Topic: scans are bad with both lasers

When I take a scan with either laser, the scans come out good. However, there are some objects I need to scan with both lasers, because the camera cant pick up some of the data points due to the objects shape. When i use both lasers though, I get two scans of the object, slight skewed from each other. The settings are in the defualt mode and the laser cross the center of the turn table, so I believe my calibration is correct. Has anyone else had this issue? Suggestions to fix?

Re: scans are bad with both lasers

Just because the lasers cross each other in the middle of the turntable, it doesn't mean they're calibrated. 

There are quite a few variables at play.  The laser lines must be perfectly vertical , the camera must be vertical (no tilt), the elevation of the horizontal cross-hair in the camera view must align correctly with the calibration tool, the vertical cross-hair and the and the lasers must line up with the vertical line in the calibration tool, etc.

Do a search on this forum for calibration and you'll get more detailed information on how to do The problem you describe is exactly as expected out of misaligned lasers and camera, as well as possible incorrect input values in the setup page.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

Pirvan

since this has been brought up, I have had a question since assembling mine about if the camera mount where it slips into slot on bracket is sanded smooth just a tiny bit off center (so that camera may be biased like 1mm closer to 1 laser than the other) or laser mounts maybe a hair farther to one side. using the self Printed Scanner enclosure could any issues like this be the result as well? if so I may have to print a new camera case and make it fit more centered. I just wondered about the variables after seeing all the settings for this. but when I measured and set all those settings exactly as they are on mine, it seemed to just offset camera center view in calculations and caused odd scan results so I set them back to default. has anyone delt with this b4?

just wondering if this may be why I get tiny spikes on my models surface in scans since I too use both lasers to capture tiny details on my tiny models. making double images/reflections that look like spikes close up.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

If I understand your question correctly, you're asking if the camera is slightly off center would it cause problems.

First, if the camera is off-center with respect to the turn table (and centerline of the scanner), it's no big deal, simply turn it slightly to point it back to the center of the turntable. 

If the camera is offset slightly, and is no longer in the middle of the 2 lasers, all you need to do is measure the distance of each laser from the center of the camera and input that number into the setup page in the right and left "Laser X" box.  Don't forget to use a negative number for the left laser value.

Because of variance in prints and builds, the odds that the camera is perfectly centered between the 2 lasers are pretty small.  That is why you can enter separate values for right and left.

AS for the issues you're seeing in your scans, I have no idea.  It could be anything.  You didn't post any photos of this so I don't know what they are.  They're probably reflections and noise.

It tried scanning small cars and such (like hot wheels), and frankly they weren't very good scans, more like meh.

yeah thats what I have been trying too and I think the small amount camera is off is not enough to matter. I just got my 20"x20" collapsible photo tent cube (I posted link for in the other topic, very nice for price) so I am going to start testing how to best eliminate all reflections now. wish me luck, I will post new topic when I find solution and best lighting for it.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

So I measured the length from the camera lens to the center of the laser, and the distance was about 5.25 inches which is different than the 4.95 that is originally there when you first download. I do believe that is the problem with why my scans show two images of an object when I use both lasers for a scan.

However when I try to change the values in the setup page to 5.25 and -5.25 and click save, it gives me an "ERROR invalid laser pin settings." When I go back to the setup page the values are still changed however I don't think the system is applying these changes because there is no difference in the scans compared to before the value was changed. Why are we getting this error and how can we fix it

That I don't know.  I've never had these errors.  Perhaps Uriah can respond to this.

FWIW, my left & right lasers are @ 5.25" as well.