1 (edited by Heartlander 2015-11-29 18:09:12)

Topic: Ditch SketchUp

Okay, first of all, I love you guys (that means gals, too), you know that right? Sure you do. I ain't no hater. Except when it comes to crummy software. Or bad design.

In My Humble Opinion, after having used many of the breed, SketchUp is a great little 2D drawing program that is a poor choice for 3D drawing. Why? It creates meshes which we then have to try to convert into solids so they can be printed. And we've all experienced what that is like, frustration rules.

With the skillset you now have in SketchUp, you can easily transition over to 123D Design and get a "solid", non-flaky Solid Modeler. Your drawing starts as a solid, not a mesh. It is ready to print as soon as you are.

For Mac, PC or iPad.

It is free.

There is a series of five well-made YouTube videos that will teach you everything you need to know to be proficient in 123D Design.

It is made by Autodesk, a premier CAD software biggie. The skills you learn for Design can migrate up to their industrial strength CAD software so it is a shrewd move if you fancy a career in CAD or 3D.

Autodesk support for 123D Design is excellent. I frequently discuss ideas directly with the guy in charge of Design development and a couple of my suggestions have made their way into the product. So, they listen, what a concept!

Design is a member of a larger 123D product family that includes a Scan and Capture program, Printed Circuit Board design program, Sculpt and more. Yeah, TinkerCAD too.

http://www.123dapp.com/

About TinkerCad. I have no problem with it. It has surely brought masses of good folks into the 3D hobby. But, why go there when you can learn Design just as easily and get a much better migration path upward (to AUTOCAD and other fine high end systems) and outward to other related products (Make, Catch, Sculpt and Circuits)?

I hate to see folks continue with a frustrating (to me) program when a much better way is at your fingertips. You have more fun when you don't have to deal with crashes, conversion and printing problems. That stuff goes way with 123D Design.

But that's just me. And, remember, I love you. My mother loves you. My wife loves... wait.

Robox printer, HICTOP (Prusa i3 variant) Model 3DP17 printer, ELEK 2.5W laser engraver, AutoDesk 123D Design, Windows 10

Re: Ditch SketchUp

I have to agree on the ease of use with 123D Design.
I tried several different free programs when I first got into 3D printing. Most were just frustrating to try to use. 123D Design was about the easiest to learn, and once I got a grasp of how it worked (didnt take long) i am able to create some fairly complicated things with relative ease, and have yet to have a problem with an stl file created in it (as in no manifold issues, no missing areas, no problems slicing).

That is not to say that it doesn't have limitations, because it does, but for the most part, it works quite well.

That said, I also use Blender to tweak existing stl files. More complicated to learn, but a very useful tool in the arsenal.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

3 (edited by n2ri 2015-11-29 22:03:35)

also Meshmixer etc. all have a learning curve some harder than others. but I have downloaded files done in all forms and apps and the main reason they fail as STL when tested in like Netfab. is not the fault of the program etc. its user error due to inexperianced users uploading their test projects as if they are ready to haul people to mars in their perfectly designed objects LMAO. I follow, friend, bookmark, save everything I can about a designer when I find one that is truely great and they are very few and far between. like maybe a dozen or so in all of Thingiverse. and 1-2 on other file repositorys. (I dont claim to be a designer myself though I have done a few) but as a 3D printer owner/operator I know when I get an near perfect STL to work with with none or few repairs needed b4 slicing and printing perfect every time and not just 1 or 2 files by same designer.

that said I have and can take a decent Scetchup file and turn it into a usable STL easier than a poorly done STL from any other format/app. just gotta know how. there are lots of things that people screw up while designing and its mostly simple steps made wrong along the way, and you have to know what and how to look for them.

#1 is hidden geometry. seems many use it as erase/delete or a way to prevent others stealing file. time consuming but easy to fix.

#2 and this goes for any design app. misalignment of triangle mesh by layer not closing holes. this requirs lots of practice how to see/correct the error.

#3 grouping too many objects or incorrectly aligned grouping/merging. this can be very hard to fix afterwards and impossible if not in original form/program this is why we need as many of these programs as possible.

#4 modifying/converting bad files and loosing much of the original model needed to correct errors, plus not saving each change so you can go back later if needed.

#5 there are dozens of so called 3D file formats (some only 2D) and some are made in apps only available at high cost and not able to export into usable format like STL. MAX for example.

#6 each time you convert/export a file to another format the filters toss a bit more needed info. kinda like making copy of copies, soon you have nothing. then when attempting repairs much of object gets covered up until it no longer looks as intended.

this is just some top issues I find in 90% of 3D files online. this became very evident when searching yobI3D.com a 3D file repository search engine that looks for up to 20 dif file types (note sites you have to register on are not listed in results, like 123design models etc) note be sure your web/computer can handle large streaming data or it will freeze often when all the pages thumnails start loading.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

I have to agree with the OP.
I just started using 123D Design . but it is easier to use than the other  free  programs. Probably because it is an autodesk product. I have also spent a little time on Inventor. A lot more power and featured but likely could never afford the ticket price.
Free cad is not the easiest to use. Sketchup produced a file that would not slice.
OS Cad is great for programmers .
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

It is indeed past time for me to move on from sketchup.  123Design is downloading now.  Does it have a built in stl importer or is it a patch to download?

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

6 (edited by n2ri 2015-11-30 09:01:45)

I use about 6 dif programs all free and not dependent upon online use like some. I find some have features needed to fix things others dont have in their toolbox. so we must learn all of them best we can for improving success.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

7 (edited by n2ri 2015-11-30 09:14:41)

I have also imported some STL converted files into scetchup to use its filters and editing tools to get rid of clutter designers left. then export back into stl to slice and print after checking with Netfab. I dont toss any old apps etc but save them for use latter. its why I dont jump into every new version of Windows etc. I have old programs and peripherals that require old software etc to use them and they are more reliable than most newer stuff.

so dont abandon anything when upgrading. maybe archive for latter at most. heck I still find use for microsoft paint instead of all my newer similar apps as I know more of its abilities. kind like Nintendo's Mario Paint, me and my sons became experts at years ago. most basic features of any program stay the same. just more refined graphics or sound or memory etc like anything.

I agree that 123D Design is a solid notch up from Sketchup...However, being a Solidworks devotee at my day job, true parametric modeling features are hard to get away from once you're used to it.

Check out OnShape...This is about as good as Solidworks, and it is free.

www.onshape.com

I know that some feel uncomfortable about a completely cloud-based system, and that over time they may force you to pay or your files are history, etc.  I don't think that will be the case.  I've been on for about a year and the product capabilities are amazing for the price.

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

@ mdrVB6 - 123D Design will export STL files directly - no need for any additional plug-ins, it is built in.

the problem I have with cloud based services (aside from the privacy thing) is that I live in the boonies and internet services are not really good enough for those kinds of applications. We do not have access to high speed cable, or even DSL, connections that are, for the most part, rock solid stable. This is what the creators of the cloud based systems are failing to understand - not everyone has access to solid internet services to be able to use these programs reliably.

Our service is a wireless type, and occasionally drops signal for several minutes at a time. Granted, it is far and away much better than the satellite service we used to have, but still has it's share of issues.

I dont want to spend hours creating a model only to lose parts of it due to service drop out. This is why I prefer local (on MY pc) programs for modeling.

If I could afford Solidworks, I would love to have it. I have worked with models that were created in it and it produces some great stuff. Unfortunately, it is priced way out of my range. sad

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

I started running into too many limitations with Sketchup about a year ago, been looking for an alternative that would provide features I need but not require a PHD in engineering to learn or break the bank to buy for almost that long. Got lucky when a client I do lots of printing for got tired of having to send files back and forth for minor changes provided me with one of their licenses for Solidworks so I can do the changes myself.

Not too terribly difficult to learn and the capability of the software is light years above Sketchup or any of the free packages out there. Yes, ridiculously expensive but after using it for a while I've decided that if/when I have to give back the license I'll bite the bullet and pay for the least expensive license available to get my own copy. I don't think I could ever go back to having to do everything in Sketchup or even 123. Fortunately I derive a fair bit of $ from design and print services I provide to a few companies so buying my own copy of S/W isn't as financially painful as it would be otherwise.

MDRvb6 123D can import (and Export) an STL as easily as a native 123d file. Either way you just Import>3D File and point at the STL. The STL opens as a solid (woo-hoo!) and models like any native drawn file.

Robox printer, HICTOP (Prusa i3 variant) Model 3DP17 printer, ELEK 2.5W laser engraver, AutoDesk 123D Design, Windows 10