Topic: Slic3r file too big to slice for printing

how can I compress STL file size so Slic3r with slice it? files larger than about 30mb wont work. is there a easy way to make it smaller and still make printable Gcode? like image files that have too high of color resolution?

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Re: Slic3r file too big to slice for printing

OK tried Netfab  repair (even though none needed) refine triangle mesh' lowered a couple zeros making it less refined but still fine for N scale printing. knocked file size in half that way and able to slice Gcode on test file.

so is there another way still?

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

n2ri wrote:

how can I compress STL file size so Slic3r with slice it? files larger than about 30mb wont work. is there a easy way to make it smaller and still make printable Gcode? like image files that have too high of color resolution?

S3D has no issue with files that large. But file size depends on your method of creation.. Is your CAD software additive or subtractive?

I use Tinker CAD and it uses basic shapes and those can be solid or holes. However with the way it works even the holes take up file space so the more holes you create or the more negative shapes you use to shape your desired shape then the bigger the file gets.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

n2ri wrote:

I've loaded 200MB STL's into Slic3r without any problems ,other than it gets sluggish rotating the the view.  Slicing it is something else altogether.  It took nearly 35 minutes to slice the model.  On the other hand, the same model slices in less than a minute with Cura. 

That's probably the biggest reason why I stopped using Slic3r and moved on to Cura.

I don't understand the last sentence,  What type of files with color are you referring to?  STL's don't have any color information.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

n2ri wrote:

OK tried Netfab  repair (even though none needed) refine triangle mesh' lowered a couple zeros making it less refined but still fine for N scale printing. knocked file size in half that way and able to slice Gcode on test file.

so is there another way still?

Refining the triangle mesh will increase the number of faces/triangles, not lower it.  But then again, I don't have access to the Refine function, since I only have Netfabb basic.

So, you have a Pro version of NetFabb?  Lucky you....

pirvan wrote:
n2ri wrote:

I've loaded 200MB STL's into Slic3r without any problems ,other than it gets sluggish rotating the the view.  Slicing it is something else altogether.  It took nearly 35 minutes to slice the model.  On the other hand, the same model slices in less than a minute with Cura. 

That's probably the biggest reason why I stopped using Slic3r and moved on to Cura.

I don't understand the last sentence,  What type of files with color are you referring to?  STL's don't have any color information.

He is just making a comparison of how you can use certain programs to compress color information in images, he was hoping there was a similar program for STL's. My guess his limit is more his computer than Slic3r.. The computer is what is choking..

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

no not computer memory nor processor, slic3r takes forever does nothing then crashes with errors about not able to find/write data. and I just have basic Netfab also. remove degenerate faces' is what I used. it also has values you can set

another thing that loads space in files is lots of changes made over several times. it saves things like old parts posistions etc. I have seen this in lots of files you can build or change data on when opened. some apps have filters to fix this and tweaking settings. just cant find much like that for STL format other than Poly values like how refined you want it.

apps like a Slicer and related programs to it have buffer limits and cache limits in them and when they are reached just loading the file then no room left to modify it.

kind like on a paper printer when you click to print say a color Photo the printer board and computer Ram both need enough space to "spool" print data b4 printing begins. like streaming data also. some systems have advanced settings to adjust these limits if virtual memory is used on an HDD.

older devices also have limits of how much memory they can see in say an SD card or hard drive. same with apps. they can only access what they can use. and the older Sic3r versions even had issues not clearing cache from previous Gcodes until rebooted a couple times. I think the newer version likely has things like this fixed. I just have not gotten switched over yet

I'm not sure why you had to make 4 separate posts, but let me see if I can answer some of these. 

no not computer memory nor processor...
I'm still not sure what it is you are running, whether it's XP, or Win7, 32bit, 64bit,  You never really made it clear, but I can tell you that Slic3r uses memory and processor to do it's thing.  I suspect that the same problems you had printing the simple parts for the Atlas 3D printer are surfacing here as well.

remove degenerate faces' is what I used. it also has values you can set
That has nothing to do with polygon reduction.  Worse yet, it's a function that usually distorts the surface and creates more problems that it solves.  It will remove a face which it thinks sits on a degenerate edge, removes it, which creates additional degenerate edges, removes those, and so on, then fills the surfaces without any though to the original; shape. 

I never use that function, I'd rather leave them in place as they don't affect the model in any adverse ways.  Perhaps this is why you're having such problems with your models.  You let NetFabb "fix" them and instead it messes them up.

another thing that loads space in files is lots of changes made over several times. it saves things like old parts posistions etc.
Well, the first part is true, making changes over time, it will affect the final size of the file, it could be larger, or smaller.   
STL is a pretty simple format, it stores triangle information, their relative scale, and location from origin, that's it.  The scale and location information doesn't take up any space to speak of, the data is very small (a few KB).  It's the number of triangles that take up space.  So the more "refined" a mesh is, the more triangles it has, so the larger the file is.  If your file blimps out of proportion, it's because it got more triangles.

apps like a Slicer and related programs to it have buffer limits and cache limits in them and when they are reached just loading the file then no room left to modify it.
Sorry, but it doesn't look like it.  The fact that I can load and slice a 200MB file is proof of it.  There might be a limit, probably imposed by the amount of available RAM and scratch space on your HDD, but you shouldn't see it with a small file like the one you originally mentioned.

Bottom line, you're having the same problems here, that you had printing the Atlas 3D parts.  There you refused to acknowledge that the problem is at your end, and blamed the STL files, even when everybody was telling you there was nothing wrong with them.  Here you look at Slic3r as the culprit, when really it's something else on your end.

I don't think you'll ever be rid of any of your issues until you face the fact that there's something else wrong with your system as a whole, and start overhauling it from scratch.

my main setup I use is a IBM T61 with 2.1ghz Duocore processor, 3gb Ram, Win XP 32bit, 1TB HDD also 16GB vertual memory, but the old RH/Slic3r that last came with the SD2/3/4 which I know is some of my problems now but was not for 2+ years.

the feature I used in Netfab did lower size of the small model from over 32mb to 17mb with very little changes to model and still error free, just need to try printing Gcode it made yet today.

and yes I know STL is similar to Bitmap but Bitmap also gets large fast as its not compressed like say a JPG or TIF so most are zipped for storage and transfer by email etc.

I also have a large HDD partition for swap file on my computers. my 2nd laptop is an IBM W500 running win7 Ult 64bit with a 2.8ghz Processor, 4+gb ram and 20gb vertual mem only 320gb HDD ATM but adiquit or better than my T61.

I already know I have an unknown issue on my T61 the last few months and working to move to the W500. I am not blaming anything on anyone, nor in denile. just asking advice about issues like this as I know others have had same trouble b4 and will again. also sharing any solutions I find. so I may not be able to explain how it does it, but positive it does. as they say the proof is in the Pudding ;^P

nobody knows everything about anything until its been tried. and when we get old enough to not learn new things we simply got too bull headed to accept it and may as well stay in bed til death at that point. my 6th grade teacher told the class "as long as we learn 1 simple thing each day it was worth getting up for."

Let's put the hardware aside for a moment and deal with the STL.

STL files can be found (or saved by a program) in either ASCII or Binary formats.  The ASCII format is a text format that is readable in any text editor.  Each triangle orientation location is described individually, which is why ASCII STL's can be very large.

For this reason, the Binary STL format was developed, and because of the way it describes the object, it's a lot more compact than an ASCII STL. 

So as  you can see, the ASCII version is more like the uncompressed bitmap you were talking about, whereas the binary is more like Compressed TIFF or PNG.  It's not, nor will it ever be like JPEG, because JPEG is a lossy compression, whereas a lossy compression for STL files would involve modification of the geometry.

Now let's talk a bit about your computers and the setup.

You ThinkPad T61 is pretty outdated.  The Core 2 Duo T5500 benchmarks on a par with an Intel Atom Z3735G, which ain't exactly fast.  Then you are hampered by having only 3GB of total memory.  You said you're using 16GB of virtual memory.  That might actually be a problem.  First of all, on 32bit OS, the maximum usable virtual memory is 3 times the size of the RAM.  Take a look at your pagefile.sys.  What size it it?

Then there's the issue of performance.  Your virtual memory is only as fast as your hard drive.  The average laptop HDD is only 5400 RPM, and that's pretty slow.  Then, because this is a laptop, there's only one drive, so the same drive that holds your OS, also holds your virtual memory.  All these things will affect your performance negatively.

I also have a large HDD partition for swap file on my computers.

If you're putting your swap file on a separate partition of the same physical drive, make sure it's the only one (in other words you don't have a Swap file on that partition and one on the main drive.  That will impact the performance of your laptop negatively.

14 (edited by n2ri 2016-02-14 07:06:38)

yes its only 1 swap file. thanks for that info on vertual memory I couldnt find that limit anyplace and my sons didnt know either.
could this be causing any of my other issues with slic3r or some web pages not loading like b4 I increased this? thats about when all that started.

what/where is the "pagefile.sys"

and that "outdated" T61 is way faster than the PCs I was using b4 lol

I found the pagefile.sys, its whats called alocated VM which said 9070k so I set max to 9000 instead of 10000 like it was. I had my numbers confused I guess. it has 4gb ram but only 3gb is seen by 32bit so likely not my issue

my W500 has 4gb on 64bit and VM is 12000k so its fine. I think I was adding VM and Ram to come up with my total numbers.

so still no clue whats causing my issues. that STL I modified to lower size and slice Gcode printed fine. but when I tried to re-slice the same file with thinner support it again crashed so still need to find the reasons for that. maybe I will try slicing the original STL on my W500 with the newest version of Slic3r and see if that too is only on my T61. wish I could find what to do to fix these issus, even Comodo never finds anything so its not virus related just some system gliche that happened about November and I had nothing installed etc then. computers are a pain when they screw up and give no sign why or what.

n2ri wrote:

yes its only 1 swap file. thanks for that info on vertual memory I couldnt find that limit anyplace and my sons didnt know either.
could this be causing any of my other issues with slic3r or some web pages not loading like b4 I increased this? thats about when all that started.

what/where is the "pagefile.sys"

and that "outdated" T61 is way faster than the PCs I was using b4 lol

I found the pagefile.sys, its whats called alocated VM which said 9070k so I set max to 9000 instead of 10000 like it was. I had my numbers confused I guess. it has 4gb ram but only 3gb is seen by 32bit so likely not my issue

my W500 has 4gb on 64bit and VM is 12000k so its fine. I think I was adding VM and Ram to come up with my total numbers.

so still no clue whats causing my issues. that STL I modified to lower size and slice Gcode printed fine. but when I tried to re-slice the same file with thinner support it again crashed so still need to find the reasons for that. maybe I will try slicing the original STL on my W500 with the newest version of Slic3r and see if that too is only on my T61. wish I could find what to do to fix these issus, even Comodo never finds anything so its not virus related just some system gliche that happened about November and I had nothing installed etc then. computers are a pain when they screw up and give no sign why or what.

I would let Windows handle the virtual memory, and not attempt to manually control it.  Windows is pretty good at it, and it will increase, or decrease the file size as necessary to handle the applications that are needing the extra memory.
As far as slicing models, I suggest you get one of the later versions of Repetier Host that has Cura, and give it a try.  You'll find that it a lot easier to use, more forgiving of errors, and a hell of a lot faster.

Last but not least, regarding your T61.  If you're happy with it, that's fine.  When I said it was outdated , I mean it in terms of hardware generations.  There have been 7 CPU generations since that processor was introduces back in 2007.  We are now into the 6th generation of Core i processors, and the next gen microarchitecture that was introduced with the Nahelem (the first Core i5/i7) changed everything, and dramatically improved performance.

The bad news, is that the maximum amount of RAM T61 can have is only 4GB.  The chipset doesn't support any more than that.  The good news, is the THinkpad W500, assuming you have a Core 2 Duo T9xxx CPU, has a GM45 or PM45 chipset which does support more, it can support up to 8GB  of DDR2. 

Considering the cost of a 4GB DDR3 SO-DIMM is about $25, for $50 you can upgrade your notebook to 8GB.

16 (edited by n2ri 2016-02-14 17:38:20)

yep, then I am looking for an IBM W520 which can do 32gb Ram and has that newer Processor making it faster than even the W701 series in some ways. they are still about $400 ATM though and I want the best build with most of the nice options. I do think the T61 was the big turning point for these series of IBM Workstations with all its features offered plus the wide screen. the models after the W520 have been cut back though like most current tablet style laptops. I prefer as many desk top features as posible in my Laptops and use a 1TB HDD in swapbay for backups and since not a gammer or pro photographer no need for RAID set up or a Wayne pad like the W701 has or built in 2nd monitor adding heft and bulk is all. I have been sold on IBM Thinkpads since my 1st 701c butterfly keyboard model over 20 years ago, but Lenovo has dumbed them down since taking over trying to compete with the big box discount junk typical for that countries manufacturers. cheaper does not make better.

If you want desktop features, why don't you simply get a desktop PC? 

Rather than spend the money on a 4 year old refurbished laptop that weighs nearly 6lbs., for the money you'll probably get better hardware and features, and ultimately real upgradeability in a desktop.

3Gig of RAM is no where near enough, imho...

I bought a refurbished HP Pavilion running Win7 64bit for under $300 - AMD Athlon dual core processor with 4 gig RAM - 1st thing I did was find out what board it had & how much memory it could handle, and ordered more memory for it - now at 12 gig (will take up to 16) and large files slice easily and fairly quickly.

Eventually I will upgrade to a better processor, which will mean new motherboard, and probably more memory, but this works pretty well for now. I can run multiple printers, have my browser open with multiple tabs, and more often than not have one of my modeling programs open as well and have no problems with any of it.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

19 (edited by n2ri 2016-02-14 21:08:27)

its plenty for 3D printing needs. more memory and higher speed PCU wont do any better, faster printing.

and as to Pirvans getting a desk top; been there done that, I find it much more difficult to pack-up and carry all the components of a desk top in 1 bag when traveling LMAO plus it takes up way more work surface area. my last old hand me down custom built  desk top had a RAID 4 HDD plus tons of other cards installed for surround sound, graphics TV/radio multi drive bays in a tall tower with 5 big cooling fans filtered like for a server and a huge HD monitor (pre flat screen), large keyboard and mouse that cluttered my desk beyond usability and weighed like 60 plus pounds and would need a large steamer trunk to haul it in plus another for any peripherals which I have many (one portable printer/scanner for my laptop bag)  its been retired to the basement train room (monitor replaced with flat screen). see my 2 sons are BS IT guys been building their own since grade school with careers at big corps. so Dad gets plenty last year models lol.

n2ri wrote:

its plenty for 3D printing needs. more memory and higher speed PCU wont do any better, faster printing.

never said it would speed up the actual printing, but it DOES speed up slicing which IS handled by CPU & memory...

I want a better/faster CPU and more memory more for modeling use while printing since I like to utilize my time wisely & I don't leave my printers alone while they are running. Having one computer to handle all aspects is a worthwhile expenditure to me.
One computer, with dual monitors (one with however many RH copies i need open at the moment, and one with other things running - browser, modeling program, etc) allows me to multitask quite efficiently and with very few problems.

To each their own and your mileage may vary...

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

well many other apps running at same time can mess up RH/slicer functions. especially high useage things like games, flash, streaming, media as they use that memory and some background support apps also. plus look what Atlas 3D scanner does just on an Pi its very limited memory

Add more memory to the 64-bit machine, slice there and give the gcode file to the 32-bit machine for printing. Just a memory upgrade will do. I upgraded a machine from 32-bit to 64-bit and 4G to 8G memory and never had a slicing problem again. YMMV.

SD2 Expert stock, ABS fume fan,
XYZ DaVinci 1.0 stock ABS, Simplify3D
QUBD Two-Up PLA, new 3D printed X gantry, Y idler, flex z coupler, extruder mount, E3D Lite

ggunners wrote:

Add more memory to the 64-bit machine, slice there and give the gcode file to the 32-bit machine for printing. Just a memory upgrade will do. I upgraded a machine from 32-bit to 64-bit and 4G to 8G memory and never had a slicing problem again. YMMV.

Thanks! that was my backup plan lol

well since today I used the same laptop and old version Slic3r to convert an STL to an SVG that turnned out a file over 41kb (at least 10k more than the STLs giving me fits) seems memory is not the issue but some other aspect of some large files which is likely connected with my earlier trouble the last couple months with some Atlas scanner STL files not slicing right.

back to the head scratcher board ;^(