1 (edited by Rincewind 2013-02-11 19:26:02)

Topic: Slicing on a remote computer with RepetierHost (Linux)

Hi all,

I think it is a common setup to have a relatively slow computer controlling your Solidoodle, with the drawback that slicing has to be done on another machine or it takes forever.

So I installed Slic3r on a remote powerful computer and made RepetierHost call it through ssh... And now I have a 20x improvement in slicing times (I was using an Atom, now I use a headless server with a Core2Quad)

This is quite straightforward under Linux, it should also work on Mac with minor modifications and it can be done with Windows as well but it needs quite a few extra programs to be installed. Here's the howto:

CONFIGURATION:
1 (Remote). Install slic3r on the remote machine, say under /home/remoteUser/Slic3r. Make sure that the remote machine has SSH and X forwarding enabled and also enable RSA authentication
2 (Remote). Create a repetier work folder (eg /home/remoteUser/repetierWork) on the remote computer.
3 (Local). Install sshfs and make sure your user belongs to the "fuse" group.
4 (Local). Copy the attached scripts to your local computer, in your home folder (make sure they are executable).
5 (Local). Create a mount point for the remote work folder (eg /home/localUser/remoteWorkDir)
6 (Local). Create a mount point for the remote slicer settings folder (eg /home/localUser/remoteSlic3rConf)
7 (Local). In RepetierHost, under Settings->General settings, set the mount point of the remote work folder as work folder
8 (Local). In RepetierHost, tab "Slicer", click on Setup and choose the script mySlic3r in your local folder as Slic3r executable
9 (Local). Modify the file remoteSlic3r_config to reflect the actual folder names and remote username and host that you chose.

USAGE:
1. Execute mount_remote before using Slic3r
2. Use RepetierHost enjoying the fast slicing
3. Execute umout_remote when you are finished

The scripts are very simple. Just check what they are doing before running them, I take no responsibility if you wipe your computer!

Post's attachments

mount_remote 258 b, 9 downloads since 2013-02-11 

mySlic3r 199 b, 9 downloads since 2013-02-11 

remoteSlic3r_config 311 b, 7 downloads since 2013-02-11 

umount_remote 224 b, 6 downloads since 2013-02-11 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.