1 (edited by jagowilson 2016-04-10 20:07:00)

Topic: Repetier-Firmware

Anyone using this on their Solidoodle? Just switched to it the other day, figured it should have a thread here. With Solidoodle closing their doors, I figured it's time to ditch any last dependence on their modified version of Marlin.

Nothing much to report yet. One big advantage I see of Repetier-Firmware over Marlin is the communications protocol over USB uses a binary format (see: https://github.com/repetier/Repetier-Fi … ocol.txt), which allows many more commands to be sent at once and queued compared to the traditional ASCII communication used by Marlin, which quickly fills the RX/TX buffer on the board.

I've provided a Configuration.h here for Solidoodle users. It assumes a Printrboard Rev E, but this is easily changed. I highly recommend using the Repetier-Firmware configurator at:
http://www.repetier.com/firmware/v092/

Upload this Configuration.h and modify the settings as you need. These are a base set of settings. I'll enumerate some of them here:

Settings below are valid for Solidoodle 3 and 4
Resolution
Assumption: 1.8 degree steppers running at 1/16 microstepping
X: 88 steps per mm
Y: 88 steps per mm
Z: 2268 steps per mm
E: 108 steps per mm (assuming stock drive gear)

Endstops
X, Y min are disabled
Z max is disabled
X, Y max and Z min are enabled and assumed to be NC (Normally Closed)
X, Y home towards max, Z homes toward min

PID for stock heatbed
Kp: 313.37
Ki: 77.90
Kd: 315.13
I don't have a stock hotend, so I cannot provide the PID values.

Dimensions
X,Y,Z min: 0
X,Y,Z max: 255

More to come. At the moment I'm having some difficulty getting stable PID despite tuning, so I'm going to look into that and I'll post a solution when I have one. I suspect it is due to the minimum allowed PWM being 80 rather than 0, but will find out soon enough.

Some minor details that are different from Marlin
To PID autotune the bed, you must run:
M303 P3 S{temp} C{cycles}
where {temp} is the desired temperature of the bed and {cycles} is cycle count (I typically use 8). P3 indicates bed. Using E-1 here will not work as it does in Marlin. Source: https://github.com/repetier/Repetier-Fi … issues/415

Post's attachments

Configuration.h 31.55 kb, 13 downloads since 2016-04-10 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

2 (edited by jagowilson 2016-04-12 23:00:23)

Re: Repetier-Firmware

So just following up on this, I seem to be having much better luck with the PID than before after just tuning for a few more cycles. Overall everything seems stable, so I thought I would provide two things: PID values and an export of my EEPROM settings for anyone who wants to make the switch from Marlin to Repetier-Firmware.

PID settings for stock Solidoodle 3/4 heatbed @ 105c with glass
Kp: 279.79
Ki: 49.43
Kd: 395.94

PID settings for E3D v6 @ 235c with heatsink fan running
Kp: 9.17
Ki: 0.63
Kd: 33.29

A variety of other EEPROM settings are attached. One thing to note is my X axis is running at 1/32, so drop it down to 88. Also, I backed down the acceleration and jerk settings in this EEPROM output to make them more friendly to a stock setup.

Post's attachments

repetierSD4withE3DV6StockBed.epr 3.88 kb, 6 downloads since 2016-04-12 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

thank you... i try to find a reason to update the control of my S4...now i just need to find the easiest method to  flash my printrboard..

Jago are you still running with this?

SD4 - Soon to be a frankenstein