Topic: Layer Separation

The other portion of this small box printed - acceptable.  What is causing the layer separation?
Using ABS 95/216 completely enclosed print chamber.  Now that it has cooled, it is more pronounced.  It separated on different layers around the whole box....

Thanx for any help

http://soliforum.com/i/?idEke1c.jpg

Ender 3 Pro

2 (edited by AZERATE 2015-12-21 01:40:34)

Re: Layer Separation

Thin walls over a tall height are not friends. Up your bed temp to 97 minimum to build more heat in your chamber, try to modify the box so it has some infill, and use a precise Z layer height in accordance with your threaded rod. If you are still using the stock 5/16" rod, they are as follows:
.0978 = .01 height
.1976 = .02 height
.2963 = .03 height
.3951 = .04 height

EDIT: 216c sounds a bit low for ABS. Have you performed a PID tuning? And did you update the firmware when you upgraded to your E3D?

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

fully agree on the hot end temp being too low - with an E3D you should be more in the 230-240C range. most of my ABS, from various manufacturers, runs 235-237C

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Sorry it took so long to respond SHMBO's honey-do list looks like a roll of toilet paper....
OK...  97 is no prob with the deck, I have a third party/home made deck that heats to 95 in about 3 min, but until now, I haven't had cause to mess with the firmware.  The E3DV6 was OK with what I printed, it's now in the box awaiting a rebuild.  The Lite has been working fine, until this last batch of filament, it seems.
AZ - I do run 1976 for Z height.  I could,'t get much over 220 or so with the stock firmware.  So I have spent most of the day trying in vain to upgrade the current firmware.  I am doing it on the Bosses' Win10 as Arduino can't find com 3 trying from Win8.1 on an IMac - go figure. 
I used to program years ago so I am not totally oblivious or paranoid about doing it.  Try as I may all I can come up with is the errors listed below.  I have only changed the thermistor type to 5 from 6, and the max heat to 295, from 225. 

http://soliforum.com/i/?jhnB7UC.jpg

Wide open for suggestions here...

Thanx
Ski

Ender 3 Pro

Make sure your host is not still connected.. There should be nothing connected to the printer when you do this..

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

The thermistor for the E3D is a 5, not a 6. If you choose a different sensor than 5, you will start seeing strange behavior.

Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on

Carl - I'll give that a try a little later - gotta take the Boss to eat someplace. 

AZ - I changed it from 6 to 5.  What else should I worry about when I get this this to go like it should?

Thanx
Ski

Ender 3 Pro

That depends on a few scenarios. Let's take it one step at a time to avoid confusion and spare me 45 minutes of typing hypothetical scenarios wink

I gotta be doing something wrong! 
Just turned the printer on, didn't connect it to any software and tried again to upload the firmware.  Got the same errors as last time.  This is what I am doing...

Arduino>Tools>Board - Sang W/AT644P
Tools>Port - Com 3
Load Marlin.pde
In config.h Change thermistor & max temp.
Sketch>Verify
When done - press Upload box in Arduino and it fails....

What am I doing wrong?

Thanx
Ski

Ender 3 Pro

Ski52 wrote:

I gotta be doing something wrong! 
Just turned the printer on, didn't connect it to any software and tried again to upload the firmware.  Got the same errors as last time.  This is what I am doing...

Arduino>Tools>Board - Sang W/AT644P
Tools>Port - Com 3
Load Marlin.pde
In config.h Change thermistor & max temp.
Sketch>Verify
When done - press Upload box in Arduino and it fails....

What am I doing wrong?

Thanx
Ski

Try using Arduino 1.0.5 and see if that works. The newest version is not that friendly with some of the older hardware that printers use.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Are you saving before you verify?

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Carl - I have tried 1.0.5 -  there seems to be no easy option to upgrade like on 0022.  I imagine  it's there, but I'm looking in the wrong place.

Ward - I have saved it, but then  can't find it, marlin.pde, is no longer in the place I took it from - in the Marlin directory it's gone.  I've had to reload and re-unzip the mlaws...  file to get another copy of marlin.phe 
Assuming I find where I've saved it, do I use the saved copy, or the copy in memory?

Ender 3 Pro

This is the version of Marlin you want https://github.com/ozadr1an/Solidoodle- … in_v1_beta
It's simple on your board unless you ended up with one of the few Sangs without a bootloader.  When did you get your printer?  What revision is the board?

The process is
Download the firmware and open Marlin.ino (.pde) it with Arduino 022
Go to configuration.h and make your thermistor change and max temp change. Choose the correct board number and set SD2 or 3
In tools select the correct board and com port.
Click save
Click verify
Hit the reset button on the board
Click upload.
That's it.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

I got the printer for Christmas 2013 - it's rev E.
I'll be back at this tomorrow.

Ender 3 Pro

It says Sanguinololu rev1.3on the board?
Or does it say Solidoodle MotherBoard rev-E?  That's a printerboard so you'll need to use the printerboard instructions. http://www.soliwiki.com/Updating_Solido … structions

Maybe thats where I've been going wrong.  It says SB MB rev-E...
Let me have a go with the other instructions.  Back later........

Ender 3 Pro

Been dinging with this for 2 more days!  Trying to follow the Wiki instructions for PrinterBoard Update.  Got the Arduino; got the Teenyduino; got the firmware (real PIA to find) - can't find the BootloaderHID.  The preovided link sends me to a 404.  Did some searching on the lincomatic site and did find a HID bootloader, but the chip description didn't look familiar.  One of the posters said he borked the upgrade, and had a hell of a time getting the board back - I don't need that!

Can someone provide the proper link, or even the bootloader by Email? 

Another point - there in no 'install' routine for Arduino as they keep referring to.  I unzip the file, and click on the exe file, and it runs. 

I'll keep at this til I get it.....  I hope!!

Thanx
Ski

Ender 3 Pro