Topic: Stepper motor for the extruder

Sup guys!

Where can i bought the right steper motor ( mine broke ) for the extruder ?

Thanks!

Re: Stepper motor for the extruder

There are several other things that can make a motor fail to operate, so if you are not sure it's the stepper it might be worth troubleshooting on the forum a little.  I'm not familiar with the SDP but I suppose it's a NEMA 17 motor.

SD2 Sanguinololu 1.3a atmega1284p, wood platform, lawsy's carriages, braided fishing line, pallet wood overhead spool mount, carboard/magnet enclosure, glass bed, E3D v6, bed levelling knobs, extended z-stop, 25A DC-DC SSR for bed heater, everything fixed to the SD2 frame, marlin firmware with some adjustments and extra failsafes enabled.  I'll never give up on you, little printer that could(n't)!

Yes pretty sure this is it, i'v got another ( a nema 17 indeed ) and it work on it, but he over heat ( i know it can be hot, but THIS is clearly too much) as hell, clearly the model i have don't fit, maybe too much Volt, so i thought maybe someone know the spec of the motor i should buy?

willthewill wrote:

Yes pretty sure this is it, i'v got another ( a nema 17 indeed ) and it work on it, but he over heat ( i know it can be hot, but THIS is clearly too much) as hell, clearly the model i have don't fit, maybe too much Volt, so i thought maybe someone know the spec of the motor i should buy?

You have to adjust the voltage at the stepper driver.. This part of tuning any printer and should be verified before use. Motors even under heavy use should get very warm but not to the point that only a second or less of contact causes discomfort. You should research setting vref on stepper drivers and make sure it is correct.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

OP check out this motor http://us.stepperonline.com/nema-17-bip … -p-14.html
It weighs more than your current E motor, but has more torque. Unless you plan on breaking the sound barrier during print jobs, it will work just fine.

To add to what Carl said about heat, I mostly agree. 1.8deg motors should not get that hot. .9deg motors on the otherhand...

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

6 (edited by willthewill 2016-02-06 09:29:06)

Thanks for your help, fast and useful as always big_smile.

The first steppermotor broke because of a shotcut on the pins while it was moving -_-'.

I had  this one hanging arround, indeed a 1.8deg but smaller frame and weight.
http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00WFWH … ge_o01_s00

But yes i know it dont fit anyways and as i don't really know about tuning the Voltage, i'll go for your recommendation big_smile, but just to be sure, it say " 12V " in the descrition but in the spec it says it works from "12 to 24V" ( and if i'm correct the right voltage for the press is 24v, isn't it). Will it work anyway?

Thanks you both!

willthewill wrote:

Thanks for your help, fast and useful as always big_smile.

The first steppermotor broke because of a shotcut on the pins while it was moving -_-'.

I had  this one hanging arround, indeed a 1.8deg but smaller frame and weight.
http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00WFWH … ge_o01_s00

But yes i know it dont fit anyways and as i don't really know about tuning the Voltage, i'll go for your recommendation big_smile, but just to be sure, it say " 12V " in the descrition but in the spec it says it works from "12 to 24V" ( and if i'm correct the right voltage for the press is 24v, isn't it). Will it work anyway?

Thanks you both!

VREF and operating voltage are not the same thing. VREF has more to do with the amount of current the motor can use. They will use all you can ffed them to the point of burning up. So you have to limit them with just enough to do the job. Getting too hot is always a sign of over current or binding.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

8 (edited by willthewill 2016-02-10 21:42:28)

MMhhhh, i think i understand, way clearer now! And is the voltage output is lock by the motherboard or can i change it by touching the firmware ? ( I would prefer not to mess with it i admit )
Going to investigate about that, thanks!

Vref adjustment is well discussed in earlier posts. Please search the message board for directions.