 10:47:22)

pirvan,

One issue you may run into is that the Pi only supports a single CSI camera.  You would either need to use multiple networked Pi's, a camera multiplexer, or somehow utilize the Pi compute module (which supports 2).

You could also use USB cameras.

- Uriah

Seemed to me like he was only going to use one camera that would be moved along the rails to capture pictures from multiple angles doing a scan with the camera at each different location on the arc.  But I could be wrong.

pirvan,
     Do you plan on making the files available once you get it perfected?  Looking good!

Bob

bobswika wrote:

Seemed to me like he was only going to use one camera that would be moved along the rails to capture pictures from multiple angles doing a scan with the camera at each different location on the arc.  But I could be wrong.

pirvan,
     Do you plan on making the files available once you get it perfected?  Looking good!

Bob

That's correct.  Just one camera being moved into various places along the rails, doing multiple scans, then combining the point cloud like I did on some of the scans I posted.

As for releasing the files, let's first see how far along I get with it.  Right now it's still to early.

A question for Uriah:

Does it matter what the distance is from the camera to the center of the turntable?  If I put the camera closer, (let's say 9.25" instead of 10.5", and the accounted for this in the setup, would it create any problems.

Right now, when I put the camera assembly at 10.5" from the center of the turntable (as it was originally), the rails pass through the camera tower case.  Since there's nothing in there are but wires, I can always redesign the case to suit, but If I were to release this for others to do the mod, they might be reluctant to make the change.

Here is what I have in mind:

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9821

Post's attachments

Atlas Mod 004.jpg
Atlas Mod 004.jpg 98.95 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

15 (edited by n2ri 2016-04-14 15:46:06)

main issue would be refocusing the camera since macro is critical of fractions of an inch when under 18" the line lasers get finer at close range so thats not an issue. I know its odd since lasers are supposed to remain the same for long distances but these cheap ones dont have the optics for it. even cheap laser thermometers say same thing, their conical pin point opens to near 3' dia at over 20 feet distance making accurate temp more of an average.

My apologies to the OP for being off topic.

@n2ri
I have several IR Thermometers, each uses a laser as a guide to point it in the proper location. Those have a conical focus as you describe above.  But that is due to the fact that the laser isn't what actually reads the temperature.  I have never seen a laser thermometer, do you have a picture or a link of one?

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

17 (edited by n2ri 2016-04-15 04:15:45)

wardjr wrote:

My apologies to the OP for being off topic.

@n2ri
I have several IR Thermometers, each uses a laser as a guide to point it in the proper location. Those have a conical focus as you describe above.  But that is due to the fact that the laser isn't what actually reads the temperature.  I have never seen a laser thermometer, do you have a picture or a link of one?

well thats what they call them. and the line lasers all say how much the lines widen depending on how far they are away from laser. these cheap ones double width every foot about

n2ri wrote:

well thats what they call them. and the line lasers all say how much the lines widen depending on how far they are away from laser. these cheap ones double width every foot about

Not exactly, most inexpensive red lasers have an beam divergence of about 2 mRads.  Assuming you have a 2mm aperture, the beam/dot size at 20 feet is about 14mm.

BTW.  I know what you meant when you said it doubles every foot or so, but you expressed it wrong.  If it doubled in size every foot as you say, a 2mm dot would be 4mm, 8mm, 16mm, 32mm, 64mm, and so on every foot.  At 20 foot distance, would be 2^20=1048576 mm, or more than 1 kilometer in diameter.

pirvan wrote:

Does it matter what the distance is from the camera to the center of the turntable?  If I put the camera closer, (let's say 9.25" instead of 10.5", and the accounted for this in the setup, would it create any problems.

I wouldn't matter if it was closer, you would just need to update the camera z value on the Setup page.  However, it would matter that the camera is rotating as it is raised.  The camera z distance isn't the distance from the camera to the origin point but is instead the distance from the camera to a ray that goes vertically from the origin.  Another way to think about it is that it's simply the z component of the camera's x,y,z location (since it's always at x=0).  The software currently assumes that the camera is looking straight down the Z direction which wouldn't be the case if it was rotating as it was raised.  However, this is something that I can change if needed.

- Uriah

Saw this whilst surfing on the interweb, and maybe another way to achieve what you are after by having another camera / lasers mounted and just switching between cameras using this interface.

http://www.ivmech.com/magaza/en/develop … exer-p-104

Lasers would be easy with a pole switch between them, and I'm sure the software could be easily tweaked as required.

Maybe an easier solution all round - toying with the idea of getting one as not too dear.