Topic: I put a Smoke Alarm on my printer

I made two 1/2" holes, one under and one beside the alarm, to let the warm air bring any first wisps of smoke to the alarm's sensor.

$5 at Home Depot.

http://soliforum.com/i/?tdmxlk5.jpg

Robox printer, HICTOP (Prusa i3 variant) Model 3DP17 printer, ELEK 2.5W laser engraver, AutoDesk 123D Design, Windows 10

Re: I put a Smoke Alarm on my printer

Is it just me or is the smoke detector upside down? tongue
You also want to elevate it by a few inches so that it is not directly butting up to the acrylic.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Have you tested it?  I'm be curious if you lit some ABS in the cavity, how long before it sounds.

The unit is open inside, so air can flow past the battery and up to the sensor. I don't think there is an up or down, operationally speaking.

I did light  small fire in the bottom of the printer with  2"x 4" piece of paper with  few strands of ABS hair. It tripped the alarm in about five seconds.

Works for me.

Robox printer, HICTOP (Prusa i3 variant) Model 3DP17 printer, ELEK 2.5W laser engraver, AutoDesk 123D Design, Windows 10

5 (edited by IronMan 2016-02-02 18:33:13)

Try ABS only...paper may be skewing your results!

Now, if you can port the alarm output to a relay control that will cut off all AC power to the printer...

EDIT: Still, a fireproof cabinet is your best bet.

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

Hey guys, just bought a 3rd gen yesterday and it turns out the company is bankrupt, the online support is shut down and the dang thing can burn your house down lol. Well you're all I have left so i'm counting on you all here. Any who, I'm a plumber/gasfitter in Canada so I work on lots of furnaces which have a few safety features I need to check regularly. I think a 250 Celsius snap disk safety shutoff wired from the power supply to the inside of the cabinet could be very effective. It needs to cut off power to the printer board so if it gets above 250C the disk snap open and cuts power off to extruder. I'll post some links when I have finished.

7 (edited by jagowilson 2016-02-05 17:16:18)

starscream66 wrote:

Hey guys, just bought a 3rd gen yesterday and it turns out the company is bankrupt, the online support is shut down and the dang thing can burn your house down lol. Well you're all I have left so i'm counting on you all here. Any who, I'm a plumber/gasfitter in Canada so I work on lots of furnaces which have a few safety features I need to check regularly. I think a 250 Celsius snap disk safety shutoff wired from the power supply to the inside of the cabinet could be very effective. It needs to cut off power to the printer board so if it gets above 250C the disk snap open and cuts power off to extruder. I'll post some links when I have finished.

250C seems pretty hot. I don't know if the ambient temperatures will approach those sorts of numbers in the event of a fire. I would estimate more around 135F (57C), because that's the lowest available bulb for sprinkler systems:
http://www.vikinggroupinc.com/files/ima … ponseBulbs

Also, if you never print unattended, you don't need any safety measures. That's my approach.

8 (edited by Retroplayer 2016-05-07 12:00:31)

I would recommend this smoke alarm if you want to add a smoke alarm. Since it has the addition of a photo-electric sensor, it is designed to sense 'smoldering fires' which are more likely to happen in a 3D printer and are much quicker to respond.

http://www.firstalert.com/battery/128-p … moke-alarm

I bought one to add to my laser cutter and had modified it to work in the interlock circuit which cuts power to the laser (unfortunately I don't remember how I did the mod - in my notes somewhere.)

The other advantage is that these are tiny.

You guys that are afraid of a printer fire should just move to SLA then the danger of fire is no more probable them your computer or TV catching fire. Plus your quality output will make a massive jump as well.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

may be dumb question but what's sla?

macgyver007 wrote:

may be dumb question but what's sla?

Stereo lithography.

In short resin hardened by a scanning laser. You can get one from $900 to $1500 now if you shop and the resin has come way down to around $60 per liter. The $1500 is for a lightly used Formlabs Form1 which is one of the best out there. Makerjuice makes resin that has no odor, and is even non flammable so they claim.

carl_m1968 wrote:

You guys that are afraid of a printer fire should just move to SLA then the danger of fire is no more probable them your computer or TV catching fire. Plus your quality output will make a massive jump as well.

3D printers are not a toy, they are tools. And like any other tool, there are pros and cons to each design.
Tip of the iceberg, the 1ltr makerjuice will last a week at best. With a Filastruder, I can make one printer dance for a month on $10, and I can customize the color however I please. I'm not being a Debbie Downer on SLA, as I have operated one, but every electronic device is a potential fire hazard.

When using any tools, including printers, please exercise caution, and consider Murphy's Law before each use.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

13 (edited by carl_m1968 2016-05-07 21:28:31)

AZERATE wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

3D printers are not a toy, they are tools. And like any other tool, there are pros and cons to each design.
Tip of the iceberg, the 1ltr makerjuice will last a week at best. With a Filastruder, I can make one printer dance for a month on $10, and I can customize the color however I please. I'm not being a Debbie Downer on SLA, as I have operated one, but every electronic device is a potential fire hazard.

When using any tools, including printers, please exercise caution, and consider Murphy's Law before each use.

Well I guess your lucky and have no failed prints. Even after tweaking everything I can and getting a very good print, there is always that print that at 10 hours into a 20 minute print fails. That wasted a quarter of a roll. So in all honesty you get about the same mileage.. Since from my reading systems like the Form 1 rarely have failed prints.

I am not trying to upsale an SLA, I just think for those who have concerned of fire or long unattended prints the SLA/DLP type units are a better choice as the only hazard of fire are the basic electronics and you run the same risk with computer, TV, or stereo. I find the SLA sitting on a shelf in the home or shop much more appealing to the eyes than an FDM in a fire proof box.

Since I don't have a garage or shop and my printer is in my living room. I have decided to move to SLA myself. The apartments around the corner from me burned down last week. So I am going to try and minimize chances of that happening here on my part.

That being said my CTC dual and Kossel Mini are going up for sell to help with the cost offset of the Form 1.