Topic: Articulated Steampunk Robot

About a week ago, I came upon a really cool steampunk robot that was modeled in 3DS Max.  After exporting it to an STL, I tried printing it in one piece, but it didn't come out too well, primarily because it has some very small part and tons of overhangs.

So I decided to break it up into its components, while at the same time turning it into a fully articulated model.  Since there is no direct export that would preserve the solid bodies between 3DS Max and Solidworks, I had to work with STLs, so each part (hands, legs, head, etc) were imported into Solidworks, then joints were added between the components, then every parts was re-exported and an STL.

Because the joints are ball and socket type, the sockets need to be able to trap the ball inside.  The problem with that is that the materials we're likely to print with (ABS, PLA) are not very flexible, so you couldn't simply "pop" the ball in the socket, so I had to print some of the parts in halves that are to be glued together.

I will start posting the STLs as I print them, this way I can tweak them in case there are issues.  I'll also post my print settings.

For now, here is a teaser of what the robot will look like.  When finished it stands about 10" tall. 

This is a posed look, but since it's articulated, you should be ale to pose it any way you like.  The only exception will be the fingers, which will be positioned just as you see them, and maybe one other pose (probably open hand).

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9538

Post's attachments

Steampunk Robot MK II.JPG
Steampunk Robot MK II.JPG 92.79 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

2 (edited by pirvan 2016-01-19 15:00:29)

Re: Articulated Steampunk Robot

Here is the first installment, the main body.  These are the front and back halves, and they should be printed with the flat face down.  They shouldn't require any support, but if your printer has a hard time printing overhangs of a cylinder, then you should consider using support.  I did on mine just in case

Here are my Cura settings:
Layer height:       .1mm
Shell Thickness:  1.44mm ( 3 walls when using a .40mm nozzle). 
Infill:                   10%. 
Brim:                   6mm
Support:             15%, touching bed (supports the upper socket walls.

Update:

After I printed the torso parts, and tried to install the legs and arms, I realized that I forgot to account for the filament width. 

Basically the ball sockets were exactly the same diameter as the ball joints, but when the parts get printed, the filament width outsets the surface, thereby reducing the pocket diameter (for a .40nozzle, by 0.48mm.

So I uploaded the adjusted STL's.

If anyone is interested in the original parts (before adjustment) I can post them upon request.  If you prefer to use something like Kisslicer to slice, you could use the inset function, and set it to 0.5.  That should inset the surface, and provide a tiny bit of clearance.

Update 2:
I'm including the complete body (not split), and oriented for printing upright.  Ir should require support (shoulders, hips and Inside of the neck collar

Post's attachments

Robot Mark II (Torso - Back)-adjusted.STL 781.14 kb, 7 downloads since 2016-01-14 

Robot Mark II (Torso - Front)-adjusted.STL 869.13 kb, 7 downloads since 2016-01-14 

Robot Mark II (Torso)-adjusted.stl 1.41 mb, 9 downloads since 2016-01-19 

3 (edited by pirvan 2016-01-10 09:04:49)

Here are the head and jaw.  I actually printed the head in 2 pieces, left and right, this way I didn't have to use any support, but I'm posting both parts here, for those that would rather print it in one piece.

The jaw will need some support

Post's attachments

Robot Mark II (Head - Left & Right).stl 1.42 mb, 15 downloads since 2016-01-10 

Robot Mark II (Head).STL 1.25 mb, 13 downloads since 2016-01-10 

Robot Mark II (Jaw).STL 237.19 kb, 12 downloads since 2016-01-10 

very cool - thanks for sharing smile

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Here is an update.  I haven't abandoned this, and I plan on posting all the part, but I've been having all kinds of fitment problems and had to constantly go back to the drawing board and tweak the inter-locking parts.

I also ended up printing some parts multiple times trying to figure out the best way of printing and orienting the parts.  It's times like these that I wish I could afford a SLS printer.  Wouldn't have to worry about draft, insets or supports.

Anyway, I though I'd post a work in progress .  I got tired of referring to him as "the steampunk robot", so I named him Max.

So here's Max almost ready for his curtain call.  He's just waiting for his feet, and left arm and hand.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9569

Post's attachments

Max-001.jpg 475.23 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

6 (edited by pirvan 2016-01-19 04:18:40)

Part # 2 - Max's hands and arms.

So I posted some combined STL's They've already been cut and positioned.  The shoulder STL contains the shoulder & bicep, and a 4mm pin.  The pin should be glued inside the bicep, but not in the shoulder.  This allows for additional rotation and freedom of movement.

I Sliced the parts with Cura, 15% infill, no support, 6mm brim, .8mm top & bottom (or whatever works for you)

The other parts are the forearm and the hand, the forearm ball fits in the socket of the hand, I just flared out the edges of the ball socket a tiny bit, which allowed me to simply pop the arm in.  The elbow piece (disc fits inside the elbow cup of the bicep.  That one will not fit easily.  I used an Exacto knife to split the elbow socket enough to spread it open and insert the arm.  Once you have the parts printed you'll get the idea.

For these parts I turned on support.  Even though the hand already has some built in support for the fingers, it can still use some support.  So turn support on touching bed only.

Post's attachments

Left Arm & Hand.stl 1.07 mb, 7 downloads since 2016-01-19 

Left Shoulder.stl 885.24 kb, 7 downloads since 2016-01-19 

Right Arm & Hand.stl 1.07 mb, 7 downloads since 2016-01-19 

Right Shoulder.stl 885.24 kb, 7 downloads since 2016-01-19 

7 (edited by pirvan 2016-01-19 06:08:54)

And here is Max, posing for the camera.

He's complete, but I'm currently reprinting his hands in slightly different positions.  When he stands upright, he's just a little over 10" tall.  The Coke bottle in the picture is a small 8oz. bottle.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9574

P.S.  Click the image if you want to see the higher res version.

Post's attachments

Max-002sm.jpg
Max-002sm.jpg 363.72 kb, 3 downloads since 2016-01-19 

Part # 3 - Max's Legs & Feet

Here are the last pieces, the legs.  Each set (left & right) is made from 3 parts, the thigh with the hip joint, the lwer leg with the knee joint, and the foot.  They can be printed without any support (the lower leg has built in supports).

Same print settings as before.

The hip ball should pop into the socket of the body with just a little force.  The foot and knee are a different beast altogether, originally I had planned on printing the lower leg in 2 parts (left and right), but just couldn't get the inside surfaces clean, so I resorted to printing the socket parts upright, then using brute force to insert them. 

Yes, the socket sides cracked a bit, but I then glued the split with some acetone.  Alternately one could heat it up with a hair drier until it softens up a bit, then try to force the joints together.

This is it.  If you have any questions ask, if you do print it, please post some photos.

Post's attachments

Left & Right Feet.stl 1.06 mb, 6 downloads since 2016-01-19 

Robot Mark II (Leg - Left) (2 piece + support).stl 926.25 kb, 8 downloads since 2016-01-19 

Robot Mark II (Leg - Right) (2 piece + support).stl 926.25 kb, 6 downloads since 2016-01-19 

Robot Mark II (Thigh - Left).stl 447.05 kb, 7 downloads since 2016-01-19 

Robot Mark II (Thigh - Right).stl 447.05 kb, 6 downloads since 2016-01-19 

9 (edited by pirvan 2016-01-24 03:01:39)

I was playing around with the model and I thought it would be cool to have articulated fingers, so I  made a version of the hand with articulated fingers. 

Once again, it's times like this I wish I had a better printer, like a SLA or better yet SLS, but I did manage to print all the little parts.  The hinges/knuckles were designed to take 1.75mm diameter pins (think raw filament).  So far I printed the left hand only.

It did require a bit of cleanup and filing, but it came out OK and functional.  I just need to cut the excess pin lengths, but otherwise it's done. 

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9591

Post's attachments

Articulated hand.jpg
Articulated hand.jpg 488.89 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Very nice.

If you build it they will come. Then they will make fun of it, tell you it's not worth doing and go home and try to copy you.
If a picture is worth a thousand words then being there is worth a thousand pictures.

(2) Stock Makerbot Z18s, Filastruder w/Melt Filter, Filawinder, Autodesk Inventor Design Suite 2014 .........so far.

And now, for a little bit of Shakespeare...

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9600

Post's attachments

Shakespeare.jpg
Shakespeare.jpg 299.17 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

I do really wish right now, that I could hit that like/plus/heart/thumbs-up button on this!

Also, nice models, another addition to my list of posable must-prints. Thanks for sharing!

Don: Folger Tech 2020 Kossel Rev A + Borosilicate + Snow Effector
        Davinci 1.0 + Repetier : Filastruder
        SD3 + RAMPS + Lawsy Carriages + E3D + Borosilicate + ... : Cupcake

Well written and fantastic articulation of the model.  I doest think we have a thespian in our midst.

If you build it they will come. Then they will make fun of it, tell you it's not worth doing and go home and try to copy you.
If a picture is worth a thousand words then being there is worth a thousand pictures.

(2) Stock Makerbot Z18s, Filastruder w/Melt Filter, Filawinder, Autodesk Inventor Design Suite 2014 .........so far.

loving the robots! really nice piece of writing.

Blows me away, very cool.