Topic: Solar Panel powering Da Vinci

Does anyone know what the Da Vinci Printer uses for power? If I can bypass the Powersupply and feed directly from Solar Powered Battery? Can I power with 12VDC? I am looking for the power requirements.

Re: Solar Panel powering Da Vinci

viperz28 wrote:

Does anyone know what the Da Vinci Printer uses for power? If I can bypass the Powersupply and feed directly from Solar Powered Battery? Can I power with 12VDC? I am looking for the power requirements.

A Da Vinci with a stock motherboard uses three voltages and all three are needed. Those are 12v, 5v, and 3.3v. Those are all three supplied by a Flex ITX PC power supply.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

viperz28 wrote:

Don't know if it will work  but you could try a DC to AC inverter

Da Vinci  AiO with firmware 1.1.1 using xyzscan 1.1.18
E3Dv6 hotend with custom carriage with Borosilicate glass bed
123D Design and Simplify3D, Replaced PS with a Solidgear Flex320
Zerokart resetter,  Installed a Extruder Controller for higher temps

4 (edited by carl_m1968 2016-02-03 02:41:59)

kev0175 wrote:
viperz28 wrote:

Don't know if it will work  but you could try a DC to AC inverter

As I said the Da Vinci boards needs 12v, 4, and 3.3v. An inverter will only supply one voltage. He would need additional step down converters for the other two lower voltages and by then the current on the lower voltages will be unusable. In fact the current a solar cell supplies unless we are talking about a 4 foot square is not going to be enough to run the Da Vinci. I believe the power supply in them is capable of about 15 amps and it is really not enough as apparent by the light bar pulsing as the bed heats.

Well what meant was to use the inverter to power the power supply that is already in the machine if it's possible.

Da Vinci  AiO with firmware 1.1.1 using xyzscan 1.1.18
E3Dv6 hotend with custom carriage with Borosilicate glass bed
123D Design and Simplify3D, Replaced PS with a Solidgear Flex320
Zerokart resetter,  Installed a Extruder Controller for higher temps

I do not see why a inverter would not work. You would loose some efficiency in the system probably not a lot. there are nonprofits working on this for third world countries.

IIRC my sd4 draws about 120 watts. Home depot selsl a amp meter called a kil- o watt  that will measure power use .

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

7 (edited by carl_m1968 2016-02-04 16:12:13)

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/200-watt-k … mp;veh=sem

The above kit is what you would need. Note this does not include a necessary deep cycle battery. That kit is $649 and would take up about 4 square feet. And weigh about 80 lbs. Not exactly portable but would support off grid printing. But so would a large UPS.