1 (edited by greenRobot 2015-12-06 07:24:03)

Topic: is solidoodle still a working company? are we all screwed ?

I have an order that has been pending for weeks and then several support tickets for replacements parts that are intended to fix the solidoodle press defects i ordered that didnt work properly out of the box since may2015.
I have been waiting months for a basic response.

so far they have taken my money and I have heard nothing back no email responses nothing.
I have tried to call , I have tried to email them nothing. 

Did I just get ripped off ?

Re: is solidoodle still a working company? are we all screwed ?

from
Solinonymous 2015-10-29 12:56:01

Former Solidoodle employee here, saw this thread and felt compelled to let everyone know what's going on - at least as far as I know, since Solidoodle doesn't say anything unless it's good news. You guys have pretty much figured it out though, Solidoodle is out of cash.

It started with the Press, which without getting into too much detail, was/is a complete disaster. Production tapped out most of our funds and the port delays meant that we weren't able to re-coup those costs as quickly as we needed. Plus, the Press pre-order campaign meant that we were pretty much shipping the printers at a net loss.

Around this time they started sporadically missing payroll here and there, but there was talk about bringing in investors so I figured we would tough it out until the round closed and once we had some operating capital we'd be able to recover. Well we closed the round, hooray! I see another poster did some digging and noticed that we refiled as a C-corp, this was part of finalizing the investment.

Turns out most of the funding was used to pay off debts and it wasn't long before the prospect of missing payroll again became a reality. Last month they called a company meeting and laid off pretty much everyone (myself included) except for those with shares and the accounting department (who were put on part-time).

Obviously there's a whole lot more to the story but the bottom line is that things don't look good. If you have an unfulfilled order, unfortunately, I wouldn't get my hopes up.  If you're looking for a refund, I would start exploring other avenues to recoup (bank, credit card, etc) because there isn't any money there, and even if there was, refunds are not very high up on the list of priorities. Spare part orders are a craps shoot depending on the part.

So that's that. I wish I came here bearing better tidings but that's the truth. I love the community here at Soliforum and it was frustrating that we weren't allowed to share with you all the realities of the situation, so I figured it was the least I could do.

Thanks greenRobot, really appreciate some truth at last, it really sucks and I'm really sorry about your layoff. Its such a bummer since i really think the company had much potential. Anyway, i got one of the first Press printers during the pre-sale, i got it exchanged for a "later-and-upgraded" models, which has been printing quite ok until a week ago that the extruder started showing temps of 375.5ºC as soon as i connected to the printer, the extruder is cold, of course, so something is broken there now, i submitted a ticket on the Solidoodle's support site (no reply yet, as expected), and i suppose i should not put my hopes up.

Just out of curiosity, what department where you working at there?

sigilo wrote:

Thanks greenRobot, really appreciate some truth at last, it really sucks and I'm really sorry about your layoff. Its such a bummer since i really think the company had much potential. Anyway, i got one of the first Press printers during the pre-sale, i got it exchanged for a "later-and-upgraded" models, which has been printing quite ok until a week ago that the extruder started showing temps of 375.5ºC as soon as i connected to the printer, the extruder is cold, of course, so something is broken there now, i submitted a ticket on the Solidoodle's support site (no reply yet, as expected), and i suppose i should not put my hopes up.

Just out of curiosity, what department where you working at there?

greenRobot took that post from a different thread. There are many threads being made about the same situation right now. Please see this thread, where that post is from: http://www.soliforum.com/topic/12450/qu … ny/page/2/

FuseBox 1.5 CoreXY - e3dv6 - Graphic Smart Display
Solidoodle 2 - e3dv6 - Hobb Goblin - e3d Titan - lawsy carriages - Direct Drive Y Axis - T8 Z axis - OctoPi

As wideSpreadDeadHead said,I dug this comment out of another thread, the original poster "Solinonymous" clams to be someone who used to work at solidoodle.

At face value this is all we really have to go off of as to why the sudden black out.
Its posted here to hopefully make it easier for people to get some piece of mind.

Just checked and solidoodle will not be at CES this year. Last 2 years they were. Even las year during the Solipress problems they were still there.

Hi, Just wondering if this is a good place to post my story or if I should make a new thread. Here it is.

I ordered my Solidoodle Press 10/02/14 for $499.90 the payment went through right then and   there and I was really exited  for my new 3D Printer. As time ticked down to my printer coming in the mail I couldn't wait, when the time came I started getting worried that it was approaching 90 days. After 90 days my bank cant help. 4 months later 02/09/15 I finally   got it in the mail and I quickly set it up. but then as everybody already knows I couldn't print anything without something going wrong so I started doing research and emailing back and forth with Solidoodle. Eventually that got me no where and 150 emails later they told me to send it back (November 2015). about 4 weeks ago I sent the printer back costing $76. I have yet to hear a reply back from them and I'm starting to think I never will. So hear I am, about more than a year later and no working printer or refund or broken printer. year ago me has learned a lot about 3d printing now and I just want my money back so that I can build my own now.

Thank you,
Chandler

You will most likely never see it again. Call your credit card company asap and raise a stink, thats the only way.

awesome_donut wrote:

Hi, Just wondering if this is a good place to post my story or if I should make a new thread. Here it is.

I ordered my Solidoodle Press 10/02/14 for $499.90 the payment went through right then and   there and I was really exited  for my new 3D Printer. As time ticked down to my printer coming in the mail I couldn't wait, when the time came I started getting worried that it was approaching 90 days. After 90 days my bank cant help. 4 months later 02/09/15 I finally   got it in the mail and I quickly set it up. but then as everybody already knows I couldn't print anything without something going wrong so I started doing research and emailing back and forth with Solidoodle. Eventually that got me no where and 150 emails later they told me to send it back (November 2015). about 4 weeks ago I sent the printer back costing $76. I have yet to hear a reply back from them and I'm starting to think I never will. So hear I am, about more than a year later and no working printer or refund or broken printer. year ago me has learned a lot about 3d printing now and I just want my money back so that I can build my own now.

Thank you,
Chandler

My guess is they turned yours around to one of the many others waiting for one. Yep as Brad says, annoy your credit card company and ask them if they want to see the email trail as well.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Thanks Guys.....  Don't think I will be ordering one at this time.

they owe shipping too. and any time you ship anything buy insurance etc so at least the USPS can pay for it when it vanishes

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Update,
UPS lost my package and opened a investigation. If the printer is not found with in 10 days they will either replace or refund the cost of the printer this is UPS policy. obviously I will choose refund if this happens.

Update,
UPS found my package that I shipped to Solidoodle and is about to send it back to me.

Also breaking news, I just now revived a email back from Solidoodle asking me where and when I sent it to them. I just now emailed them back telling them that I sent it to the return address (14501 E Artesia Blvd La Mirada CA 90638).

I'm debating weather or not I should go ahead and send it to the right address once I get an email back because of how stable Solidoodle is right now.

IMHO, if I were you I would not expect to get my money back from Solidoodle. If you send the printer back, I do not know if you will get it back or if it will be fixed if you do. I think your best option would be to keep the printer.  You can post what is wrong on these forums. (If you haven't done so already) That is going to be your best form of help. If you know what is broken, or have diagnosed the problem, get replacement parts that are not from Solidoodle and use the opportunity to upgrade.

Solidoodle 4-Mostly stock running off headless Raspberry Pi with Octoprint

Morganism wrote:

IMHO, if I were you I would not expect to get my money back from Solidoodle. If you send the printer back, I do not know if you will get it back or if it will be fixed if you do. I think your best option would be to keep the printer.  You can post what is wrong on these forums. (If you haven't done so already) That is going to be your best form of help. If you know what is broken, or have diagnosed the problem, get replacement parts that are not from Solidoodle and use the opportunity to upgrade.

Seconding this. Even if you send it and they actually have the cash to fund people working on your machine, I bet it will be very low priority.

Update,
I got my printer back from UPS. Bad news #1 they found it, bad news #2 it is all beat up and scratched, and just look at the box they brought it back to me in. I still can't believe it. http://soliforum.com/i/?DWpegyd.jpg

I am going up to my UPS store tomorrow and asking for my money back on shipping and reporting it as damaged. When all of this is over I am thinking about trying to fix the things that are wrong with it or just sell it as is and buy a different my well built printer.

Thank you,
I'm up for any advise or ideas. I live in Houston, Texas.

Post's attachments

broke.jpg
broke.jpg 97.25 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Get us pictures of the printer when you get to that point.  That way we can better advise you on your options.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

DANG DUDE! you sure the USPS didnt get a hold of that box? I smell Postal postman like Newman all over that.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Someone went postal on the box, damn!

FuseBox 1.5 CoreXY - e3dv6 - Graphic Smart Display
Solidoodle 2 - e3dv6 - Hobb Goblin - e3d Titan - lawsy carriages - Direct Drive Y Axis - T8 Z axis - OctoPi

awesome_donut wrote:

Update,
I got my printer back from UPS. Bad news #1 they found it, bad news #2 it is all beat up and scratched, and just look at the box they brought it back to me in. I still can't believe it.

Could be worse. I got a box delivered once with a tire track mysteriously running directly across a strange flattened place in the box :-).

dang!  o.O
what does the printer look like?

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

I would have flat out refused the shipment, thats crazy.

Delivery drivers throwing boxes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM3SRG7D21Y

Ultimaker S3.

I'm working with UPS still on getting a refund but I need help. Does any one still have the original packaging for their Solidoodle Press? I'm asking this because I need picture(s) of the packaging that I used that is no longer in the box I shipped so that UPS knows that it was well packed.
I would appreciate it big time if someone could help me out in a timely manner.

Thank you,

Don't know if you found them yet, but there are a lot of unboxings on youtube.  I would look there.

Of course I know what I'm doing.  I googled it.