Topic: Uploading Firmware Help

I posted this on the Software/Firmware forum but I'll add it here as well since I am looking for some help

I have a mid-2013 SD2 with a Sanguinololu/atmega 644P board. I am working on updating the Marlin firmware in order to finalize the installation of my E3D-Lite6 hotend. In the process of uploading the firmware I continue to get the following error message:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

I have worked through the various 'reset' button pushes and I am still getting the same error message.

Anybody work through this issue as well? I have spent the last several nights trying to get this new firmware uploaded and have gone through the whole process listed over on the soliwiki (http://www.soliwiki.com/E3D_extruder) several times.

I have been spending the day looking through the forums for similar situations & tips but haven't come across a solution. My assumptions at this point is there may be something wrong with the bootloader on the ATMega644P, I read a post from wardjr that stated older sang boards didn't come with an installed bootloader? I am pretty sure when I initially set up the printer I had to flash the Marlin firmware to get started, but I could be mistaken (it was a few years ago).

Anyway I was hoping someone may have a few tricks to try before I start going down the process of either re-burning a bootloader to the MCU or buying a new MCU. I guess this could be when I upgrade to an ATMega1284p unit..

Some extra info:
I am running Mac OS X 10.10.5 (Yosemite) & am using the Mac OS X prepackaged Arduino 1.0.5 IDE (linked over on pg 3 of the Solidoodle2-marlin firmware update thread). I am using the Marlin firmware that is also linked on pg 1 of that thread

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help.

Mac OS X Yosemite & RH/Slic3r
SD2 w/ E3D-Lite6 hotend
Mk5 extruder assembly w/ E3D Hobb Goblin gear
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Uploading Firmware Help

What version of Arduino are you using?
In tools do you have the proper board selected?
In configuration.h have you selected the correct board number?
Do you save the changes to configuration.h then click verify?
Did you hit the reset button and then click upload?
At that date range you have a bootloader on that board.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

3 (edited by Nate 2015-11-07 21:59:21)

I am using the Arduino 1.0.5 IDE

I have tried the Arduino 0022 IDE but it didn't have the Sanguino W/ ATMega644P board listed

I have the Sanguino W/ ATMega644P board selected and for my serial port: /dev/tty.ubserial-A6015XYO... I have also tried the /dev/cu.ubserial-A6015XYO port too.

in my configuration.h file I have:

#define MOTHERBOARD 62 (Is that what your talking about?)

I have saved the changes prior to verifying and I have hit the reset button just before uploading, during compiling, holding it down for up to ten seconds and other shorter time intervals (I believe those were suggestions at arduino.cc)

SD2 w/ E3D-Lite6 hotend
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm no mac expert so I can't even confirm if any of this is possible.
To that end just bare with me as we try and figure things out.
I doubt it'll matter but you can pull the sang files from the more recent version and place them in the hardware folder of 022.
You need to ensure that whatever com port your computer is connecting to the board through is the same as is selected in Arduino.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

EXCELLENT!! I FINALLY got the firmware to upload with the changes.

Thanks wardjr for your help, I REALLY appreciate it!!

I tried moving the sanguino folder from the Arduino 1.0.5 IDE hardware folder to the Arduino 0022 IDE hardware folder as you suggested but I was getting several errors when I went to verify the program. But your thoughts put me on the right track.

So this is what ended up working for me incase another Mac user comes across this same issue. I believe the whole thing was mostly 'user error' & a Mac thing ha...

I was placing the sanguino folder in a Arduino/libraries directory that is under my main Documents folder (I read on an Arduino forum that on a Mac this more-or-less achieves the same thing as placing it within the hardware folder on a PC) but when I went to use the Arduino 0022 IDE I could never find my board. That is why I moved on to using the prepackaged Arduino 1.0.5 IDE, because I could find my board when using it.

However, this time I placed the sanguino folder directly into the hardware folder within the Arduino 0022 application, because of your input. The hardware folder is buried on a Mac but you need to right-click on the Arduino application and select "show package contents" and then go through the sub-directories until you get to the hardware folder [/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware]

I also started with a freshly downloaded Marlin firmware and made the needed adjustments to the configuration.h file for the E3D-Lite6 hotend.

I am not sure why the prepackaged Mac Arduino 1.0.5 IDE didn't work for me but my firmware flashed using 0022 so I am happy.

On another note in the Marlin firmware configuration.h file the bed temp sensor was defined like this:

#define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 6

But I read somewhere that the temp sensor, even for the bed is suppose to be #1 so I changed my configuration.h file to this:

#define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 1

Can you confirm if that is correct or is the temp sensor for the bed suppose to be #6?

Again, I appreciate your help big_smile

SD2 w/ E3D-Lite6 hotend
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It should be 1 for the bed.

Glad to hear you worked through it.