Topic: Best bang for my buck?

Anyone know the best kit or model to buy for around $1500?

Thanks!

SD4, Glass bed,(Soon to have) E3D v6, MK5 extruder

Re: Best bang for my buck?

well for 1500 you can buy 1 sd3 and an sd2, 3 sd2's or just get an sd3 and a extruder kit and alot of filament

Depends on your time frame.  If you need a printer faster then 4-6 months you may want to look elsewhere, meaning a company that isn't a new startup.  There are only a few that actually have machine ready to send.  SD, Bukobot, etc. all have 8-10 weeks lead times which so far seem to slip.

You could also get the kits and build them yourself, if you feel confident.  All of my plans are on hold till the machine shows up, which is about 3 more weeks.

lotw_1 wrote:

Depends on your time frame.  If you need a printer faster then 4-6 months you may want to look elsewhere, meaning a company that isn't a new startup.  There are only a few that actually have machine ready to send.  SD, Bukobot, etc. all have 8-10 weeks lead times which so far seem to slip.

You could also get the kits and build them yourself, if you feel confident.  All of my plans are on hold till the machine shows up, which is about 3 more weeks.

Let's be fair, the lead times are WAY down now compared to the early adopters.  Looks like they're beating 6 weeks in a lot of cases lately.  I wish the newbies would add their times to the shipping chart so we could track the progress of the company.

I had the same issue, I really like the Aluminatus as it is 12x12x12 and has lead screws. I think they are asking 2199$
I decided that since the market is changing so much i would wait and modifiy my SD2, There may be dual head with proven software and easy tuning soon, or many other things. I would pay 2000 dollars for a metal laser sinterer...How bout you?

Like I said, almost all but 3 have a 4-10 week lead time.  The cheapest you can get fast is the Cubify one which uses special cartridge for the filament, which costs about $5-$10 more for less material and has a small build tray.  The next one is almost $2k.  Could buy 2 SD3s and some filament for that price.

I am waiting for mine still, but I can.  I have noticed that some people are getting them only 6 weeks instead of 8-10.  Still waiting time needs to be cut down for all these companies to do better.  Another thing to consider is support, part replacement, etc.  What makes me wait is the support from the community here.  Of coarse seeing what some people are doing makes it hard to wait, cause you want to try or come up with something better.

lotw_1 wrote:

Like I said, almost all but 3 have a 4-10 week lead time.  The cheapest you can get fast is the Cubify one which uses special cartridge for the filament, which costs about $5-$10 more for less material and has a small build tray.  The next one is almost $2k.  Could buy 2 SD3s and some filament for that price.

anyone figured out how to hack those stupid cartridges yet?

cmetzel wrote:

Let's be fair, the lead times are WAY down now compared to the early adopters.  Looks like they're beating 6 weeks in a lot of cases lately.  I wish the newbies would add their times to the shipping chart so we could track the progress of the company.

From the SD2 times I've seen this month (9 Days-4 Weeks) it appears to have vastly improved. If one was ambitious enough smile we could update the spreadsheet based on the shipping list thread.

I'm personally hoping for just a few more days (Ordered 2/22) but I'm fully aware it could take another 3-6 weeks, hopefully not...

Scurvymcdiggle wrote:
lotw_1 wrote:

anyone figured out how to hack those stupid cartridges yet?

I haven't been able to get my hands on one yet but from what I've been reading pretty sure it isn't too hard to hack.