Re: Panelolu Complete Guide

@BloodEskimo

How did you flash the firmware? Did you choose 1284p 16Mhz in arduino 0022 software?

breaker wrote:

@BloodEskimo

How did you flash the firmware? Did you choose 1284p 16Mhz in arduino 0022 software?

Yes... then choose the firmware (Marlin.pde) and pressed Upload, waited for the “Binary Sketch Size…” to appear then I pushed the reset button on the Solidoodle 2 mainboard.

JB

Lawsy, could there be an issue with the SD card in the current firmware?  That's 3 reports, have you seen any trouble?   I could check my SDSL for shorts, but it worked on its own before I plugged in the fan.  Then again, I haven't used it since the last update or two.

Out of the three, one is known to be a short circuit. Breaker's problem is likely similar. When you think about it, there are so many things that could go wrong when you consider a single wire out of all of them in the wrong place could cause the errors we are seeing.

Your one is really strange, what changes did you make to the firmware to enable the fan control? If they both worked separately then perhaps there was a pin clash.

That might be it.  It requires turning on Pin 4, if it wasn't already.

56 (edited by pretenda 2012-10-29 21:22:01)

Just a quick note to those who are going to do this, the quickest and cheapest way ive found from experience desoldering other boards (and this board confirms it), get a solder sucker, (like this one: http://m.bunnings.com.au/OurRange/Searc … g-Pump/667) prime it and hold it under the board on the correct pin, then heat the pin up from the top side. Gravity and suction pull the solder straight out. Took me about 5 minutes to do it.

Thanks for the guide lawzzy,
took 3 hours all up including an hour frigging around with the bootloader, forgot to add the avrdude.ini to the tools folder.. noob arduino mistake...

few notes from me on the kit hardware..

Only thing I needed extra apart from the kit was the 14 pin header for the SD2. This is not included in the kit obviously.

The spacers on the back of the SD2 pcb are not fixed, so be prepared for them to fall out when removing the screws holding the electronics in place. My holes where open on the SD2, no desoldering needed.

Instructions are a bit vague if you do not know all the terminology,
line numbers for the defines in the marlin Configuration.h are different than the text mentioning it on github.
All I did was uncomment line 294 "#define ULTIPANEL  //the ultipanel as on thingiverse"

The github page has removed the # from the #define and prints lin large bold text on my computer instead.
Need to open the marlin.pde and find the Configuration.h file in there.

Chip selected in board/tools was the Sanguine W/ATmega1284p 16MHz 

Block of white on the SD card pcb is the pin 1 marker for the connector. I was not sure whch way it went in for a while.

I used pin 1 away from the reset switch on the little slave pcb holding the rotary encoder. Matches the pins numbering marked on the diagram then.

rotary encoder can go in either way .. buit must be the 2 pins on one side closest to edge of the pcb.

need to splay out the mounting legs so its fits over the edge of the pcb and with some long nose plier work can be clamped to the pcb edges.

components mount on the non track side of the pcb obviosuly.

the 2 trimpots are the same value so contrast and brighness pots are interchangeable.

I left the cable at 24 pins wide to make it easier to line up in the clamps, then peel back wires 23 and 24 and snip off close to the connector. easier to line up that way.
make sure wires 1 and 2 are insulated from each other and can't touch the chassis, they are capable of high current and are not used currently.

I have left the cable at full kit length, about 1 metre .. its too long, I have seen some corruption on the LCD, (though not since I flashed it with the SD marlin) this is likely a cable length capacitance problem, could easily remove a foot and the cable would be fine length wise.

All I have to do now is find something I can plug the SD card into to reformat it .. its full of a HTC android hack.

ok, two more notes ..

1 .. to use the screws in the kit you need to drill the holes in the LCD out to 3mm, it is just under that I guess.
2 .. suggest filling the unused holes, pins 23 and 24 on the header on the cable so it cannot possibly be plugged into the SD one pin out. cause .. I just printed the case, assembled it and did just that .. the LCD is dead smile 12v is applied to the VDD .. poof. ebay replacement for the display .. $8 with free post, all good.

Been a crazy week for me but this weekend and next week I plan to transfer this guide to soliwiki. Feel free to edit in any additional pointers once I do.

breaker wrote:

I did find another Knob that should work for the new kits. The Knob from lawsy is not working for me. Maybe this one will fit:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:28332

Thanks for posting this, saved me hunting, worked fine for me, its deeper and smaller shaft hole than the other version, fits like a glove though I had to pick away a couple of errant loops of ABS.

just a note for those calibrating the extruder and using a panelolu like me .. to change the steps per mm for the extruder etc, do not bother with changing the steps/mm in the config.h as per ians blog .. it makes no difference smile, I calibrated extruder and had to change the 138 to 118.96 .. edited config.h, save and upgrade did nothing, compile and upgrade did nothing, edit extruder steps on the panelolu and save .. job done

Even if you don't have the panel, you can do it without going into firmware using the M92 command, i.e. M92 E104.

IanJohnson wrote:

Even if you don't have the panel, you can do it without going into firmware using the M92 command, i.e. M92 E104.

is that persistent ? I did not try it as I thought it was needed each boot. doh!

re SD printing, I have just tried my second SD print (different file) and both have stopped mid print .. any ideas ?

The commands aren't persistent, but you could put them in the start code.

Any of these calibration commands can be made persistent by saving them to the EEPROM. Repetier-Host can do this as can the Panelolu.

Stoney, you wouldn't have seen the changes because it reads from the EEPROM first before the firmware for these. There is a g-code command to clear the stored settings and go from the firmware.

Anyone have trouble with this mod? I carefully followed each step as outlined on this guide (thanks again, lawsy!), but when I connected everything up and powered on, there was just a blue screen. In addition, it seemed as if the sanguinololu would reset every 10 seconds, because the motors would do one step, and I was always waiting for 4 more processes after connecting to repetier (since I couldn't verify that I even had a menu). I am assuming I have a loose connection, but unsure.
I did, however, use hippy cable (rainbow) instead of the included grey cable to id each connection a bit better- it seemed to be the same diameter.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
SD2 with Sanguinololu board, glass bed mod, E3d_v5 bowden version hotend (currently direct drive), Lawsy Mk5 jigsaw replacement, octopi printserver, drv8825(tiny troubles)

67 (edited by Wavesurf 2013-01-16 14:13:17)

I had a blue screen when my screws were too tight,
My front case panel is warped.  I didn't want to reprint it and everything fit together, but when I cranked down the screws the panel went blank.  I had to cut down the ribbon clamp so that it wouldn't press against the LCD board but I still can't tighten it too much without losing the LCD.

If the panel is not working, use a multimeter to check your wiring against the schematic.  I did a terrible job soldering the board and found a short.  Also, I used a different ATMega chip on another Sanguinololu and the panelolu would not scroll, even though I used the same Solidoodle Firmware. (slightly modified for my CNC.)

68 (edited by Wavesurf 2013-01-16 14:14:51)

Anyone know how to get a layer update to show on the screen in the 4th row? (i.e. Layer 1 of x). Was this already done somewhere?  A layer G-code entry for Slic3r would be great.  (the percentage complete is nice and already there but I'd like to use the dormant 4th line during printing.)

If not, I'll have to dig into the code and figure it out myself and I'd rather save the time if someone out there has already cracked this nut.

Thanks to Lawsy for the great guide.  I had problems with your knob on my board but I found one from the original "Thing" that was thicker and had a smaller hole and worked great.

Your post has made me add my updated perl script I had previously written to achieve what you speak of.

http://www.soliforum.com/post/9722/#p9722

Enjoy.

70 (edited by coleke 2013-01-17 14:06:15)

Any way to update the perl so the bottom line says nothing but "nyan"? over and over? I present.... the Nyanelolu mod!
Oops- for some reason the photo loads upside down.

Post's attachments

dazzling_tumelo-amberis.stl 58.38 kb, 10 downloads since 2013-01-17 

nyanhead (1).stl 22.25 kb, 10 downloads since 2013-01-17 

nyan_panelolu_front_right2 (1).stl 204.67 kb, 11 downloads since 2013-01-17 

Photo Jan 17, 8 54 15 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 17, 8 54 15 AM.jpg 2.27 mb, 3 downloads since 2013-01-17 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
SD2 with Sanguinololu board, glass bed mod, E3d_v5 bowden version hotend (currently direct drive), Lawsy Mk5 jigsaw replacement, octopi printserver, drv8825(tiny troubles)

Thanks, Lawsy.  Works great.

Will this still work on the new solidoodle motherboard?
Still waiting for my SD2.

Solidoodle 2 Pro Model (New Solidoodle Motherboard and Aluminum Bed)
www.360virtualtourist.com

I don't think so.