Topic: Atlas 3D kit enclosure mods

Having been playing with my scanner for a while and trying to get the best out of it, I have come up with a few mods which I feel may be of interest to others.

I have changed the supplied lasers to focusable ones which imo has helped with the scans due to the finer lines achievable, and also connected turnbuckles with ball links/linkage balls as used on RC helicopters to position the laser more accurately (the turnbuckles have opposite threads each end and therefore move the arm in or out as required). This stops any movement caused when trying to tighten up the positioning bolts as the turnbuckle maintains the required position.

In addition, I have printed side supports for the camera mounting board together with braces front and rear which keeps the camera board rigid and has stopped the slight flexing I was getting originally.

http://soliforum.com/i/?TtbLJPr.jpg

Should anyone wish to make copies, I can provide the STL files.

Andy

Re: Atlas 3D kit enclosure mods

I like it.  I have been trying to think of a solid way to make precise adjustments to the lasers.  I have lots of turnbuckles from my RC helicopters unfortunately I have the printed enclosure.  I would like the STL files so I can adapt your method to my scanner.  Thanks,

Bob

3 (edited by n2ri 2016-04-06 18:31:30)

where did you buy the lasers with focus? and do they just replace originals with no mods needed?

I have the printed enclosure also but finer laser lines is all I need

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Any chance of a picture of the camera mounting board?

n2ri wrote:

where did you buy the lasers with focus? and do they just replace originals with no mods needed?

I have the printed enclosure also but finer laser lines is all I need

I purchased them off that well known auction site ( item number: 111609050407) - 650nm 5mw Red Laser line Module HLM1230 IIIa adjustable focus.

I got mine from a UK supplier, but I'm sure you can get them in the States or from HK etc.

You will have to make new Laser Holders as they are 12mm in diameter as opposed to 9mm with the supplied units.

Andy

oliver wrote:

Any chance of a picture of the camera mounting board?

I may not have explained myself fully oliver; they are the green items either side of the main panel which supports the camera board and lasers.
You can see the braces either side of the upright panel, together with the front brace in my previous picture.

I have now added a side view so you can see how it attaches to a bottom bolt, slips over the edge of the upright panel with stops which prevent it moving from a right angle with the main platform. Two braces front and rear keep it in position.

http://soliforum.com/i/?DbH2duT.jpg

Andy

bobswika wrote:

I like it.  I have been trying to think of a solid way to make precise adjustments to the lasers.  I have lots of turnbuckles from my RC helicopters unfortunately I have the printed enclosure.  I would like the STL files so I can adapt your method to my scanner.  Thanks,

Bob

Bob, I tried to email you but don't know if it got through!

I have attached a RAR file which contains the STL files and also 123D files so you can tinker with them if you want.

Andy

Post's attachments

Brace Files.rar 484.72 kb, 19 downloads since 2016-04-06 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

I didn't see the email, but I will get the files from here when I get to my home computer. Thanks a lot.

Bob

OK anybody here good at resizing STL files that could make the enclosure kit right and left laser mounts fit the 12mm Dia Barrel?

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

how do they do compared to the others?

11 (edited by bobswika 2016-04-07 12:03:25)

I downloaded 123D to see if I can modify the laser holders to the 9mm stock laser size.  I didn't see the STL files for the laser holders in the rar file.  Did I miss them or are they left out?  Thanks,

Bob

bobswika wrote:

I downloaded 123D to see if I can modify the laser holders to the 9mm stock laser size.  I didn't see the STL files for the laser holders in the rar file.  Did I miss them or are they left out?  Thanks,

Bob

Sorry Bob, missed them out whilst I was adding files to the RAR package sad

Here they are!

Post's attachments

Laser Holder.rar 49.23 kb, 15 downloads since 2016-04-07 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thanks. I'm pretty good using Blender to modify STL files so that will be easier for me to adjust them to 9mm. Much appreciated.

Bob

bobswika wrote:

Thanks. I'm pretty good using Blender to modify STL files so that will be easier for me to adjust them to 9mm. Much appreciated.

Bob

you mean from 9mm to 12mm

No they are 12mm in the files. I want to use the mounts with the standard 9mm lasers that come with the kit for now.

oh, thought you said you have the printed enclosure like me? the parts for the acrylic enclosure are different from the printed version. I thought you where remaking the STL files to use the larger adjustable lasers on the Printed version.

I do have the printed enclosure, but it looks to me like the laser holders can be adapted for use on our printed enclosures with the stock lasers.  I would like to someday also upgrade the lasers but time is limited and lately the printer has been taking up most of it.

Like yourself, I have experienced frustration with minor movements of the structure over time and temperature, and sometimes just as a result of moving the cables from the Rpi.  Have not gone as far as you over the mods at this stage, but I have printed a crossbar which stiffens up across the laser arms, just below the camera position.  As a bonus, it carries an LED light strip for frontal illumination of the object.  Next step will be to support the camera from this bar in order to better link camera to laser position.

Have been thinking about adding diagonal bars from each arm down to the stepper housing sides to create a fixed, triangular support which effectively links the turntable centre to the laser positions.  Like the idea of using turnbuckles for adjustment, maybe this could be extended to the camera as well?

Reprap Prusa x1 ,  Reprap G frame Prusa x1,  OpenBuilds OX CNC x1, FreeLss/Ciclops 3D scanner x1

Hi navzptc
Need to replace my laser holders. The link to your braces file works fine but the link to the laser holders seems to be not correct. May I ask you to send me the laser holder file to my e-mail: [email protected]
Thank you so much. Kind regards Walter