Re: Panelolu Complete Guide

Lawsy what's your opinion on the length of the ribbon cable connecting the panelolu to the solidoodle. It seems like its actually short enough that you couldn't really get the assembly really close to the front of the printer. Do you think itd be worth getting one with a little more length or maybe one with a female connector as an extension? Granted I'm only going by pictures with my analysis

27 (edited by lawsy 2012-10-05 00:11:08)

When I put mine together, I stuffed up in one of the first steps, where I thought I was working with a 22 pin cable and not a 24 pin cable. Therefore all of the wiring was 2 pins out so I had to cut a section off and start again.

Without this mistake the ribbon cable would be about 10 inches longer, which would easily get the display at the front of the machine.

Thanks for the quick reply as usual. I'm glad to hear it is enough wire, I don't really know why I just think that'd bug me a bit. Really glad to have someone like you in the community, you've made it much easier for all of us future owners

I've given this a try, and ran into a few issues.

The back cover is upside down. Pardon my noobness, so I imported it in Sketchup, flipped it and exported as STL, then slic3d it (which made a completely different item out of it, which I noticed after printing...). Then I cloud netfabbed the modified flipped backside and then slic3r was able to make something decent out of it.

It's not clear to me what to do with the extra wires coming out of the SDHC card reader (maybe I glanced over that). Can I cut these off?

The shaft of the rotary encoder sticks out 8.5mm, the recession in the knob is 3.5mm, and it's a very loose fit. Did you grind down the rotary encoder or did I get a different one?

http://i.imgur.com/nNGbi.jpg

The back cover only needs flipping in your software. The way you have imported into Sketchup, reversed it and reexported was completely unnecessary. This is is a 1 min fix in either Repetier or ReplicatorG.

As for the knob, the instructions on Thingiverse state:

Push on the knob. This should be a tight fit and may require trimming with a sharp knife to the opening to get the right balance between fitting and tight.

I designed a new knob to better fit, did you use my design? There has to be clearance for the button to click down and not touch, which is why it's not as close as you might expect.

As for the extra wires, I did trim them off and it wasn't mentioned in the post. I suppose if you didn't trim it probably wouldn't make a difference.

lawsy wrote:

The back cover only needs flipping in your software.

Can't figure out how to do it in Slic3r/Repetier, Google is also letting me down. There's a rotate in Repetiers that randomly throws my objects around and there is a rotate in slic3r that can only rotate on a horizontal plane. Anyway that's my problem and has nothing to do with your beautiful howto (other than that I'm the first to follow it and leave feedback regarding it).

lawsy wrote:

I designed a new knob to better fit, did you use my design? There has to be clearance for the button to click down and not touch, which is why it's not as close as you might expect.

Yep, got your knob. Clearance needed for the button click is 0.5mm, I have a 5mm gap. Combined with the loose fit, I'm guessing I have a different rotary encoder? My board is also different (I've got a red one). Maybe it's because I ordered the DIY kit and not the preassembled one.

Or maybe you uploaded a button that doesn't fit with the case? The photos here and on your Thingiverse page are also from a different case, so the design was changed after you build it.

I don' t know.

I guess I'll just grind down the rotary encoder and use ABS glue to make the knob fit.

Thanks!

Regarding rotate in Repetier, the trick is to hit the center button after applying a rotation, as like you say the part can fly off the screen somewhere.

I did update the deign from the original picture, as I added some area in the bottom right for my fan switch. I kept the exact same knob, however. Funny one about the fit, your idea might be spot on. The original Panelolu knob was much tighter for me, hence me designing the new one. Maybe try and print one of them?

33 (edited by macmub 2012-10-17 02:26:39)

Finally decided to open up my kit and have a crack at this.
Glad I did, not as bad as I first thought.

1 question,
Should the 6/2 pin black connectors and headers be a snug slide fit or fairly loose?
Ive noticed mine go together easy enough but not much is holding them there, its quite a sloppy fit.
Is that ok or is there a problem?

Edit: How long should I make my ribbon cable? Ill be using the LCD on the side and the top.

Thanks guys.

The connectors will be inside the Panelolu case and not really subject to falling out. So if they feel  tad loose that should be fine.

As for the ribbon cable I assume you'd want it as long as possible. If you change you mind later you can redo the big connector shown in step 8 and trim the excess ribbon cable.

lawsy wrote:

The connectors will be inside the Panelolu case and not really subject to falling out. So if they feel  tad loose that should be fine.

As for the ribbon cable I assume you'd want it as long as possible. If you change you mind later you can redo the big connector shown in step 8 and trim the excess ribbon cable.

I should reiterate how impressed I am with this mod. I wonder how hard it would be to make the screen do more elaborate things - perhaps a joy stick to manually move the print head as in pronterface.

Just a thought.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Thanks Lawsy,

I managed to get everything together then break the 24 pin connector that I needed to attach! ahhrggg, last thing I need to do!!
Just ordered another one off ebay, its a 26 pin IDC connector, im assuming that should work ok.

All i need now is my printer :-)

Thanks again

My kit arrived yesterday, I've wired it all up, now all I need is my printer. I'm hoping auspost has it for me tomorrow.

Just one thing for the tutorial, which is no biggie at all, there is nowhere that says to terminate the end of cable B, unless I've missed it.

I must say though, there has to be a better way than this to wire this up. I was thinking a pcb that had breakout headers on it might be feasible. When I get to print the case ill have a look.

Just printed out the knob for my kit (after spending the whole night unclogging the damn thing) and it is the wrong size like AgentOrange, i got the kit version as well, im assuming they are different encoders between the two versions.

Just doubled checked the guide and directions for both ends of B are given. As for the knob, I can imagine that they have changed the kit a little. My advice is to try and print the original knob from the case my STL is derived from.

Must have missed that bit, no biggie. I have the other knob downloaded and ready to print, will give it a shot in the morning. Thanks for an awesome guide, can't wait to finish it off.

pretenda wrote:

Must have missed that bit, no biggie. I have the other knob downloaded and ready to print, will give it a shot in the morning. Thanks for an awesome guide, can't wait to finish it off.

The kobs on these are actually pretty cool. We didn't notice this detail till you brought it up.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

solidoodlesupport wrote:
pretenda wrote:

The kobs on these are actually pretty cool. We didn't notice this detail till you brought it up.

They are pretty cool. I am really impressed with how well the solidoodle lines up its layers. Sorry about the crap photo. My phone wouldn't focus on it. The ridges are amazing.

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 185.43 kb, 3 downloads since 2012-10-26 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

43 (edited by breaker 2012-10-27 23:13:04)

Hi all,

thanks for the great tutorial lawsy. I do have a problem with my installation.

For flashing the new chip 1280p I had to choose Sanigolu 1280p 16Hz ,was this right? The 8Hz option didnt work for me.

After flashing everything works fine except the Move axes option.

I did upload a video to youtube. Hopefully there is a solution for my problem with the Panelolu.

http://youtu.be/i5SyNaTcbzg

I did fid another Knob that should work for the new kits. The Knob from lawsy is not working for me. Maybe this one will fit:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:28332

Is there a particular name for the crimp connectors? I'd like to get some spares and cannot find the right ones on the net any where :-(

Hallo

I received my Solidoodle 2 the other day and it survived all the way to Denmark.  :-)

The Solidoodle 2 works fine, but I have tried to get the Panelolu kit to work that I bought on e-bay.

I followed this great tutorial, but when I connect the Panelolu kit line 1 and 3 is blinking every 10 second and the Solidoodle also makes a click sound when the display is blinking. No menu, no text. :-(

I tried connecting the USB cable and connecting the Solidoodle in Pronterface. When the display blinks and it makes the click sound it puts out this message:

start
Printer is now online.
echo:Marlin 1.0.0
echo: Last Updated: 2012-09-17 | Author: Lawsy
echo: Free Memory: 12528  PlannerBufferBytes: 1232
echo:Stored settings retreived:
echo:Steps per unit:
echo:  M92 X88.00 Y88.00 Z2268.00 E138.00
echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
echo:  M203 X500.00 Y500.00 Z5.00 E45.00
echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
echo:  M201 X9000 Y9000 Z100 E10000
echo:Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration
echo:  M204 S3000.00 T3000.00
echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum xY jerk (mm/s),  Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s)
echo:  M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X20.00 Z0.40 E5.00
echo:Home offset (mm):
echo:  M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00
echo:PID settings:
echo:   M301 P22.20 I1.08 D114.00

When I disconnect the Panelolu kit and turn on the Solidoodle it is as normal, but with the "SD init fail" error.

I spend 9 hours yesterday assembling the kit and trying to get it working. I must have flashed the Atmega1284 chip almost 50 times. I went through all the connections on the Panelolu kit with a multimeter and there was no bad connections.

In the Firmware all you have to do is to remove the // from //#define ULTIPANEL, right?

Now I hit rock bottom. I really need some help. Could it be a bad kit?

Thanks
JB

The line to uncomment in configuration.h is currently 302.

Check that you have the main ribbon cable plugged in correctly. From memory it's very easy to have it shifted a couple of pins up or down.

When I first power up the machine, lines 1 and 3 of the lcd do light up by themselves for about 10 seconds during the setup phase, then after that the display is populated properly.

I set up a Gcode controlled fan on my sanguinololu which used the 12v and GND pins (which the Panelolu doesn't use) and one of the signal pins.  I found that if the SDSL was also plugged in, the board would just restart over and over.  If I unplugged the SDSL it was fine.  I don't know if there might be the same kind of conflict, but you could try disconnecting the card reader and see if there is any difference.

48 (edited by breaker 2012-10-28 17:24:38)

I did try the baord without SDSL but still no luck. I do get articatcs on the screen when using it.

Did try to flash mit arduino 0023 but that didnt work. Flashing was fine bt the LCD didnt act like it should have.

I cant flash with 8Mhz only with 16MHz . Is this alright?

Can I fry the lcd when connecting the 6 pin connectors the wrong way?

Hallo

A big thank you from me to lawsy and Ian.

Thank you lawsy for confirming line 302 in configuration.h.

Thank you Ian for pointing me in the direction of the SD-card reader. After removing the SD-card reader it worked and after taking a closer look at the SD-card reader I noticed that there was a short circuit with a piece of solder on some of the legs/pins. I removed the solder and now it is working. :-)

Thanks
JB

breaker wrote:

I did try the baord without SDSL but still no luck. I do get articatcs on the screen when using it.

Did try to flash mit arduino 0023 but that didnt work. Flashing was fine bt the LCD didnt act like it should have.

I cant flash with 8Mhz only with 16MHz . Is this alright?

Can I fry the lcd when connecting the 6 pin connectors the wrong way?

I flashed with Arduino 0022, Sanguino W/ ATmega1284p 16mhz and it is now working after a little trouble with the SD-card reader.

JB