Topic: Unable to resolve host atlas3d

That is the error I get when trying the last resort command line entry.  When I enter 'sudo nano /etc...' I get the WiFi config file with the SSID & PSK entries filled out.  Tried the No USB GUI entry - it returns wlan0 - 0.0.0.0
Tried 4 computers using the WiFi - returns 'Password May Be Wrong'  Same password I've used for over 10 years. 
As I said in another post, the home WiFi works OK, got a laptop, IPad, printer/scanner, numerous phones & one of my TVs working thru it.   

I'm STUCK!!

Ski

Ender 3 Pro

Re: Unable to resolve host atlas3d

what sort of wifi encryption are you using?
eg: WEP WPA1 WPA2
also, TKIP or AES?

if you select the wrong options it can act just like an incorrect password.

3 (edited by Ski52 2016-01-31 03:45:54)

I'm using WPA-PSK
Using the simplest way of doing it, the WiFi - there are no options available that I can see.

Ender 3 Pro

Back at it - again!  Day 3 of trying to connect to - anything.  Tried the 'easy' WiFi method - wrong password.  Tried the No USB Flashdrive method - found my WiFi net, waited 5 minutes to try to connect; press Network - just goes to wlan0 0.0.0.0.  Tried the terminal method; the saved WiFi config comes up with the correct SSID & PSK - can't resolve host atlas3d.  Tried wired ethernet - router don't see it! 
'Bout had it with this thing.......

Ender 3 Pro

When you say router doesn't see it, do you mean that the Pi doesn't pull an IP address or that it isn't listed in your router's web based software?  If you attach a monitor and login with a keyboard and type the following command, what does it list.

ipconfig

- Uriah

6 (edited by michaudtime 2016-02-02 13:34:44)

I was having similar problems, I'm like 90% sure it's a driver issue. Are you happening to be using the Ourlink little dongle? Because I switched to one that came with another Pi I had and it worked like a champ.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/59458/er … -host-none

This is the fix for the unable to resolve host error.

GOOD LUCK!

Solidoodle 3, Bulldog XL Direct Drive, Well Nut for Z axis, borosilicate glass, E3D V6 Hot end, Custom Encloser, Lawsy Carriages with Linear Bearings and Polished 8mm Chrome rods.

7 (edited by Frozen 2016-02-02 12:57:19)

if you're not getting an ip address with the ethernet cable, perhaps your router is not set up with dhcp?

what's your subnet on your network? ex: if your computer address is 192.168.a.x what is "a" ?
If you know this and you know that a particular "x" value (host number) is not being used, you can set up your pi with a static ip.

Thanx all for replies. 
Uriah - No the Pi does not get a DHCP assigned address.  There are currently 5 entries on the DHCP list on the router.  When I turn on the big TV 2 more will pop up, the TV & the Blu-Ray.  When my son rolls by another will show up for his Android phone.  So I'm pretty sure the DHCP function is working.  There are no additions when I boot the Pi with a cat5 cable attached.   
As far as ipconfig, from the pi@atlas3d prompt, I get -bash: ipconfig: command not found. 
Assuming I can find a reasonably priced replacement wireless USB dongle to try, how wouldI go about installing the driver onto the Pi's SD card?  I question that cuz the OurLink dongle comes with a driver disc which I assume is already installed on the SD card.

Ender 3 Pro

A little snooping - ifconfig shows 2 banks
1 - ethernet - mac addr, inet6 mac addr, TX & RX all 0. 
2 - Local Loopback inet addr 127.0.0.1, mask 255.0.0.0.  TX & RX packets both 392.

Ender 3 Pro

haven't tried it because I had another one laying around it worked but give this a shot. let me know if it works because I have another pi that I could use this one for

https://programmaticponderings.wordpres … pberry-pi/

Solidoodle 3, Bulldog XL Direct Drive, Well Nut for Z axis, borosilicate glass, E3D V6 Hot end, Custom Encloser, Lawsy Carriages with Linear Bearings and Polished 8mm Chrome rods.

11 (edited by Ski52 2016-02-03 05:36:02)

Will have to try this tomorrow.  Already see a problem.  Instructions say to connect to your Pi with an ethernet cable - I've been trying to do just that for near 4 days.  Will get anew cat5 cable tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. 
If I can't get it to connect, I may consider buying a new Pi - we'll see.  I've already got near 300 tied up, a few more bucks....??

Thanx for the response.

Ski

Ender 3 Pro

The command should have been ifconfig.  Also, after unplugging and replugging the network cable, run "dmesg" to see if anything was reported.

OK! New cat5 cable and I now have a wired connection.  Still doesn't do anything with the wireless.  Ifconfig shows eth0 with a viable net address - same one the router shows.  It also shows a local entry.
dmesg shows about 200 lines flashing by, the last one including 'link up, 100Mps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1

As I said, still no action with the wireless dongle.

Ender 3 Pro

I now have a wlan entry under the ifconfig command, no address, except a mac address.

Ender 3 Pro

15 (edited by pauljacobdegroot 2016-03-04 05:25:15)

hi Ski52 you need to install the appropriate drivers for the WiFi dongle. See the first post troubleshooting/wifi http://www.soliforum.com/topic/12209/wifi-not-working/  that describes how to download and install the correct driver. It requires you to look up your debian OS version since each version requires different drivers.

Atlas3D scanner, Reprap Prusa i2 3D printer