1 (edited by missmacosx 2013-02-08 09:14:42)

Topic: Poser and OBJ to STL...

Hello friends solidoodle smile

I already printed an object and I am very pleased with the result: a jewelry that makes me happy every day smile thank you thingiverse and SOLIDOODLE smile

Now I want to use files for Poser and Maya for printing.
Is it possible to edit, add matter or leave a channel empty inside, transform ... or should I use other software?

thank you for helping a woman solidoodle

Alix

Re: Poser and OBJ to STL...

Mismacosx,
Poser will export to OBJ, but that's where it ends.  You would need to make the mesh manifold and watertight.  Some of the pieces in Poser models are multiple pieces.  Not so good for printing.  Try it and see what happens.

You could port the pieces into a different modeller (such as Blender or Hexagon) then try to join them together with Boolean functions (Union).  I haven't gone that far as bipedal modelling is not my strong suit.

3 (edited by ysb 2013-02-11 19:58:21)

Re: Poser and OBJ to STL...

i user Poser often as a base for my "heroic fantasy" serie..

it's difficult to prepare the model for 3D printing as Poser is made for Digital picture at first.

you will need to pose your model, then export it as .obj format to something like Netfab to correct the problem of the mesh and try to remove any hole in it . Then when all holes are closed, you need a software to put a "Skin" on it that make it "watertight one mesh solid".

boolean Union didn't work well because it create "wall" inside the model that are difficult to print.. (like between the shoe mesh and the foot mesh...)

a software like materialize magic do it well (it was made for..).. but it's a professional software..

you can also "clean"your model by hand in software like Hexagon (free)

ps : you can use any model from poser for your own need (like Victoria female serie) but you cant give away any model made on a Daz3d base model for 3Dprinting (daz doesn't allow it, not sure if they really can forbid this..but look at Aiko model comments on thingiverse for other information).

But you can use something free like Antonia polygon, or Apollo Maximus