Topic: e3d lite6 ptfe shift

First off, I love this hotend. Installed on my i3 many months ago and saw better quality prints, improved flow, and no more PLA clogging/motor skips. It's been a champ, the past 1.5 months it has been running non-stop!

Which leads to my issue, a customer wanted a print that was just a little too big. So, accepting the invisible challenge, I found a new extruder setup that gave me quite a bit more z height. Tested by printing a tall and thin print to make sure it would make it alright to the new height, which it did.

The ptfe liner was cut flush against the black collet after it was locked into place when I installed it on my original setup(the hotend was much closer to the extruder then), and now I wish I would have bought some extra ptfe because I should have run it right up to the extruder on the new setup, but I didn't.

I started the large print in PLA, and everything was going fine for a minute, then I noticed the filament would bend a little, cause the motor to skip. I went to check on my daughter quickly, and when I came back the filament was just bunching up between the extruder and hotend and the ptfe liner had been pushed up quite a bit, as shown in the photo.
http://soliforum.com/i/?09RFiVx.jpg

It's my assumption the I either didn't have the ptfe liner locked in like I thought I did, or the extruder was pushing filament into the hotend too quickly, and the resulting pressure pushed melted filament between the end of the ptfe liner and the walls of the heatsink.
http://soliforum.com/i/?u6S6R3C.jpg

Interested in what others think about this, and what I might be able to do to fix it.

Thanks!

FuseBox 1.5 CoreXY - e3dv6 - Graphic Smart Display
Solidoodle 2 - e3dv6 - Hobb Goblin - e3d Titan - lawsy carriages - Direct Drive Y Axis - T8 Z axis - OctoPi

Re: e3d lite6 ptfe shift

FYI, posted this on the e3d forum too.

Solidoodle 2 - e3dv6 - Hobb Goblin - e3d Titan - lawsy carriages - Direct Drive Y Axis - T8 Z axis - OctoPi

PTFE being pushed up means that the collet isn't grabbing the PTFE. You have to pull the collet up while pushing the PTFE down to ensure it is locked. If you cut the PTFE flush with the collet and pushed down on both, you left collet in the unlocked position when starting the print.

x-posting to e3d forum.

You'll now need to pull off the nozzle, pull out the PTFE and clean out the PLA in the heatsink.

Is that Kapton on your heater block?

Yeah it is, I was trying out a popular print fan on the previous print and it was cooling too much so I thought that might help insulate it from the airflow a little. Didn't work, and bad idea I'm guessing?

I'll want to heat up the hotend to remove the nozzle, correct?  Is there any particularly good method to removing the PLA from the heatsink once I get everything apart?

Kapton on the block for insulation is fine, as long as it isn't what holds in the thermistor.

Yes, the hotend needs to be up to temp to remove the nozzle. You should be able to melt out any PLA with a heat gun, after removing the thermistor and heater.

I think it's obvious I did this wrong the first time, so just that I'm clear on this(check, check, and check again), to lock the PTFE in place, I push the PTFE down while simultaneously pulling the collet up? After that, does the collet slide back down on its own, or do I need to push the collet only back into place?

Just had the Kapton on there for insulation, thanks for checking though, you never know what someone who doesn't know any better might do.

I was hoping to use this downtime to finally upgrade to the v6 and maybe the volcano. Any coupons? big_smile
Also, if I purchased the eruption pack, would I be able to use the heatsink from the lite6?

If the collet is in the down position, it is unlocked. If it is in the up position, it is locked.

Only coupon at the moment is 'reprap' for 5% of a v6.

Lite6 works with Volcano, its what I run in my ABS-only Solidoodle 3.

The collet has a lip at the top and that lip should have about a 1 mm gap between it and the hotend.  The force of the tube pushing into the hotend and the teeth on collet grabbing the tube push the collet up into a narrow portion (at top) of the hotend.  This is what squeezes the collet teeth into the tube and therefore preventing movement of the tube.  Some cut a small U-shaped shim out of a credit card and slide that between the metal of the hot end and the upper lip of the collet.  This forces the collet to remain in a position that allow those teeth to grab.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Top notch help!

The heatsink is the same for the v6 and the lite6, correct? If I get a volcano starter pack would I need to purchase the v6 heatbreak also, or is that for using the higher temps the v6 is capable of?

The heatsinks are different between the v6 and Lite6
The volcano and V6 use the same heatsink and heatbreak but the nozzles are different lengths.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

But the lite6 heatsink will still work with the volcano right? That's what I read from elmoret's comment above. Please let me know if I'm wrong, and thanks for all the help!

I believe it will, although haven't done this myself.

Yes, the Lite6 heatsink with Volcano is a go. That's the setup I've been running on the Solidoodle I have.

15 (edited by widespreaddeadhead 2016-01-22 15:00:24)

Last night I had time to pull everything apart, and tonight I can clean the PLA out of the heatsink. Everything went smooth, the only concern I have is when I pulled the PTFE out, it has black residue on it. After a very close inspection, I heed the warnings about PTFE very seriously, I could see that it wasn't melted and the inside of the tube wasn't damaged or discolored, only the outside from where it butts up against the nozzle up about 3-4mm. I can post a picture when I get home. I highest temp I ever run is some ABS at 235C and have only ever taken the hotend to 245C twice, to put on and take off the nozzle. Should I be running an autotune when I get the new PTFE?

That's likely some leakage from plastic you've been printing with, not the PTFE itself.

No need for an auto tune as the thermal properties of the hotend are unchanged.

Great! I ordered new PTFE and everything to make a v6 volcano(except the fan) from Filastruder last night. Plan on using that in my new 3d printer, when I buy or build one, and continue using the lite6 on my i3, since I've got orders pilling up. Thanks for all the help!

Received! Excited about all the new things I can print with a v6!

From my current config.h file:

// When temperature exceeds max temp, your heater will be switched off.
// This feature exists to protect your hotend from overheating accidentally, but *NOT* from thermistor short/failure!
// You should use MINTEMP for thermistor short/failure protection.
#define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 270
#define HEATER_1_MAXTEMP 245
#define HEATER_2_MAXTEMP 245
#define BED_MAXTEMP 200

What should I set the max temp to with the v6cano with its stock thermistor? 290/295?

290 is just fine. Between 295-300 is where you risk damaging the thermistor just from tem,p fluctuations during initial heating

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Thanks!

That'll be 20 bucks, cash only, no receipt big_smile

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!