Topic: Blue or green laser instead of the standard red??

I'm thinking of using a blue laser instead of the standard red.  It appears to be much more visible on black surfaces than the red.

The only question is whether or not the internal algorithms in FreeLSS will be able to deal with it.

Uriah's input would be useful here before I spend $15-20 on a couple of line lasers.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

Re: Blue or green laser instead of the standard red??

blue lasers are more hazardous for eyes also remember

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Pirvan, the software will handle blue and green lasers without any changes required.  Make sure you get a 5V laser instead of 3V one and let me know if you need any assistance.  I'd love to hear any feedback from your experiences with them.

Uriah

pirvan wrote:

I'm thinking of using a blue laser instead of the standard red.  It appears to be much more visible on black surfaces than the red.

The only question is whether or not the internal algorithms in FreeLSS will be able to deal with it.

Uriah's input would be useful here before I spend $15-20 on a couple of line lasers.

If you go with blue or green I would advise you to get IR blocking laser safety glasses as well. Most of those cheap green and blue lasers are chinese laser and they do not comply with NRC regulations in that they should have an IR filter in place and only output the blue or green lines. To make the green or blue output they use a very high wattage IR laser diode and pass that through a KTP frequency doubling or tripling crystal to cause a frequncy shift in to the desired lines at the cost of wattage output. So you have two outputs of IR and the desired line. These almost always dump a massive amount of IR as well which is usually in the rang of several hundred milliwatts for a blue or green of just a few milliwatts. This IR is invisible so you will have no reflex reaction like with bright visible light. But is at a high enough output that even a momentary reflection could do irreparable damage to your eyes.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I couldn't find any green laser module @ 5v. They're all in the 3v range. I might try to step down the voltage instead.

These here, claim to work at 3 to 5V

http://www.ebay.com/itm/532nm-10mW-Industrial-Green-Laser-Line-Module-Long-Time-Working-DC3-5V-/381158488746?hash=item58bed0faaa:g:FY0AAOSwDNdV3SsO

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

7 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-11-03 00:24:02)

Another note of caution on these laser. Especially if you buy from outside the US.. It is now illegal to ship a laser that is capable of more than 5mw into the US unless you have special permission in writing or can prove you are a manufacturer and that the lasers are going into a finished product that will conform with all US CDR regulations. The laser will be confiscated by Customs unless you are in their database as a qualified receiver for anything over 5mw. You can thank all those idiots that shine them at planes for this new legislation.

Of course if your not in the US you may want to contact your countries Customs and inspection office. It would be sad to order or buy a laser but then be unable to receive it.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.