1 (edited by navzptc 2016-03-24 02:53:22)

Topic: Update FreeLSS problems on new Pi 3 build

I have just received my Atlas Scanner kit, and it is all built and running well using the supplied Pi 2 board.

I wanted to use a Pi 3 board which I have, but the supplied SD card just would not run on the Pi 3 so I have built the latest Raspbian onto another SD card and installed FreeLSS from GitHub which does work on the Pi 3.

However, even though I have entered my registration number into the program and it states updates are available, they do not get installed.
I can see what looks like update files in '/updates/freelss-1-14' directory, but they don't seem to be able to update the program which seems to be in '/home/pi/freelss.

Any help on getting these updates to work much appreciated.

Andy

Re: Update FreeLSS problems on new Pi 3 build

/home/pi/freelss is a user directory and is where you probably have the Github source.  The updates will install at the system level to /usr/local/bin/freelss and the configuration will live under /var/lib/freelss

I recommend running the following command from /home/pi/freelss/src

make startup

And then doing the update afterwards.  You should have the latest version starting up automatically when the Pi boots then.

If you don't want it to startup automatically then you can just run the following command now.

sudo /usr/local/bin/freelss

- Uriah

Uriah,

Many thanks for your reply.

I downloaded the image available from Murobo onto a new SD card (Don't want to break the one I received) and it still does not boot up on the Pi 3 - Believe it could be due to memory chips/configuration on Pi 3 so hence I tried the complete new build.

I have tried it using the make startup command, and whilst it starts automatically it still would not save the update sad

Looks like I have tried too many updates as well, as the program now will not let me update any more!

I have sent an email to Murobo to ask if they have any ideas and to hopefully reset my update count.

It works well on the Freelss ver 1.11, and would be great to get the latest version fully working on the Pi 3, otherwise back to the Pi 2 sad

Regards,

Andy

Have tried a scan on the Pi 3 using Freelss ver. 1.11 and very impressed, bearing this is on default settings with basic tweaks and only took 16+ minutes to complete - 2 lasers, 800 frames and 5mp still mode.

Going to enjoy playing with this especially if I can get latest version running on the Pi 3 smile

Post's attachments

Capture 1.JPG 16.74 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Capture 3.JPG
Capture 3.JPG 45.09 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

After trying various options using an image of my original SD card to get it to run on my Pi 3 (update to latest Raspbian etc), I have now accepted defeat.

Using my new Raspbian install and Freelss download I have now got Freelss 1.14 running on my Pi 3 by transferring the update file to the relevant file area as advised by Uriah using Paragon ExtFS on my Windows machine.

Whilst not perfect in that I will have to do this each time an update comes out, at least I have it running on the Pi 3 smile

Well the good news is not only has a new version of Freelss been released, but it upgraded with no problems at all on my Pi 3 setup smile

Happy Bunny all round with the Atlas 3D scanner design and firmware updates - Going to recommend to all my fellow 3D printer friends.

Glad to hear it!

- Uriah

Hi Navzptc, Uriah,
  I have a spare Raspberry Pi 3 that was going to be used for Retropie, but now want to use this in my scanner and the old Pi for gaming.

Are you able to provide any details on getting Atlas to work on the Pi 3?  I have the proper kit rather than the freelss

Thanks in advance

oliver wrote:

Hi Navzptc, Uriah,
  I have a spare Raspberry Pi 3 that was going to be used for Retropie, but now want to use this in my scanner and the old Pi for gaming.

Are you able to provide any details on getting Atlas to work on the Pi 3?  I have the proper kit rather than the freelss

Thanks in advance

All I did was to load the latest Raspbian image onto a new SD card followed by downloading FreeLss from GitHub following the provided instructions - I set mine to start automatically when the unit is switched on.

Once you get the program fired up, just enter your serial number and download the latest version - 1.15.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Thanks, will give that a go