Topic: SD3 Noob: Please help with printer output

Hi all,

I am new to 3D printing  and I hope not to regret taking the decision of buying this printer (SD3) instead of the MakerBot. After some hours of frustration, I was able to communicate the PC to the printer and control it manually and set the head and platform temperatures. Later,  I couldn't get any print because it was not sticking to the platform. SD support sent me a link for the Z-Stop alignment and I found another video for leveling the platform (Sadly, my Kapton film was already perforated on the screws).

After leveling the platform and performing the Z-Stop, I was able to make some prints but I am seeing some issues: Basically the dimensions of the parts don’t match the dimensions of the original design , there is extra material in every single piece and some pieces are not having enough material at the end. The worst part is that when I tried to print a cylinder X-Y axis shifted more than once.

I am using 200/100 degrees and the defaults for .1mm profile.

Thank you in advance for you help,

CB

Post's attachments

IMG_2798.JPG
IMG_2798.JPG 1.88 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_2803.JPG
IMG_2803.JPG 2.61 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_2805.JPG
IMG_2805.JPG 2.82 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_2807.JPG
IMG_2807.JPG 2.7 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

2 (edited by nickythegreek 2013-02-18 23:06:59)

Re: SD3 Noob: Please help with printer output

I suggest starting out with the .3mm profile until you really understand the printer.  Printing at .1mm can take some more finesse .  Once you feel comfortable with the slicing software and the mechanics of the printer then move to .1mm printing.

Give your kapton tape a once over with some isopropyl alcohol or look into the super cheap and highly effective 6"x6" glass + hairspray + binder clip mod.

That being said, it looks like your printer is pushing out to much plastic.  In slic3r you can adjust this by lowering your extrusion multiplier.

Hi Crazybear, You are definitely extruding too much which is more than likely what caused the shift in you first pic #2798 too much filament was deposited and caused the print-head to drag and lose steps here is a vid showing how to calibrate the extruder --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZGdMc2ebPo also check here ---> http://wiki.solidoodle.com/extruder-calibration other then that the only thing I notice is your z height may be just a tiny bit high but if that is what it takes to get it to stick don't change it until you have more experience with the printer also from time to time you may have to re-level the bed.

Thank you very much for your inputs. I used the alternative mentioned in the “Extruder Calibration” post about changing the “Extrusion Multiplier” setting (that is the same parameter you change in the Flow Rate post) on Slic3r and I printed a test cube 20mm x 20mm following the instructions described in the “Flow Rate” post (using the .3mm Slic3rprofile).  I was able to get a 0.42mm wall.

So far I have: level the platform, adjusted the z-screw, cleaned the platform, and adjusted the filament flow.

It looks much better but still I can see some ridges on 3 of the walls. Just one face has a really nice alignment. Is there anything else I can do to have a better quality?

Thanks again,

CB

Post's attachments

IMG_2809.JPG
IMG_2809.JPG 1.99 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_2810.JPG
IMG_2810.JPG 2.15 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

I'd say it looks a little more like you are overshooting meaning maybe your belts aren't tensioned quite right.  I see some overhangs that would look like retraction but on a box like this retraction shouldn't come into play.   Look for belt tensioning, I think it's on the solidoodle vimeo page or I'm sure Ian has covered it here or there.  Search under x and y backlash as well. 

You're getting  close, hang in there.

Hello,

I followed the instructions to adjust the Y-Alignment and belt tensioning. I tried printing a creature using the .3mm profile and my new filament profile and the printing shifted.

I tried printing a cube and a cilinder using the calibration settings and the cube was ok, but the cilinder shifted somewhere at 1/3. Bot are 20mm x 20mm.

I think that I have followed all if not most of the calibration steps. But still not printing properly.

Any help will be very much appreciated since Solidoodle customer support has stopped replying to my e-mails since last Monday. I wonder if solidoodle prints a test before shipping the printers.

CB

Post's attachments

photo 1.JPG 680.1 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

photo 2.JPG 744.81 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG 484.51 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG 720.96 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

CrazyBear wrote:

Hello,

I followed the instructions to adjust the Y-Alignment and belt tensioning. I tried printing a creature using the .3mm profile and my new filament profile and the printing shifted.

I tried printing a cube and a cilinder using the calibration settings and the cube was ok, but the cilinder shifted somewhere at 1/3. Bot are 20mm x 20mm.

I think that I have followed all if not most of the calibration steps. But still not printing properly.

Any help will be very much appreciated since Solidoodle customer support has stopped replying to my e-mails since last Monday. I wonder if solidoodle prints a test before shipping the printers.

CB

They say they test the machines, but with the amount of people having issues day one, some if not most slip through without anything but built, then shipped.

the shift is a mechanical problem... too much ot not enough belt tensionning .. or/and not enough lubricant on rod

OR there is a hard point with your filament/spool that block the hothead move sometimes...

have you tried the set screw for the y axis on the back wall? it connects the vertical belt to the stepper... mine always loosens off giving the symptoms you see here... has been 20-30 prints since it happened at the weekend again... my set scre had completely come out and was found lying in the bottom of the SD

good practice to nip round with an allen key and tighten them all up...all the best !

I agree , likely a set screw or some other mechanical binding going on.

saymo606 wrote:

have you tried the set screw for the y axis on the back wall? it connects the vertical belt to the stepper... mine always loosens off giving the symptoms you see here... has been 20-30 prints since it happened at the weekend again... my set scre had completely come out and was found lying in the bottom of the SD

good practice to nip round with an allen key and tighten them all up...all the best !

Maybe you should get some loctite?

Lead Programmer & Co-Owner of Camshaft Software - Creators of Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game

lotw_1 wrote:
CrazyBear wrote:

Hello,

CB

They say they test the machines, but with the amount of people having issues day one, some if not most slip through without anything but built, then shipped.

That's not true at all. Must we show pictures of our assembly line to close this silly rumor? Honestly, our building is shaped in such a way that a printer cannot escape the building without being pulled through the testing department.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Would you mind sharing the STL file you guys use to test the printer before shipping it? Maybe everybody can use it as a reference point for calibration. Also, please let us know what Slic3r profile you are using.

solidoodlesupport wrote:
lotw_1 wrote:
CrazyBear wrote:

Hello,

CB

That's not true at all. Must we show pictures of our assembly line to close this silly rumor? Honestly, our building is shaped in such a way that a printer cannot escape the building without being pulled through the testing department.

14 (edited by CrazyBear 2013-02-21 18:47:41)

Hello,

Thank you all for your inputs. While trying another attempt to print I noticed that the extruder had some difficulties pulling the filament. I decided to elevate the filament and the printer is doing much better!!! I was able to print the same cylinder that failed yesterday and another print that previously had failed.

The little creature from thinkverse still has issues, after printing the base the next 3 or 4 layers shifted.

I used the .3mm profile. 200/100 degrees.

*** Is this a normal print for this profile or do I need to adjust the flow of the filament again.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Post's attachments

photo 1 (1).JPG 897.67 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

photo 3 (1).JPG
photo 3 (1).JPG 923.29 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG 547.03 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

photo 4 (1).JPG
photo 4 (1).JPG 670.1 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

photo.JPG
photo.JPG 2.87 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

LOL... nice spool holder you got going on

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

I recommend turning off the Randomize starting points checkbox. I hate that setting.