1 (edited by Kvirre 2013-02-20 12:30:15)

Topic: Diluted acetone smoothing

Hi,

Since I have not tried it, i'm putting it out there ...
Do you really need to use Acetone-Vapor to smooth your print?

Since dipping you model in concentrated Acetone would most likely melt your model in no-time, but how about diluted acetone? Why not dip you model in a diluted fluid, letting it sit for a while, stir and repeat for hours / mintues for controlled smoothing?

Have anyone tried it?

Re: Diluted acetone smoothing

You can dip your prints into acetone (I think we call this an acetone bath) for about 3-4 seconds and then take it out.

This can cause a dripping effect on the print though.  The vapor run provides a more consist finish and the whole process from start to finish takes just a couple minutes + drying time.

This is not what I was going for here ....

As I said, not with concentrated Acetone, but rather with diluted Acetone.
Gravity does it thing anyway, no matter what.

I haven't heard of it being tried, document your results maybe it'll be a new standard.

I'm pretty sure it's not that great.
smile

Most thoughts aren't original, but I was hoping to find someone who explained the manner it failed in.
There is prob. a reason since most people go through the effort of "making" the vapor-smoothing-station.

But you got a point, I should try it myself.

I think the benefit of vapor smoothing is that you can precisely control the exposure and walk it up to where you want it to be.  Dipping could leave pooling, drip marks, uneven application, etc. 

I always look for how it's done in large scale and try to make that work for my small scale.  Companies figure out how to be cost effective so if a diluted solution would work for vapor degreasing it would probably be used in industry.  That's not to say you wouldn't stumble across acceptable results trying it.  What's the harm in trying?