1 (edited by bobswika 2016-01-24 16:58:25)

Topic: Left Laser Not Picked Up

Something really strange happened this morning between scans.  All of a sudden with no setting changes the left laser is not detected by the camera.  It does come on but the camera does not see it.  I tried rebooting the machine a few times and also deleted all the scans that were saved just to make sure it wasn't a memory issue. 

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before.  Attached are a test images using just the left laser, just the right laser and then one with both lasers.  You can see that the left laser isn't detected at all, no red line showing up on the object. 

When I try to scan with just the left laser it doesn't pick up any image but it also scans much slower than if I do a scan with the right laser at the same settings, this speed difference started at the same time that the laser stopped being picked up by the camera.  Any idea to fix this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Post's attachments

bothlasers.JPG
bothlasers.JPG 15.4 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

leftlaser.JPG
leftlaser.JPG 15.48 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

rightlaser.JPG
rightlaser.JPG 13.23 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Left Laser Not Picked Up

I decided this was a good time to change out the left laser which produced a thicker line.  Both laser lines are now thin and crisp.  When I tested them the left laser was back, then I noticed in the setup page that the left laser X value was positive??  I put it back to negative and the left laser picture was gone again.  Back to positive and the picture returned.  Was there any software update that I missed?  Picture attached with the left and right laser X values set to 4.95,  Thanks,

Bobhttp://soliforum.com/i/?QQAK2T3.jpg

3 (edited by bobswika 2016-01-24 20:03:57)

I am running version 1.14 so I know there was no software change.  Maybe I accidentally changed a value on the setup page without realizing it.  Is it possible to go back to the defaults or would someone please post a screenshot of what the defaults are.  I attached my settings.  I know that left laser X is way off but if I put it negative then the left laser isn't seen by the camera.  Sorry for all the questions, I was getting good scans and I can't figure out what I did to break it. Thanks,

Bob

http://soliforum.com/i/?I6ph2gd.jpghttp://soliforum.com/i/?l6fNO6I.jpg

Sorry for being an idiot.  I installed the new left laser upside down.  I didn't even realize there was a correct way.  I rotated the laser 180 degrees and things are back to normal.  Thanks.

Bob

Here are my settings (setup Page). 

I'm not sure why all of the sudden the Left Laser started giving you problems, but one thing that looks weird is the value, not that it's not negative, but the huge discrepancy between the left and right.  I can understand a few 100ths of an inch, maybe even 1/8", but not 5/8". 

Are those numbers real, or something you entered just to see what happens?

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9607

Post's attachments

Setup Page.jpg 153.25 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

I was just playing around with the values and forgot to change them back. In reality they are a few hundredths off from each other. The left laser had a thicker line than the right so I changed it. I guess that's what I get for not keeping a copy of the original numbers. That won't happen again. Thanks a lot.

Bob

7 (edited by stefi 2016-03-17 04:58:13)

Unless its normal to always have the left lasser on when not scanning and goes off when scanning then i am having a problem with the left lasser, pin 4, tried a pi b,b+ and r pi 2 model b,exept the lasser stays on, tried replaced the chip several times, swapped the left wire for the right on the pins on the pihttp://soliforum.com/i/?NzHwKeX.jpg and then the right one stays on, tried diferent pins, the ones it makes contact with, they stay on to, tried changing pin numbers but comes back with denied, used a copper clad pcb, same happened, re downloaded freelss more than once, yet the same, updated raspbian, no change, tried on a bread board, same happened, the right lasser works fine until i switch the wires then the left works and right does not.even tried diferent sd cards.also tried led's on the board. and  different lassers.and i noticed that when it should be scanning the led is off, when it stops scanning the led comes on solid. lost count how many times i checked the wires.pulled all from th breadbord circuit out and started over to avoid dodgey wires, no diference. i would attempt to wire up a zum scan board but would not know the connections plus the problem i have is happening on 4 pi's.also, when i try calibrating the lassers, when the right lasser button is pressed it will turn off and on , the left lasser will not respond and stays on. tonight i formated the card yet again and started over, ripped all off the bread board and only reatatched the lasser circuit, no difference. begining to think this is normal

First, check that you don't have the same pin assigned to multiple things on the Setup page of the software.  If that's not the issue, then there's likely a wiring error.  Post a clearer breadboard picture of just how the ULN is connected to the Pi.

- Uriah

worked out the lasser part which has a wrong pin for the left lasser,.most places i searched has this pic. i wil try work out if the motor part is also wrong or not then post a pic of how it should be.http://soliforum.com/i/?5VvdyaP.png

worked out the lasser part, its not what it shows in the diagrammes posted on the net, shows 1 gpio pin completly wrong, will post a pic when i work out the rest although the pins for the motor also seem mixed up, nothing happens but if i pull pin 13, gpio 7 then the motor will spin up but unable to stop it, i have it as per diagramme.

The wiringPi pin numbers are not the same as the Broadcom numbers.

yeah I posted the reversed pin number thing and Pirvan replied correct numbers in another topic a few weeks ago. the software lately must be coming with the pins swapped from normal.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

I tried FreeLss on the pi 3 and found the default pin assignment does not match the wiring diagram that we find on the freelss website.
Only one laser was working and the stepper was making noise and the drive heated a lot. Then I found the pin assignment in the setting menu did not save my modifications. I ended changing the wiring and it worked.
I made this diagram corrected for the default one.
http://soliforum.com/i/?3leyeue.png

Hello,

What is the value of amps for the power supply of 12V and 5V?