Topic: What's the best <$5k FDM printer today?

I like the specs on the Ultimaker for $3k (8x8x12 I think build area, Bowden). They emphasis their reliability. Highly rated.

But, what's your dream FDM machine?

Robox printer, HICTOP (Prusa i3 variant) Model 3DP17 printer, ELEK 2.5W laser engraver, AutoDesk 123D Design, Windows 10

Re: What's the best <$5k FDM printer today?

My first printer was a Solidoodle 2, but I just bought a MakerGear M2. Awesome printer! Less than $2000.

I've heard nothing but good from these guys:

http://www.fusion3design.com

i want the makerbot replicator z18 because it has a pretty big build volume.

TheNeck wrote:

have you actually read reviews on it? you don't want it, from all the negatives I've heard. how much build volume do you need? that'll help with suggesting alternatives.

jagowilson wrote:
TheNeck wrote:

have you actually read reviews on it? you don't want it, from all the negatives I've heard. how much build volume do you need? that'll help with suggesting alternatives.

yeah i read the reviews of it, but i need to use one for myself.

i have the makerbot replicator mini, and it had horrible reviews, but i have one myself and it's a great little machine.

I agree with jagowilson. There is a reason there is a class action lawsuit against MB/Strat. But not because of reviews alone.
The design of the "smart" extruder was doomed to fail. If someone had a fully functioning unit and has benefited from the hype, more power to them!! I considered buying one myself, but I didn't like where MB was going.

If you need height, do yourself a favor and get a Delta of some variety. You can maximize the height to your craziest needs with a little modification, and are open to other mods like upgraded heatbeds, hotends, and motors

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

MakerBot has lost the heart and soul of the 3d Community, esp the open source folks. You can't piss off that many people and thrive when there are so many good competitors around fighting for the business.

Robox printer, HICTOP (Prusa i3 variant) Model 3DP17 printer, ELEK 2.5W laser engraver, AutoDesk 123D Design, Windows 10

Microcenter stores do demos of 3D printers they sell and MB and clones are among them. hands on demo is like test driving a car b4 buying. great idea!

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Roger that. Will they let you take it around the block and out on the highway?

11 (edited by pirvan 2016-02-26 17:52:59)

Online reviews and hearsay only goes so far, a starting point.  Downloading the manuals (if available) helps.  Browsing forums as a starting point to make a purchasing decision may not be a good thing, unless you're willing to read all the posts.  Let's face it, most people come to a forum when they run into trouble, so to a newbie, just reading the post headers, it would look like a nightmare, and never buy the machine in the first place.

So for me, I generally have to see the unit (and it's output) in person before I can make a decision if it's worth my hard earned money. 

Every year I go to the Bay Area Maker Faire, where I get a chance to see some of these things live, and in person.  For me, the best output I saw straight out of the printer, was the Ultimaker 2.  The unit is also extremely compact and at least at first glance very well built.

I haven't yet started to look at multi-head models, other than building one from scratch, but for a single head model, I can't think of anything better than the Ultimaker 2 or 2+.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

12 (edited by Heartlander 2016-02-27 01:03:38)

"Robox features a proprietary dual-nozzle extruder which improves build speed by using a .3 mm nozzle for finely detailed surface work and a .8 mm nozzle for fast in-fill (up to 300% faster than typical build times). The nozzle valve system created by CEL cuts off filament completely, eliminating ooze and contributing to a much smoother surface finish - meaning less time spent on finishing work."

"The HeadLock system is a tool-less locking system with plenty of scope for high powered and complex additions to the rigid 3 axis frame. We are developing a range of optional modules which connect to this system.
Future modules could turn Robox into an automated light machining rig or a 2D drag knife cutter."

"Before a print starts the bed and nozzles need to be heated, Robox takes all the required heater settings from the SmartReel™ and heats both bed and nozzles in a very short time, <3mins for even the hottest settings. Next Robox will probe the bed in 9 locations, it builds a topographic map of the bed surface every time it starts a print and uses this data to ensure the nozzles are precisely distanced from the bed surface. Other 3D printers call this levelling the bed or gantry, usually a manual operation, Robox does it automatically. A mini purge refreshes the material in the nozzles and the print starts, but the clever SurePrint system is running all the time in the background, this is constantly measuring, altering and if needed changing hundreds of variables to ensure the print succeeds.
If something does go wrong, and to be honest things do occasionally fail to print, the SurePrint system will alert the user. There may be a tangle in the filament, maybe it ran out? In this case Robox pauses, lights flash, an alert appears in the software so the user can respond, resolve the problem and resume from where the error appeared. This pause feature is very robust and can be used to change filament colours, pause to insert captive nuts or other items or just to show off."

(Robox) "Advanced users will find plenty of control to manage the finest details within a print or material profile. These profiles can be edited and shared with other users in the community. A choice of slicing engines gives users the best of the best. Currently Cura and Slic3r are offered and our system has been designed so that more can be offered if they prove worthy."

Have you seen the output first hand?

Nah. There doesn't seem to be one between here and Chicago. Dynamism sells them and Ultimaker.

http://www.dynamism.com/3d-printers/robox.shtml

I also search Youtube for un biased reviews of a model I am considering even if its out of production now. thats what cooled my heals for the ibox Nano 3D printer. price seems to have little to do with how good or bad something is I learned like 25 years ago ;^)

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

18 (edited by n2ri 2016-02-27 05:07:19)

also more automation/computer controled features on anything makes me run home and lock the doors hoping that thing dont come near me LMAO. had my fill of "west World" (old sifi movie series) nightmares. "were nothing can go wrong... go wrong... go wrong..."

Here is my take on Makerbot.
I have a Replicator 2x. about 20Hrs in I had a Nozzle clog using Makerbot filament.
Makerbot Replaced it under Warrenty. I received it within 1 week. at around 75Hrs the bed was warped so bad I could not print.
also replaced under warrenty.  At 200hrs the Board and card reader started giving me problems so Both were replaced under warranty. at 300hrs the be warped again and was replaced under Warranty. I have replaced a nozzle fan 2 times once under Warrenty
one because while working on the unit I stuck an Allen wrench in it. it is no longer under warranty (way 2 expensive) so i am hoping I have nothing Major go wrong. at this point I have over 550 lifetime hrs run time on the unit.

Ultimaker S3.

Heartlander wrote:

Nah. There doesn't seem to be one between here and Chicago. Dynamism sells them and Ultimaker.

http://www.dynamism.com/3d-printers/robox.shtml

That's why I'll probably wait to check out the new crop of printers this May at MakerFaire.

I want to see the raw output of these things, not a video, or a photo of a cleaned up model.

Personally if I had $5K to spend, I'd buy a SLA printer.  Maybe the DWS XLab, or alternately spend half on an Ultimaker and the other half on a Formlabs.

The idea of the "best printer" is going to vary depending on one's specific needs and requirements. There is no one printer that is going to fit everyone, just like no single vehicle will work for everyone... it is all subjective to your needs & desires (and bank account). My "ideal" printer is going to be very different than someone else's...

For some of us*, going to a Maker Fair is not really an option - 5 hour drive one way? nope, sorry, not happening - not in one day anyway (and planning a multi-day trip is a bit of a nightmare).
Not to mention that the machines presented at these fairs are so highly calibrated & tweaked, they are hardly representative of what the general public would be receiving if they bought one. The manufacturers want the printer seen in the best light possible and do everything in their power to make that happen.

We* also, most likely don't have a maker-space near by either, which leaves that option out as well - altho it would be a great option if you do have one near you. Go visit, talk to the folks there, find out the pros & cons of the machines they have, 1st hand experiences, etc.

For those of us* in this situation, online reviews, videos, forums, etc, are the way we research our options.

That said - one needs to take the time to visit multiple sites to get a good "overall" picture of what ever it is you are researching. Only going to 2 or 3 sites is not enough... a dozen or more would be more appropriate. The bright shiny new model is not always the best option...nor is the cheapest a good idea... One place may give a glowing review, and another be filled with problems. One has to take both into account and weigh the pros & cons to find the balance.

(* those of us in rural areas)

Just my 0.02 cents worth on the subject...

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

22 (edited by Heartlander 2016-02-27 17:57:57)

Dangit, Heartless, you heartless person you! I'd appreciate it if you'd come talk to me  before stealin all the words outta my mouth. Now here I am flapping my lips with no words comin out! Not that that's a particularly surprising thing... but still.

smile

So, yeah, an SLA would be nice except the replacing the resin trays seems kinda expensive and 'd have to learn a new set of problems (I hate being the village noob)... I think a well-tuned FDM makes some pretty darn good parts for the money, esp if you're just prototyping for injection molding.

I'm about to conclude that the three best FDM printers under $5K are, generally speaking, the Ultimaker 2+ (or Extended version) $2500-$3000), the Fusion 3 ($4k) and the CEL Robox ($1500).

With a $5000 budget I could buy a Robox and one of these (for $3k): http://mediummachinery.com/index.html

But then you have the cost of mold making. Molds for some materials (low temps and pressures) can be self-made cheaply of epoxy. For stuff like ABS or PC you're looking at an aluminum mold being made for you. BenchTopMolds.com specializes in this kind of thing. Molds can run from several hundred to several thousand dollars.

in all honesty, Heartlander, I can not justify spending over $2k on a printer unless you are an established business with a client base that will produce enough income to cover the cost of the printer in a reasonable amount of time.

As a hobbyist, that kind of cost just doesn't make sense to me. not when I can get excellent results from a used or kit <$500 printer with good calibration and setup.

I think far too many people want perfect, instant, plug & play results, and 3d printing (for the majority of us) just isn't there yet.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

24 (edited by pirvan 2016-02-27 23:09:30)

heartless wrote:

For some of us*, going to a Maker Fair is not really an option - 5 hour drive one way? nope, sorry, not happening - not in one day anyway (and planning a multi-day trip is a bit of a nightmare).

Too bad.  You're missing on a lot of fun.

At the last faire I met people from as far away as Australia, Taiwan, Hawaii, and as close as "Canada", and yes they had come for that weekend event.

If this is something you truly like, then a 5 hour drive is not a huge burden.  and with proper planning it could be a fun time.

Heartless, yeah, I know. But I m in the process of taking a product to market, so I do need a more dependable, faster, machine.