1 (edited by Wavesurf 2013-02-23 20:00:47)

Topic: Panelolu 2 Upgrade?

The 2nd release of the Panelolu is coming with I2C to free up some pins.  This would be great if I hadn't already purchased the first edition.  Tony at Think3dPrint3d (http://blog.think3dprint3d.com/) is not currently working on a transitional breakout board that would upgrade my existing Panelolu and give me access to the extra pins so I tried using his design on perfboard to create one.  The result is in the attached image.  I have it working with no change to existing Panelolu Wiring. (see Attach#2).  Everything but the encoder direction is working, I need to add more spaghetti.

The Marlin firmware modification is published (https://github.com/T3P3/Marlin); and I needed the library from Lincomatic (https://github.com/lincomatic/LiquidTWI2)

The Panelolu 2 consists of an adapter board to connect to the 3d Printer Controller board (and provide the ability to add 2 FETs for fans, etc.), a circuit board with all the functional components (Encoder, Contrast, Brightness, Reset, LEDs and SD card reader), and a LCD.   There is no upgrade path.

This probably should go in Hacks/Mods but I started off to introduce the Panelolu 2 and see if there was much support for creating a breakout board.  Tony wasn't going to make one unless there was some demand.

Post's attachments

IMG_20130223_131342.jpg
IMG_20130223_131342.jpg 750.94 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_20130223_144318.jpg
IMG_20130223_144318.jpg 919 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

2 (edited by pastprimitive 2013-04-13 01:39:55)

Re: Panelolu 2 Upgrade?

So I am working on the same upgrade to my solidoodle 3. I thought I had bought the panelolu, but purchased teh 2 instead.  Oh well. Anyhow now I am having a heck of a time modifying the firmware.  My approach was to take the T3P3 fork of marlin, and compare to the official solidoodle 3 release and make changes to the T3P3 version to suit the specs of the solidoodle.  Anyhow when I tried to upload.  I got this error:

"In file included from ultralcd.cpp:28:
/ultralcd_implementation_panelolu2.h: In function 'void lcd_implementation_quick_feedback()':
ultralcd_implementation_panelolu2.h:498: error: 'class LiquidTWI2' has no member named 'buzz'"

Anyhow, any ideas?  Or have you put together a working firmware copy yet? Love it if you'd share:)

Oh also did they not have a sanguino adapter board when you purchased?  Mine came with one, or is that no good for the solidoodle 3?

Thanks

did anybody have any luck with a firmware update?

I've created a firmware update that I put togeather for mine. I can post the file in the morning if you'd like. I'm definitely not a programmer by any means, but I know enough to get around. As far as I am aware there is no official firmware release for the solidoodle three that will support panelolu 2. Hence why I made my own. Anyways I've been using it for a few months with no problems... So anyhow let me know.

that would be fantastic!!! your a credit to the forum big_smile

Just download marlin from github.  It now has support for i2c panels.

7 (edited by pastprimitive 2013-08-14 18:56:13)

@cain666 sorry this took so long for me to get up.  Here it is. You may want to go in and change some of the variables in the language file. I customized them so it would read "SD3     PAST PRIMITIVE" on the bottom line of the LCD instead of marlin, or whatever else they had in  there.  Past Primitive is my company, so I am partial towards plastering my logo on everything i own;)

This is for the SD3 so if you have a SD2 you'll need to make some more mod's. let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

Post's attachments

(PastPrimitive).zip 175.61 kb, 14 downloads since 2013-08-14 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thank you.  Between you upload and a prepackaged version of the programing package I was able to get my Panelolu2 working.  I started fixing the parts of the menu that really bugged me, but there are a couple of things I still want to change.  If you want to change things in the menu you have to change the language.h for any thing that uses a message function and the rest seams to reside in ultralcd.cpp.

Chris F