Topic: Press extruder stepper motor

After struggle after struggle I almost have my press working. Now it's the extruder stepper motor. Does anyone know of a good place to get a new stepper motor and what motor I need for the extruder?

Re: Press extruder stepper motor

Just out of curiosity, have you tried swapping the motor out for, say the X axis driver and see if it runs when you jog the X axis manually?

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

The problem is the extruder clicking under very low resistance. I've tried adjusting the trimpots but I can't get it high enough. The extruder pins are all messed up and burned from when I first ran the printer(that was fun) I'm guessing it's a bad connection but I'll try hooking it up to the y axis.

If the contacts on the motor itself (not the cable) are messed up...
The extruder motor's label says SM42HT38-1684AC-01, and googling that yields specs at http://shop.myhobby-cnc.de/media/pdf/nema17.pdf, and some alibaba hits.

Nothing remarkable here - NEMA 17, 38mm high bipolar hybrid stepping motor. Match up the specs as best you can.

Well the more I test things the less certain I am that it's the actual stepper motor. But I still don't know what's causing the skipping.

http://us.stepperonline.com/nema-17-ste … p-166.html
The given link should be comparable. From the same site, you could also get a .9 degree motor for an extra $4 http://us.stepperonline.com/9deg-nema-1 … p-267.html

The former would be more of a drop in replacement as far as settings. The latter would require some additional tuning, but no new carriages or extruder. Only the length is different and not by much.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Jadonm1 wrote:

Well the more I test things the less certain I am that it's the actual stepper motor. But I still don't know what's causing the skipping.

Are you able to extrude with the nozzle in free air (not touching the build plate) without clicking?  If so, perhaps you are too close to the build plate for your first layer.

Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate

IronMan wrote:
Jadonm1 wrote:

Are you able to extrude with the nozzle in free air (not touching the build plate) without clicking?  If so, perhaps you are too close to the build plate for your first layer.

Also check the set screw on the extruder gear...

Yes it does extrude fine in park away from the bed. The problem happens only during the print. And by increasing the z offset I've managed to print the first layer fine, but it starts again on the next layers. Maybe my e3d v6 Bowden setup is simply causing to much resistance.

Jadonm1 wrote:

Yes it does extrude fine in park away from the bed. The problem happens only during the print. And by increasing the z offset I've managed to print the first layer fine, but it starts again on the next layers. Maybe my e3d v6 Bowden setup is simply causing to much resistance.

If you heat up to extrude and release tension on the idler bearing at the extruder, then can you extrude by hand pressure just pushing the filament into the Bowden tube?

Yup I can, it goes pretty hard though. Now I feel sorry for the stepper motor:P how can I cut down on resistance through the bowden tube?

One thing to make sure of is that your PTFE tubing is seated fully into the recess at the top of the Heat Brake of your E3D.  If it is not, this may cause resistance.

Out of curiosity, are you using ABS or PLA? and what temperature?

Solidoodle 4-Mostly stock running off headless Raspberry Pi with Octoprint

Morganism wrote:

Out of curiosity, are you using ABS or PLA? and what temperature?

ABS at 250C

That's a bit on the high side...most normally run 240-245.  Has it ever clogged on you?

16 (edited by Morganism 2015-12-08 17:34:13)

If you have a stock extruder, try going lower. Start at 220-230, but the thermistor in Solidoodles is placed far away from the heater, and the temperature is actually higher than what it is usually showing on the screen. I usually run ABS at 200-210 and PLA at 175-185. If the temperature is too high it could cause problems like what you are seeing.

He's running an E3D… Look at his signature

Damn, missed that and I looked in his post for that too. Still would like to see what happens at 225.

19 (edited by IronMan 2015-12-08 19:04:18)

Yep...I've run some ABS filaments pretty well at around 230-235

I lower'd the temp to 225C and it did good till the 3rd layer, then "click click click click" And it still feeds filament through pretty hard. I'm about ready to make a direct drive mount or something.

I want to make sure I read your earlier posts correctly. When the head is parked in a home position it will extrude with no problem? It is only when you start to print that it has a problem? All at the same temperature?

If that is true, I believe you have a software/firmware setting that is incorrect because it is mechanically working in the home position.

If you are seeing improvement, but not correction at 225--it may simple not be low enough and your temperature is still too high.

In either case, I do not believe a direct drive would fix you problem. If it is something drive related, mostly likely the gear that feeds the filament in is stripped and might need to be replaced. However, if that were true you would be getting the clicking almost all the time, it would not work differently in a parked position than in a running position.